Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 7927 times)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
Helmets
« on: January 09, 2004, 08:44:55 AM »

What are your thoughts?? (keep it nice everyone!)

http://www.sasnet.com/bro/states/50state.html

2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

ashcraft

Re: Helmets
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 09:23:16 AM »

In Kentucky helmets are optional, as is Indiana just across the river. Tennessee requires them, as well as Nevada [but trikes in Nevada don't.] I usually wear a helmet, but not always. I almost always wear one in heavy traffic around cities and at rush hour.
I think they should be optional everywhere, as long as you accept the risk. Isn't part of the allure of m/c that they are more 'free' and 'dangerous' than cars?
2K2 SERK, purple
2K3 FF Electra-glide Classic

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 09:29:51 AM »

This is going to be an interesting poll Cabo.  Being from California we love helmets.........like hell.  Never wore one before the helmet law and I don't wear one traveling through the states that don't require them.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 09:33:25 AM »

I wear a helmet on long trips, it keeps my head out of the direct sun and I feel cooler, otherwise it's just a cap.
2004 FLHTCSE

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 09:53:45 AM »

we have to wear them in MA, when traveling outside of my state i wear one on the highway and go without on side roads
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

fxr4

• ride it like you stole it
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 01:47:27 PM »

It's the law in TN. so I wear one. If not required I don't wear it.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 11:31:03 PM »

Regardless of state law I wear them. Spent a year at Franciscan Chilidrens Hospital doing Neuropsychological evaluations on helmetless/seatbeltless young men. Not pretty. A friend of mine didn't make it around a turn, drove his bike off the road and hit a tree. He lost a small chunk of his brain in the right parietal region (Front forehead & right temple side). He lived and recovered. Remember, although you might hear that people recovered, you don't always learn about their quality of life. I visited my friend a few months after his accident in order to assist in trying to bring more of his memories back. He knew that he knew me but he did't know why. We sat on a picknick table along a beach, and some 8 & 9 year old girls walked by and he started saying "Hey babe, nice body, hey hey hey...etc." Again, it wasn't pretty. A collegue neuropsychologist of mine worked mostly with adults for many years and motorcycle closed/open head injuries were all too plentiful.  I've got no problem with personal choice and I respect peoples choice to decide how they might want to live.      

rturn2mow

• HOG
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 11:27:48 AM »

Not required in Florida. I make my decison to wear on many factors...weather for one (rain and or cold is a yes). Long journey, yes. I have a couple bikes and when on my crotch rocket, it is a definte yes. Local rides on the Harley (which is 95% of my riding) I do not, even on some longer rides. I like to have the choice but would not raise a huge protest if it were required. It was for a while and it didn't bother me (only when sitting in traffic in Daytona during a bike event when its 90 plus degrees, it does get kinda hot)
On a note about injuries, I suffered a very serious head injury in 1996, not on a motorcycle, so I know all to well what it is like and what the costs and reprocusions can be, having gone through that I still think it should be up to the rider.
On another note (you would think that this would really convince me) let me tell you about how a helmet law indirectly saved my life. I was going to Atlanta for the Harley 100th kick off party. I had been riding with the flow of traffic up I-75 for a quite a while, even had a few thumbs up from some people in cars I had been cruising with for many miles. The guy who I was riding with realized and notified me about 10 miles into Georgia that they have a helmet law. We quickly pulled over to the birm and put on our helmets, back riding immediately. About 10 miles later up ahead of us we see a huge fireball rise into the air. It was a very horrible accident involving 2 semi trucks, 4 cars and a church van. Several people were killed, most of them were burnt. It was the same group of cars that we were riding with earlier. Had we not stopped to put on our helmets, I am convinced we would have been right there in that tragedy as well. I personally will never forget what I saw there the rest of my life. Hopefully none of you will ever have to witness that.
Rick
'04 Ultra
'02 FLHRCI w/Big Bore HO kit w/SE Peformance Heads, flat top forged pistons, SE257 cams, SE Race tuner, Kerker pipes, SE adjustable pushrods, high performance clutch, SE springs, touring oil cooler and lotsa chrome.

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 11:39:40 AM »

(only when sitting in traffic in Daytona during a bike event when its 90 plus degrees, it does get kinda hot)

I've never been to a bike rally but I've seen the pictures of bikes lined up as far as you can see just inching along. I would have thought that in those situations the helmets come off (mine would) and the authorities wouldn't mind?  

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 08:38:31 AM »

Only wear it when the law requires it,  nothing better than a helmet in 80+ heat HA HA
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 10:59:15 AM »

Helmets are required in Georgia and riding home yesterday I passed a new subdivision that they were building and a dump truck was going the other way on the main street.  

Well, I guess that the truck's tire picked up a rock and threw it up and hit me square in front of my helmet.  I THOUGHT I HAD BEEN SHOT!

Needless to say, I was SOOOOOOOOOO glad I had it on.
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

HD2NV

• 120 H.P. 121 TQ Thats the way it is now
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 09:23:47 PM »

Have to be worn in Canada,once we hit U.S. border off they come just my .02 worth
A good friend will bail you out of jail.
Your best friend will be sitting beside you saying that was f$%*ing awesome lets do it again

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 09:31:43 PM »

I always wear my helmet.  When I ride to work is the only time I don't.  I only ride to work about ten times a year.  I don't ride it to work very often because when I hop on the beast the last thing on my mind is work.  I just want to keep on cruising. [smiley=helmet.gif]
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 09:35:34 PM »

Just about always wear one. Dad was a state cop and kind of preached it into me. Sometimes if I take a quick trip across our small town, I'll ditch the helmet.

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 10:01:54 PM »

take a look at   Indian larry,,,yea he was performing a stunt and all but  do ya suppose that if he had a helmet on he might have survived his accident?  what are the speeds that a D.O.T helmet protect you up to? i believe it's something like 30 mph..
I wear a helmet because it's protection, part of my gear,, just like a leather jacket I wear to prevent road rash.
~late~ Cann
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.