Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: engine issues w/ removing Rinehart baffles???  (Read 24818 times)

Wyatt

engine issues w/ removing Rinehart baffles???
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »

I've asked several different Harley shops about removing the baffles from my Rineharts. All the shops gave me different answers, ranging from no mechanical issues, to blowing up my engine. My current setup is PCV, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and Rineharts. I understand that if I take the baffles out, I have to adjust the fuel/ air mixture with proper tuning. But understanding that, could I really cause much harm to the engine by removing the baffles??? Thanks for all the advice!

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
Re: engine issues w/ removing Rinehart baffles???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »

Yes,burn the exhaust valves

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:16:53 PM »

Just a little curious.... Why do you want to remove the baffles?? I have Rinehart's and I think if I removed the baffles no one would ride behind me... heck... some complain now.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:49:03 PM »

Just a little curious.... Why do you want to remove the baffles?? I have Rinehart's and I think if I removed the baffles no one would ride behind me... heck... some complain now.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Whatttt. I can't hear you..  8) I  tested my 103 SERK without the baffles and it just sounded like a loud crappy running motor. Put the high performance baffle in and  heard a slight difference  between them and the stock baffles.  My view is that you have to have the balls in the motor to be loud or else your just polluting  the wind with loud noise. Keep the baffles in. At least the low rumble sounds like your motor has a pair. 8)

Wyatt

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »

I don't know what setup you guys have, but my Rineharts are surprisingly quiet. Removed the baffles and the bike sounded 10x better, but I can't switch baffles since I have slip-ons (according to eastern performance). I can switch the headers, but doubt that would actually make much difference in the sound. Next step, I'm switching to V/H big shot duals. The Rineharts are a severe dissapointment!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »

I don't know what setup you guys have, but my Rineharts are surprisingly quiet. Removed the baffles and the bike sounded 10x better, but I can't switch baffles since I have slip-ons (according to eastern performance). I can switch the headers, but doubt that would actually make much difference in the sound. Next step, I'm switching to V/H big shot duals. The Rineharts are a severe dissapointment!
The difference might be I don't have the slipons I have the Rinehart true duals. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

bbowler

• CVO1: 2010 SE street glide concord blue
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:46:24 PM »

I had the rineharts in my sg that had a 103 and they were quiet with the stock head pipes, but as soon as i put a non cat pipe on there.....bang.  The sound was sweet, it was quite a bit louder but not obnoxious, it does make a difference to do that.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:55:38 PM »

do what you want, its your bux - just remember this.....

straight pipes have two big issues
1 - if its just right the exh valves will get burned - this is not covered under anybodys warranty - valve job at best, new heads at worst. been there done that.
2 - open pipes may possibly give you really big hp numbers at 6200 rpm.. but at 2000 rpm you will lose something like 20 hp and 30 or 40 ft lb of torque.

a very large muffler like a stock can with a fulsac core is just about ideal - everything else is either: looks!, or look at me!, or ba** busting!. real big power at speeds under 5000 rpm in high gear is actually pretty quiet. 7000 rpm on the drag strip is not quiet.

its been a time honored deal that guys like really loud barking pipes - but if you go too far you go very far backward in actual power. its real real easy to get it to sound way cool with all the usefulness of a drooping d*&^ - when i was about 20 i figured out that the girls liked the noise for about 5 mins - then it had to be actually scary fast - and then the unit had better work. ahhh 79 sporster with the giant ugly exh and the speeding ticket on 35 north of des moines for 110+ two up. stone stock, big volume.  [the girl wore heavy black leather with nothing else  :huepfenjump3: i dont care how ugly the exh was, or what the ticket cost, that was worth it!]

obviously the other issue is volume - the exhaust pipe needs to be at LEAST 10 times the volume of the cylinder / cylinders it empties to work properly. the original reason that the ultra 110's have the 4" mufflers is to get that nessesary volume. other rule of thumb is that the outlet of the muffler should be near the same size as the exh port in the head - if its larger you risk reversion up to the valve and very costly things happening.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »

I've asked several different Harley shops about removing the baffles from my Rineharts. All the shops gave me different answers, ranging from no mechanical issues, to blowing up my engine. My current setup is PCV, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and Rineharts. I understand that if I take the baffles out, I have to adjust the fuel/ air mixture with proper tuning. But understanding that, could I really cause much harm to the engine by removing the baffles??? Thanks for all the advice!

I have Reinharts on my 2010 CVO Street Glide now. I also had them on a 2006 Street Glide with their True Dual set up. Both are performing very well.

The slip on mufflers are the same as the ones you get with a complete True Dual set up.  My understanding is that the 2010 Reinhart header will be out late this month along with the 2010 Bub brand.

If I were you I would wait for the 2010 headers put them n and then go for a ride with the PCV5 and let it do its job. Total Cost: Reinhart Headers $300, Gaskets $10, You labor Free, Beer $20.

I think you will notice some more noise with the "cats" gone. If not there are baffles available for your Reinharts that will be somewhat louder.

I agree with the other postings. you won't get any performance and torque with the baffles out. You need back pressure. So please concentrate on refining the combination you already have lots of $$$$ investing in and you will be pleased.

Wyatt

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 01:53:36 PM »

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like the best plan, economically/ mechanically is to wait and get the 10 headers from Rinehart. Hope that does the trick. Ride Safe!!!

Page created in 0.892 seconds with 21 queries.