Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Dual exhaust w/stock mufflers?  (Read 3156 times)

xjackx

Dual exhaust w/stock mufflers?
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:08:41 PM »

Are there any true dual type exhaust pipes that will work with the stock mufflers on a 08 SEUC? I have read that using true dual type pipes will make any mufflers louder and I'm thinking this may loud enough for me. Would I need or want a SERT

DAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
Re: Dual exhaust w/stock mufflers?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »

xjackx,
Looks like I have the same scoot as yours.  I installed Vance & Hines true duals with the stock mufflers, V&H Fuel Pak, and Big Sucker A/C and love it.  The sound is a little louder but a better sound like a Harley should.  By adding the Fuel Pak the heat has come down quite a bit and is much more tolerable.  I have put about 2000 miles on the bike since adding the three items and I'm very happy so far!
Dennis
FLHTCUSE3 - 2008 105th anniversary
V&H Dresser Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
Super SERT
Big Sucker A/C
American Legend Sport Trailer
Member #4518

xjackx

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:19:09 AM »

Dennis,  thanks for the info! I'm actually planning ahead, the ship date is next week.  Thanks again, Jack

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 12:35:21 AM »

I hope you guys don't think you've still got a valid warranty.

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 07:05:22 AM »

I hope you guys don't think you've still got a valid warranty.

B B

Huh?  Why would you think that B B??  Everyone I know around here, and not just SE riders, changes pipes, A/C and fuel management.  None of these changes have ever effected their warrranty at multiple area dealerships from Rockford to Madison to Milwaukee to Chicago.  You know how the "act" works....if they can't prove linkage between a specific change and a failure - they are required by law to honor the warranty.  There is nothing about the law that requires you maintain bone stock condition.  I have lots of friends who ride and none have ever encountered a problem due to these common alterations... :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »

Huh?  Why would you think that B B??  Everyone I know around here, and not just SE riders, changes pipes, A/C and fuel management.  None of these changes have ever effected their warrranty at multiple area dealerships from Rockford to Madison to Milwaukee to Chicago.  You know how the "act" works....if they can't prove linkage between a specific change and a failure - they are required by law to honor the warranty.  There is nothing about the law that requires you maintain bone stock condition.  I have lots of friends who ride and none have ever encountered a problem due to these common alterations... :nixweiss:

You're talkin about the good ole days - - - - - like last year.  :D 

What I've seen around San Diego is all of the dealerships cracking down on any mechanical mods for warranty coverage. My impression is the MoCo is getting tough, but I've been known to be wrong before. The reason I say this is that when San Diego H-D reinvented itself as a third world business, all of the guys I'd known for years scattered to the other dealers. Talking to them about the policies of their new employers is what has given me this impression. Also, since the MoCo doesn't make true dual head pipes, soooooo this becomes the installation of aftermarket parts which any dealer of a mind can use to void a warranty. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is - - - at least in this area. And others that I know of as well, but you know there's exceptions to every rule. I don't claim to know everything, and things vary from place to place, but my recommendation to new riders is to leave your bike stock, or get the dealer to install parts they state in writing will not void your warranty. If they won't do that, that says it all.

B B

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »

What I've seen around San Diego is all of the dealerships cracking down on any mechanical mods for warranty coverage. My impression is the MoCo is getting tough, but I've been known to be wrong before. The reason I say this is that when San Diego H-D reinvented itself as a third world business, all of the guys I'd known for years scattered to the other dealers. Talking to them about the policies of their new employers is what has given me this impression. Also, since the MoCo doesn't make true dual head pipes, soooooo this becomes the installation of aftermarket parts which any dealer of a mind can use to void a warranty. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is - - - at least in this area. And others that I know of as well, but you know there's exceptions to every rule. I don't claim to know everything, and things vary from place to place, but my recommendation to new riders is to leave your bike stock, or get the dealer to install parts they state in writing will not void your warranty. If they won't do that, that says it all.

B B

B B
That would absolutely be the END- if the dealder sells it and installs it I damn straight expect the MOCO to support their representative franchisee as if the transaction was done in downtown Milwaukee-IMHO
Do you seriously know someone that got this circle jerk handed to them?

