Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Where to buy Bitubo's or Progressive 440's  (Read 25106 times)

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
Re: Where to buy Bitubo's or Progressive 440's
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 09:04:29 AM »

Install is very straightforward.  Two bolts and bushings for each shock, and you'll want to have a means to support your frame and rear wheel when you remove each shock.  Setup, though, has a bit of a learning curve, and varies by load and style of riding.  I have mine dialed in right where I want them whether I'm two-up and loaded or just going back and forth to work solo.  A bit firm back and forth to work and when riding solo, but still.................the ride cannot be any better.

Only PITA downside to Bitubos is the 36mm axle nut becomes a challenge to get on and off and/or tighten/loosen during rear wheel removal/installation/secondary drive adjustment.  Reason is the Bitubo eyelet is much more stout than stock shocks, and will not allow most torque adapters to fit the axle nut.  Unless you have a special tool made, proper torque on that nut cannot occur without removing the right muffler and using a 36mm socket.  None of the marketable wrenches will fit................save for the one made by George's Garage, and I'm not so sure it will work either.

(Not y'all) (well maybe ;D ) but opinions are like...  :-[
Everyone of the dealers/shops has a different take, and they are all right!
I visited three shops yesterday and got the Arnott, Legend, and progressive stories, no one knew anything about the Bitubo's, kind of frustrating 'cause you know I won't be doing the wrenching, and I don't want to pay for extra hours teaching someone about a new product.

Anyway, what is the deal with this 36mm socket? Is it just for install, or do you have a major CF just adjusting them? I can see from the discussions that I would need to be able to switch between two positions from time to time, and all of those times I would be on the road, so will I be towing a shop behind me, or do I need just one wrench, or what? Like I said earlier, the Traxion site don't say diddley, so what is the real deal?

I keep the TP on, so I would need to switch between fully loaded on a trip (higher setting), to all bags off at the hotel, so I can tour the sights (lower setting). Is this a PITA, or is this easy enough to do on the road?  :pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

REGGAB

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 09:43:38 AM »

(Not y'all) (well maybe ;D ) but opinions are like...  :-[
Everyone of the dealers/shops has a different take, and they are all right!
I visited three shops yesterday and got the Arnott, Legend, and progressive stories, no one knew anything about the Bitubo's, kind of frustrating 'cause you know I won't be doing the wrenching, and I don't want to pay for extra hours teaching someone about a new product.

Anyway, what is the deal with this 36mm socket? Is it just for install, or do you have a major CF just adjusting them? I can see from the discussions that I would need to be able to switch between two positions from time to time, and all of those times I would be on the road, so will I be towing a shop behind me, or do I need just one wrench, or what? Like I said earlier, the Traxion site don't say diddley, so what is the real deal?

I keep the TP on, so I would need to switch between fully loaded on a trip (higher setting), to all bags off at the hotel, so I can tour the sights (lower setting). Is this a PITA, or is this easy enough to do on the road?  :pumpkin:

That is the socket needed to tighten and apply torque to the rear axle nut once you have the proper tension on your secondary drive belt.  My point in bringing it up is that it becomes a PITA with Bitubos installed since conventional tools..........and conventional special tools will no longer work because the bottom eye of the Bitbuto shock is so much bigger than that of a stock shock.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »

That is the socket needed to tighten and apply torque to the rear axle nut once you have the proper tension on your secondary drive belt.  My point in bringing it up is that it becomes a PITA with Bitubos installed since conventional tools..........and conventional special tools will no longer work because the bottom eye of the Bitbuto shock is so much bigger than that of a stock shock.

Never had a promblem getting the axle nut off with the bitubos on! :nixweiss:

You need no special tools at all to adjust the shocks Jamey. For preload, you need a small spanner wrench that they supply with the shocks. That's it. The other 2 adjustments are dials built into the shock. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

REGGAB

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »

Never had a promblem getting the axle nut off with the bitubos on! :nixweiss:

Nor have I, but I haven't been able to use any 36mm torque adapter, which allows the use of a torque wrench, offset 90 degrees, to apply proper torque to the rear axle nut without removing the muffler.   Always had to remove the muffler and apply torque using a 36mm socket and 1/2" drive torque wrench.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

You need no special tools at all to adjust the shocks Jamey. For preload, you need a small spanner wrench that they supply with the shocks. That's it. The other 2 adjustments are dials built into the shock. ;)

Hoist! 8)

And with a little Molybdenum powder on the threads, the preload can be adjusted by hand, making the spanner unnecessary.  Credit goes to "Chief" for that useful tidbit.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:41:50 AM by HML »

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 07:21:41 AM »

And with a little Molybdenum powder on the threads, the preload can be adjusted by hand, making the spanner unnecessary.  Credit goes to "Chief" for that useful tidbit.   :2vrolijk_21:

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'll have to try that. WTF is Molybdenum anyhow?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »

WTF is Molybdenum anyhow?

