Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ROADKILL  (Read 5968 times)

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
ROADKILL
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:28:01 PM »

being that i live in suburban los angeles county, bout the only thing i ever see run over is an occasional opossum, a cat or dog.. and man.lol  sometimes i can really smell em too (really ripe). Luckily i have never hit an animal while riding..Has anyone ever hit an animal on your bike? did ya keep on truckin?almost wreck? I have been wondering about  how to handle it  if/when it happens. Once i ran over some ducks in Utah but i was in my  truck. i didnt stop  all i saw was feathers in the rear view mirror  [smiley=laugh.gif]
~late~ Cann

mfgreen

Re: ROADKILL
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:32:45 PM »

being that i live in suburban los angeles county, bout the only thing i ever see run over is an occasional opossum, a cat or dog.. and man.lol

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:36:34 PM »

how did you react ? swerve? hang on tight ,,steer straight          juz curious
~late~ Cann

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 07:25:23 AM »

My girlfriend and I were coming back from the lake last summer when a group of dogs ran out in front of her.  She hit the brake as she hit the biggest dog. The bike and her went down. It was all I could do to keep  from running over her. It is not my best memory when you see a loved one sliding on the pavement. I held her in a pool of blood till the ambulance came. Road rash everywhere. Big hole in her knee. At about 3:00 the next morning the emergency room doctor  said "LOOK" as he pulled  out a 1/4 inch piece of the mirror that was embedded in her face. Wasn't the best of times for us. BUT, she's a survivor, she healed up in about 3 months and although she doesn't remember the accident, I still see it EVERY day.

So everytime we ride I debate on whether she's in front or behind me.  I never want to see that vision again!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 09:34:10 AM »

I've hit two large dogs.  One was on my '47 knucklehead chopper which I just held straight-on and the 18" tire on extended forks bounced over as it killed the dog instantly.  I love dogs and hated it but the dog was a car/bike chaser and he died as a result.  The other dog was already dead in the hwy......black, at night, never saw it until my softtail and I went straight up in the air over it.  Felt like I'd run over a railroad tye in the road.  People w/ me said the bike went up a foot or so and I was waaaaaay above it holding on to just the handlebar grips.....lucky to not go down.  Riding at night has it's perils, for sure.  Deer are my biggest fear as they are so abundant on the two lane back roads, esp. down south where I ride a lot.  I'm always open to any suggestions as to how to better deal w/ this hazard. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 09:55:04 AM »

God help you if you hit a deer while on a bike. As for other road debris, if you don't have time to stop or safely avoid an object, don't do anything...no brake, no countersteer...as you will be down before you know it. Hang on and ride over it. I'm talking about a 2x4 pipe, dog, duck sized objects. I once drove over a 4x4 piece of wood, about 6 feet long..was at night and there was nothing else to do. Hit hard, bike went up and over and I hung on to the bars...pulled over and parked...(checked shorts)...suprisingly no damage. A friend rode into a diesel spill and the bike tried to swap ends. He didn't brake or try to steer and rode out of it. He is a retired motor officer and I think instinct and experience saved his butt. The training I have gone thru has you ride over objects (on their bikes) like 2x4's. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 09:56:40 AM »

2 years ago I hit a baby raccoon.  Also felt like a railroad tie on the front, and then squisy on the rear.  Felt horrible! [smiley=cry2.gif]

I've hit a buck with my car... I don't even want to imagine what'd have happened on the bike.  [smiley=nervous.gif]  

hd2003... She's riding again after that? That's a bad ass girl you got.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 04:53:59 PM »

DJW

She is a bad ass girl!
Everyday I thank God she is still here! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 05:11:38 PM by hd2003-se2005 »

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 05:13:55 PM »

[smiley=oops.gif]
[smiley=oops.gif]

Thanks Mike, You are da "MAN"!

It's corrected now!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 06:51:13 PM »

Obviously the key is avoidance. But sometimes traffic or other conditions won't let you see what you need to see. Bad thing is -   you can't often tell which way animals will go so you've got to make a split scecond decision. If you can; swerve to avoid. If you must hit an animal or other object; brake hard, stay straight, look where you want to go (not at the object), release the brake, shift weight to your rear and accelerate a little to bring up the front end and hope it all goes well. I've had to cross a 4 x 4 and various animals and while a bit unnerved have survived unscathed. If it's a cow, deer, moose, etc. I suggest prayer.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 07:55:28 PM »

Obviously the key is avoidance. But sometimes traffic or other conditions won't let you see what you need to see. Bad thing is -

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 09:24:38 PM »

ride thru it, don't try to brake as you hit the object or counter steer or you will be down. If you have time what he said is right on. Varying experience and skill levels complicate things. I watched a newer rider panic  

I'm a new rider,for the street, i've had dirt bikes & a Lt250r
I really appreciate the tips. the idea of panicing is not knowing what to do..and perhaps
reading these helpful tips will come to mind if the situation ever arrives.
things like lumber or construction equipment on the freeway at night is a real possibilty
for me.Riding early in the morning to commute to work.all kinds of weird things goin on at that time ....

~late~ Cann

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 09:37:40 PM »

Last year I was coming back from the races when two little pigs were running straight at me in my lane.  I don't think I could have split them(go in between them).  I swerved into the other lane just in time.  I don't know what would have happened had I hit them.  I probably would have hit each one with a lower.
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 10:11:33 PM »

About two years ago the wife and I were on my roadking on a 2lane road going about 25mph. As we crested a hill I saw a medium sized dog on the side of the road. I did what your suppost to do, slow down as you approach, then accelerate when you get past. Just as I was about to accelerate the dog darted into the road. I was going about 10-15 mph and t boned the dog. The dog got stuck under the front tire and locked it up. The bike slid sideways and the wife and I went down. Fortunatelly for us we did not get hurt at all. The bike did not go all of the way over, it slid on the front crash bar and pipe. The dog did not make it. We felt really bad for the dog and the owners, (It was in front of thier house).

As many have said, be aware of all around you!!! Be prepared for anything!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 09:26:48 AM »

DJW, What does the motorcycle police training say about roadkill hazards,

Keeping head up, look where you are going, Keep going straight that kind of thing.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.