Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Catalytic Conveter Removal-Warranty  (Read 19787 times)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Catalytic Conveter Removal-Warranty
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »

8) :huepfenjump3: :drink:

Actually, all 2-1-2 exhaust systems on the 2010's have cat's  Touring, Fat Bob's etc.

:coolblue:

to bad its such a hassle to get the cat out

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »

:( :( :(

And the number of 09 non cat's is going away fast.

Going to have to go with V&H when they get them out.

Glad I have a 09 with out the cat.

Rode today.  Runs great.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 01:27:29 AM »

Once started to remove the headpipe , it is just a easy job , you need a welding friend for ten minutes and another hour ( if you are not experienced ) to get the headpipe back on the bike .
 I first too hesitated , but it was really easy at the end , don`t worry , just try it .  :2vrolijk_21:
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 08:21:53 AM »

what part of the country you in
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »

And the number of 09 non cat's is going away fast.

Going to have to go with V&H when they get them out.

Glad I have a 09 with out the cat.

Rode today.  Runs great.

does the moco sell the header pipe without the cat that fit the 10's????????

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 09:28:30 AM »

does the moco sell the header pipe without the cat that fit the 10's????????

Part numbers show 3 versions..............all with cats.
HOGMIKE

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »

Part numbers show 3 versions..............all with cats.

kinda figured that.    maybe someone will come up with a nice replacement

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Vance and Hines, Rinehart and the rest will come up with a replacement.  Couple that with Mastertune TTS, Fuel Pak's and Power Commanders, we will be able to retro the bikes to our liking.

All at significant expense.

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »

As far as warranty, when I tried to get HD to take my lemon back, the rep they flew out to inspect the bike claimed I had done major engine mofications: true dual exhaust and high flow air filter (which was actually stock). And the rep missed the leak!  I have the letter and can show anyone.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »

thats the way it is

if the dealer will warranty a modification its all good as long as that dealer is doing the work

but if hd gets involved - change exh, air cleaner, cams etc with non street legal parts and the entire engine warranty is void

and regardless of what folks say about magnussun moss - changing pipes changes mixture and that changes temps and violates epa - so they do have the legal right to void the entire engine warranty if the pipes are changed.

to

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 03:46:14 PM »

True.

Former 1999 Road King

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »

If they can prove that the changes had a direct affect on the problem
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »

>:( >:(

Would be hard to prove that an engine that's running cooler with more power and no new cams or internal components would cause a true engine failure.

A lot depends on the dealer.

Former 1999 Road King

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2009, 08:56:43 AM »

that misses the point entirely.

if the dealer will fix it fine - that does NOT mean that hd will reimburse them at all.

hd does not have to PROVE anything - if its got a non numbered exhaust or a non numbered air cleaner its tampered, end of story.

the epa tampering law says that if its tampered with the warranty is void - the warranty printed with the bike says if its tampered with the warranty is void. hd wont warranty the engine if its tampered with.

tamper is a LEGAL term, has nothing to do with how it runs or not, what it means is that the engine no longer complies with the epa certification.

many folks try and confuse epa tampering with magnusson moss - why i havent a clue - magnussun moss will mean that the warranty on the radio is ok even if the engine warranty is void. it means that you can install a air filter made by any mfg as long as it has the little carb symbol on it or the epa compliance number. same with muffler if it has a carb number or a epa number its ok. if you however put a air cleaner and exh on the engine that do not have a carb number or a epa number then by law the warranty on that engine is void. its draconian and simple. it does not matter who makes the parts - if they have a number that lists that application to that engine its ok. v&h for example can mfg mufflers for a cvo ultra, get it approved, get a carb number on it and sell it to you, that numbered muffler would not void the warranty.

many dealers do extend personal dealer warranty coverage to bikes that they have put non compliant parts on. but you are relying on the DEALER to stay in biz and honor that dealer warranty - hd will not honor a dealer warranty, nor do they have to, in fact if hd did warrant a dealer non epa engine hd would get slapped with a big fine at some point, probably years later when it becomes worth the time to look through the books, add up the illegal claims and issue a fine with enough zeros on it to pay for the investigators time.

this HAS happened at a number of locations in the last 5 years. many companies have paid 6 and 7 zero fines in the last few years. that is why the new pc doesnt change the mixture in the rpm ranges that represent legal speeds but only change the mixture when "racing" and also why that company amongst others doesnt advertise like they used to - no cash on hand any more, it all went to epa to cover the fines.

to

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »

:soapbox: :soapbox:

I agree that HD could do that.  However, HD replaced my 07 SEUC 110 three time, all under warranty and for sure they could have denied all three times.  The last one was on a global recall for the 110 engine.  The engine they replaced (although all of the parts were purchased and installed by the dealer) clearly did not meet the "official" warranty standard.  D&D pipes, Thundermax Fuel management etc.

I have yet to see one denied engine claim at my dealership via HD for pipes or AC or even fuel management.  However, I'm sure it has happened.

Best top leave them alone and not risk it.

Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.