A hard, silvery-white metallic element used to toughen alloy steels and soften tungsten alloy. An essential trace element in plant nutrition, it is used in fertilizers, dyes, enamels, and reagents. Atomic number 42; atomic weight 95.94; melting point 2,617°C; boiling point 4,612°C; specific gravity 10.22 (at 20°C); valence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

[New Latin, from earlier molybdena, lead ore, from Latin molybdaena, galena, from Greek molubdaina, from molubdos, lead.]

I didn't look all this up.  Howie told me.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 02:07:28 PM »

A hard, silvery-white metallic element used to toughen alloy steels and soften tungsten alloy. An essential trace element in plant nutrition, it is used in fertilizers, dyes, enamels, and reagents. Atomic number 42; atomic weight 95.94; melting point 2,617°C; boiling point 4,612°C; specific gravity 10.22 (at 20°C); valence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

[New Latin, from earlier molybdena, lead ore, from Latin molybdaena, galena, from Greek molubdaina, from molubdos, lead.]

I didn't look all this up.  Howie told me.

OH...ughhhhhh.. Yea. I should be able to buy that by the pint at CarQuest.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »

OK, finally bit the bullet and ordered the Progressive Suspension Shocks, 440 IAS Series Heavy-Duty Chrome 12.5 inch from Axiom Cycles, total (no shipping charge) was $515.95!  :pumpkin:

Axiom Item ID: 13-068-0321
Mfg Name: Progressive Suspension
Mfg Item ID: 440-4019C
Drag Specialties Part#: 1310-0307

◊ Fitment: 1980-08 FLT FLHT FLHR
◊ Model: 440 IAS Series
◊ Color/Finish: Chrome
◊ Size: 12.5"
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »

Jamie-
You will be happy with the 440's.  May not be as good as Bitubo's, but are much better than stock air shocks.   I have had the 12.5" stds for several years.

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »

Yeah, the only way I could see doing the Bits was a trip to Joja, and I think that is a long drive for customer support. No one around here has ever heard of them and I just wasn't willing to front my wrench's kids college fund as the guinea pig for bitubo...  :pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 03:10:11 PM »

Yeah, the only way I could see doing the Bits was a trip to Joja, and I think that is a long drive for customer support. No one around here has ever heard of them and I just wasn't willing to front my wrench's kids college fund as the guinea pig for bitubo...  :pumpkin:

Huh?! :nixweiss:  They attach to the bike the same way the Progressive's you've got coming do, Jamey. :confused5:

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »

And there you have it... need a souffle, I can do that, eyes closed... wanna talk shocks, I got nuttin!
When you ask your wrench if he knows about brand X that you are bringing and he gives you that blank stare... that makes me wonder if I'm going to be his bail-out... No tech info on the traxxion site left me out there on my own, and the wrench could sense that!  :pumpkin:  :oops:

Really I was just trying to pass on the price of the 440s and where I found them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:32:36 PM by Mr. We »
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 04:03:01 PM »

Sorry, Jamey, I understand where you're coming from now.  Didn't mean to sound like I was tryin' to be a smarta$$ about your shock knowledge.  It's just that having had both Progressives and now Bitubos on my own SEEG, there's no way I'd buy another pair of Progressives.  You'll have to do some adjusting of the collar on the Progressives to get the most out of them, too, so they're not totally plug-and-play, either.  But, yes, they are MUCH cheaper!

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2009, 07:22:13 AM »

OK, finally bit the bullet and ordered the Progressive Suspension Shocks, 440 IAS Series Heavy-Duty Chrome 12.5 inch from Axiom Cycles, total (no shipping charge) was $515.95!  :pumpkin:

Axiom Item ID: 13-068-0321
Mfg Name: Progressive Suspension
Mfg Item ID: 440-4019C
Drag Specialties Part#: 1310-0307

◊ Fitment: 1980-08 FLT FLHT FLHR
◊ Model: 440 IAS Series
◊ Color/Finish: Chrome
◊ Size: 12.5"

I just ordered the 440 Progressive's as follows. I want to lower the '09 SEUC and therefore have selected the 11.5 HD version. There are quite new 440's out for the '06 through '09 models.

PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION 440 Series I.A.S. Shocks - FLH/FLT (All) [06-09]
[440 Series Shock Options:11.5" Heavy Duty (Black) - P/N 440-4060B] 

Ordered from One Stop Moto. Talked to a very nice guy named Dan. He said One Stop is Progressive's largest dealer. In any case they have a great web site with lots of useful information and good prices: $ 482.95 + shipping.

http://www.onestopmoto.com/

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »

Black?

OCD is bugging!  :pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.