Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Amsoil  (Read 6165 times)

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
Amsoil
« on: March 07, 2004, 01:07:56 PM »

here's the oil comparison......i think it pretty obvious.  

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/harleydavidsonoilgaw.htm
stock for now

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Amsoil
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 07:46:22 PM »

SERK I really appreciate that link and the information.  I probably will not switch personally......just too much hassel.  And however bad the Syn3 might be, it's still a huge leep for mankind, from the fossil oil.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 06:14:49 PM »

I was wondering if any CVO owners switched to Amsoil?
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 08:23:42 AM »

I put Red Line synthetic,  in everything Primary, Tranny & Motor.  Used in my Road King never had a problem.  [smiley=biker.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 10:48:21 AM »

I changed the trasmission fluid the other day.  Bike had 2,230 miles, fluid (Syn 3) had about 1,600 on it.  I could not believe the amount of metal particles attached to the magnetic drain plug!  Started investigating on other boards and on Harley Tech Talk there was a current thread on this.  Even mentioned that H-D has posted a technical service bulletin stating not to use Syn 3 in the transmission, though I have not seen the TSB myself, yet.  I put Syn 3 back in since I had already purchased it, but may try Red Line heavy duty shockproof or Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube next time and see what the plug looks like with it.  According to some of the folks in the HTT thread, switching to a gear-specific lube all but eliminated the particles on the plug.

Anyone else notice this?

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 01:02:17 PM »

spoke with the service manager at the local HD dealer asking his opinion on the use of syn oil and his response was that it is OK but, not for tranny use and the reason he gave was 1) less noise from gearbox especially at hyway speeds (a good thing I suppose) and 2) tranny shifts a little easier/quieter (less clunking). I am going to test his conclusions on my trip to laconia. Will let you know my sentiments in a week or so when I return.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 01:03:08 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 03:27:11 PM »

Per some of the suggestions I was checking out some of the comments on the Harley Tech Talk site.  Long story short I'm going to have an Oil Lab test Samples from Engine, Trans and Primary and see what the results are.  I have been running Syn3 in all 3 holes for about 2500 Miles.  The test will be conducted against a virgin sample so we should have some good results.  This will be a couple of weeks down the road but I will post results here and on the HDTT board also.

[smiley=beerchug.gif]
'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 09:33:51 AM »

So you are say that HD no longer recommends Syn3 in the tranny.  If so they are not telling poeple. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 07:13:19 PM »

The guy I spoke with was just the service manager for the LOCAL harley dealer,  he does not speak for the MOCO he was passing on his personel experience. My conclusion thus far (after about 200 miles using BelRay gear lube 85-140w purchased at HD $3.95qt) the tranny is definately noticably quieter while cruising (quieter, cheaper...I'm sold), however at this point I am not ready to concede that the clunking has improved or shifting is easier. More miles are needed!!! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Will follow up for those interested... Laconia bound [smiley=party2.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 10:39:47 PM »

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 01:39:41 PM »

2000 more miles on the BelRay 85-140 and I would definately recommend using the heavier lube in the tranny, it shifts smoother, clunks a little less and is much quieter at high speeds. It is most noticable when the motor gets really hot, it continues to maintain the quietness versus the syn3 got louder the hotter the bike got. Now I understand Mobil 1 has synthetic gear lube, I am going to check it out will report back. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 03:43:31 PM »

Dang!  Now I'm really confused.  Common sense tells me that a lube, syn or other, that has a higher shear/weight designed to work in a gear box would be better than any motor oil; but, and this is a big "but" for me.....the MOCO is putting the syn oil in the gear box from the start and recommending it be used.  The warrenty and convenience of getting it 'on the road' w/o having to pack it make me reluctant to go back to Amsol, Redline, or Mobil.  HELP  
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 04:10:45 PM »

Dang!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 10:35:42 PM by twolanerider »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 04:44:24 PM »

TwoLane........you're so right!  Thanks for the input.  Makes sense to me, I'm leaving (if the weather will cooperate) for Daytona tomorrow, so I'll have to wait 'till I return to make the switch, but since I've already got over 22K miles on the syn3 in the tranny, another thou or so won't break it (hopefully).  I'll change to the Amsoil I think.  I really wish the MoCo wouldn't pull this kinda crap on us, but since I've been dealing with it for over 35 years, you would think I'd be getting use to it , huh?  Thanks for the advice.  spyd
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »

Does anybody know what the recommended oil weight and type of AMSOIL for all the different cases... Motor ,Trans,Chain... I looked on the Amsoil Web site and there is a lot of different weights and types...they even specify  chaincase 2000 oil  and have different listings for severe pressure trans oil but I do not know what they recommend for our 103.

Anybody talk to a rep and get up-to-date specifics?

Thanks,
LeRoy.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.