Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '09 FLTRSE3 Dip Stick  (Read 1688 times)

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
'09 FLTRSE3 Dip Stick
« on: April 05, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »

I've had the SERG for two weeks now.  I check the oil often prior to start and after a ride.  Old manual dip stick when cold always read at the full hot level on the jiffy stand or level.  Replaced the manual dip stick with the LED dip stick version, results were essentially the same.  When cold the, LED level indicator identifies that it is over full.  It had the 1K oil change yesterday.  The tech put in the required oil and then I checked it again.  Same thing, LED reading over full, just as the manual dipstick had indicated.  Air temparature hasn't been above 55 °F.  Since installation of the LED stick, the highest LED oil temperature I've observed is 179°F. 

Has anyone else seen this?  Might this high oil level be due to the oil temperature's never been high enough to open up the oil cooler and flood it?

It's at the moco identified quanity.  But, I really don't like having an overfull crack case.

Thank you.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: '09 FLTRSE3 Dip Stick
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »

Pull the Air Cleaner and see if there is oil in that housing or in the opening to the Throttle Body.

How much oil did they put in it ?

I let my dealer do the first service since it was free. They are generally a pretty good bunch and found some items I would not have checked. However; when I got home (3 hour ride), I spent an hour or so with a turkey baster getting about 3/4 of a quart of oil out. Don't hook a short piece of tubing on that baster, if it comes off and falls down into the crank case it is hell to get out. I ..... no ..... a buddy of mine did that once.

I have the LED stick, it shows low when cold, but comes up to 3/4 level after it warms up. If I run it much higher than that, it will puke.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:06:17 PM by Iglide »
The impossible just takes a little longer

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »

NO! you don't want it overfilled. If it were me, I'd drain some off. I keep a 3ft section of clear tubing handy. Just, excuse the phrase, suck some out. dump it into an empty oil bottle and continue till you get 16oz in it. Tighten everything up and fire it up to temp. Depending on mods, you should be over 230 when runnin it hard. After I opened my in/out air, my temp stays around 224. today it hit 230 after running 100 mph for 10 miles, peaked to 120+ couple times.
Be careful in trusting these digital dipsticks, I used an laser heat gun and shoot the oil to verify if dipstk is spot on. Have returned several of these to get a good'n.
The oil capacity from MOCO is from a dry motor, when you drain the oil, there is some residual that stays, FEAR NOT, its cool. I put 1/2 qt less when adding, also OK. then run it up to temp and check, you can always add a little.
My last suggestion, STOP letting HD monkeys change your oil, DO IT YOURSELF. only way to insure it's correct.
Buy GOOD synthetic oil. I recommend Amsoil 20/50 in motor and primary. And RED LINE in tranny.
This is very easy once you do it. Buy a service manual, keep it in Bathroom. In two weeks you'll know more than the monkeys, and staying on this forum will help also. But................be prepared, you have been warned
Hope this helps :2vrolijk_21:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »

Hey that's the same place I keep my service manual  ::) .

GREAT advice !!
The impossible just takes a little longer

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »

I'll change out the owners manual in the bathroom soon. 

While ya'll were reading and writing I went and stuck the original manual read dip stick back in.  It reads the same as it did from the factory with the factory fill.  It's cold and the dip stick indicates full hot on jiffy stand.  BTW, The present cold oil temp was 52°F.

Per HD, cold reads are never accurate.  But in my view, they're a great reference.

Can't really say how much they threw in the case.  The invoice say's six quarts; which would be close to the advertised 4 in the Case with filter change, 1 in the tranny, and (close to) 1.4 in the chain case.

Air filter and TB are clean.

I'm still wondering if the oil cooler has ever been flooded.

Thank you for your ideas.

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 06:07:31 PM »

I use the checkerboard side of dipstick to read level. Mark should be halfway up the checkerboard side when full, bike on the jiffy stand. Motor cold.
I always check with motor cold, prior to starting. Once engine warms to normal operating temp, oil will expand and mark should read at the FULL mark
at the end of the checkerboard section.. I check mine once every 2 weeks, and add if necessary, Amsoil 20-50 Synthetic only. I also use Amsoil 75-90
Severe Gear in the tranny, and have no more whine in 5th!!   Love that Amsoil :2vrolijk_21:

On the road traveling, I check every 1000 miles, again at cold engine. If I were to have motor trouble on the road, I would check it hot then, to rule out
a lubrication problem, but that's it. This has worked for me. With the 110, like the old shovels of yesteryear, I carry a quart or 2 of the Amsoil on the road
with me if traveling across the U.S. The 110 does use alittle oil and not everybody carries the Amsoil, and I don't like mixing my oils. Better safe than sorry..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:51:11 PM by JohnT. »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 06:11:02 PM »

Buy a service manual, keep it in Bathroom.  :2vrolijk_21:

Best advice I've heard in a long time!
Good one Larry!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 06:28:26 AM »

Every now and then I stumble upon brilliance, and then someone turns off the light.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.