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 11:54:20 AM »

B B

There's no way I would let an uncooperative dealers interpretation of how warranty's work effect what I do to my ride.  The application of a warranty is regulated by laws; this "new breed" of dealers might think they can intimidate folks by reinventing how warranty is applied, but they don't possess this power.  I am going to do whatever I want to do to my ride and if I have a failure unrelated to a change I might make, and I choose to use my warranty to get it repaired, I'll fully expect my warranty to cover it - if not - game on...  I am way to independent to let this "new breed" effect my decisions about my ride.  I don't do business with these guys anyway...  They are easy enough to sniff out.  I suspect you are very much the same, big guy...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

For what it's worth sadunbar, you are preaching to the choir. I don't do stock. I'll leave it at that. I wasn't trying to start an argument.

B B

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »

Are there any true dual type exhaust pipes that will work with the stock mufflers on a 08 SEUC? I have read that using true dual type pipes will make any mufflers louder and I'm thinking this may loud enough for me. Would I need or want a SERT

Mine is an 05 with V&H true dual head pipes and stock mufflers with SERT and air cleaner.  At idle, is barely louder than stock (more in stereo than just 1 muffler).  A little louder on acceleration and no louder once you are at a steady cruising speed. 

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »

I tried the stock mufflers with the V&H Dresser Duals on my '06 SE Ultra.  Still didn't like the sound, it was just too quiet.  I also added a AC and PC.  The problem I ran into when I went to have a dyno tune done was that they were unable to do the tune because they couldn't get the probes past the mufflers due to the cats.  So I would think it would be difficult to properly tune the bike with the stock mufflers.  Just my experience.  I went with the V&H Ovals.  They are loud enough but not as loud as most.  I have a set of the new Monster Ovals on order.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 09:09:17 AM »

X, The OEM mufflers with the cats removed have a much deeper tone, They sound great with Tru Duals or with the standard headpipes and with the improved flow and large Diameter Dyno nicely as well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 09:29:14 AM by dartman »

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »

X, The OEM mufflers with the cats removed have a much deeper tone, They sound great with Tru Duals or with the standard headpipes and with the improved flow and large Diameter Dyno nicely as well.

Hello Dartman,

How remove the cats on CVO mufflers ?

Thanks

********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »

B B
That would absolutely be the END- if the dealder sells it and installs it I damn straight expect the MOCO to support their representative franchisee as if the transaction was done in downtown Milwaukee-IMHO
Do you seriously know someone that got this circle jerk handed to them?

Much if not all of what B B is talking about has been a response to the crackdown on shops modifying emissions related systems.  There have been widely reported cases in CA where shops have been hit with major fines and threatened with the loss of business licenses.  The early knee-jerk response from many dealers was to stop doing any kind of modifications that weren't blessed by CARB and the EPA, and to refuse to even work on modified bikes much less cover them under the terms of the warranty.  I would expect those overreactions to moderate over time, just as they did in the auto business back when emissions regs went into effect.

BTW, as a franchisee the dealer has absolutely no right to abridge, change, modify, or otherwise mess with the factory warranty.  If the dealer installs nonstandard parts that are not approved by the MoCo, and that part either fails or causes another failure, the MoCo has no obligation to honor the warranty just because a franchised dealer sold and installed the part.  As Scott mentioned, if the nonstandard part wasn't the cause of the failure then it's presence becomes moot under Federal law.  However, that doesn't mean you won't still have to fight for your rights.  Nothing I've ever experienced in the world of Harley has come automatically or easily.  Many of the dealerships will still try to jerk you around even though the law is on your side, and the MoCo has been known to try to BS customers as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:14:41 AM »

Much if not all of what B B is talking about has been a response to the crackdown on shops modifying emissions related systems.  There have been widely reported cases in CA where shops have been hit with major fines and threatened with the loss of business licenses

It was either late last year or early this year but the state of CA. sued Dynojet which makes Power Comanders for making it possible to alter the stock ecm fueling. The state won and Dynojet had to pay out so I would guess that's what started the whole thing.

Al Spag

• 2012 Big Blue Pearl FLHX
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »

No answer, so I'll try. How do you remove the cats from the stock mufflers  :nixweiss:

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »

1.6 core drill works very nicely

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

I've tested the '08 CVO US mufflers with end cap with my V&H true duals..
'08 CVO US mufflers are catalyst.
I've tested with and without the catalyst and (IMHO) it's not a good improvement :
Not good sound (similar to our HDI mufflers) and not better performances.
Only the look is better.

I've V&H oval slip ons but they are too louder but nice sound.

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.