Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I do this to my exhaust?  (Read 5735 times)

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Can I do this to my exhaust?
« on: June 29, 2005, 12:40:43 PM »

I love the way my Rinehart pipes sound, but I'd like to hear a little more volume than I do now without being obnoxious. I know they make a couple different sizes of baffles and I'm guessing I already have the performance baffles by looking inside the pipes ... they're pretty big, almost the diameter of the pipe itself.

Here's what I was thinking ... I could either remove the packing around the baffles (if they even have any??) or maybe cut the baffles about an inch or two and put them back in. Will they still fit ok inside the pipes if I cut one end or will they be loose and vibrate inside the pipes? I already talked to my dealer and they advised me against removing them altogether saying the bike probably wouldn't run right if I did. I didn't ask them about my new idea and thought you guys would know, thanks alot in advance.  

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
Re: Can I do this to my exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:56:53 PM »

First of all, If you remove the baffles, You will not be pleased with the performance. Secondly, there is no wrap on the baffles. Thirdly, if you cut them off, they will not be secure in the pipe. I would suggest you get the 2.5 inch baffles for the Rineharts. This should give you more sound.
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 12:58:29 PM »

According to Rinehart, you can cut the baffles in half, and install just the back half.  See this link, and scroll down to the question: "Can I Remove the Baffles?"  There are other tuning tips from Rinehart Racing on this link as well.

http://www.rinehartracing.com/tuningtips.htm
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 12:59:39 PM »

Oh, and I forgot to add...they don't have packing around the baffles...at least mine don't.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 01:11:04 PM »

First of all, If you remove the baffles, You will not be pleased with the performance. Secondly, there is no wrap on the baffles. Thirdly, if you cut them off, they will not be secure in the pipe. I would suggest you get the 2.5 inch baffles for the Rineharts. This should give you more sound.

Thanks, I knew I wouldn't be able to get away with a freebee like removing the packing. I already had the download done when they put the pipes and air cleaner on. Would I have to take it back again if I change the baffles? Like I already said, but I could be wrong ... I think I aready have the performance baffles. I guess I'll have to take one out and measure to be sure. Do they go by O.D or I.D? I'd hate to pay for something I might already have.

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 01:20:05 PM »

According to Rinehart, you can cut the baffles in half, and install just the back half.  See this link, and scroll down to the question: "Can I Remove the Baffles?"  There are other tuning tips from Rinehart Racing on this link as well.

http://www.rinehartracing.com/tuningtips.htm

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear plus the price is right for that mod. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 06:27:18 PM »

Hey CandyMan! Don't cut them thar' baffles. If you look at the Rinehart link, it references Dyna,V-Rod and Sporty pipes. These pipes use a baffle that is secured at the back end by screws. The true duals do not. They are supported at the front by friction fit and at the rear by the end caps holding them in. JMHO.
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.