Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Help on new pipes?  (Read 20450 times)

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Help on new pipes?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »

newdep - can you post some pics of the new pipes?

I too am looking for something a bit louder but I do like the look of the stock pipes. I talked to a service manager at one of my local dealers and he said the Screamin Eagle mufflers are easy to modify. Drill out a few rivets, pull out and unwrap the baffles and reinsert. They will actually do it in the shop (hmmm..). Anyway don't all the 2010's have cats in the pipes that are not easy to remove?

Mike V.

Mike:
I will try and get some up tomorrow, they look very close to OEM in-fact most cant tell the difference. Yes you can mod the SEs but it sounds like a pain. I can tell you the Rush 1.75s wrapped from Fuelmoto sound incredible, you can really hear the cam much better.

Newdep.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 01:42:44 PM »

newdep - can you post some pics of the new pipes?

I too am looking for something a bit louder but I do like the look of the stock pipes. I talked to a service manager at one of my local dealers and he said the Screamin Eagle mufflers are easy to modify. Drill out a few rivets, pull out and unwrap the baffles and reinsert. They will actually do it in the shop (hmmm..). Anyway don't all the 2010's have cats in the pipes that are not easy to remove?

Mike V.

Check with Steve at www.fullsac.com they can remove and replace the baffles for you and also do the cat work if you need it? My understanding is all the 2010 models have the cat's but they will know.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »

This weekend I took the stock mufflers off of Blueyz0416 ConV.

The rivets were easy to drill out. The cat was easy to drill and I pulled most of it out. Also removed 1/2 of the wrap which made the stock tone a little deeper. This will do for now until we get a fuel management system and better mufflers I think. The entire job took me a little over an hour.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »

Mr. Wizard,

By any chance did you take picures of the process? In what part of the exhaust were the cats? I thought opening up the pipes like that would need to have a new fuel curve (sorry for the noob questions - this is my first time through this).

Thanks!
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »

Mr. Wizard,

By any chance did you take picures of the process? In what part of the exhaust were the cats? I thought opening up the pipes like that would need to have a new fuel curve (sorry for the noob questions - this is my first time through this).

Thanks!

No, sorry but I've done this many times.

Take the mufflers and heat shields off. Drill out the three aluminum rivets and push out the baffle with a broom stick. Look down the entrance end of the baffle and you will see a honeycomb shape substance. That is the cat. It's about 4 inches thick but it is easy to drill and take a hand chisel to finish breaking it apart.

Unroll the baffle wrapping material and use half of it (cut it with a razor) then use duct tape to hold it on the metal baffle. Put the baffle back in the can and install three aluminum rivets. Your ready to put it back on the bike.

As far as "fuel curve" goes...  The above adjustment will simply make the exhaust restriction a little less restrictive and give you a slightly deeper tone, not much but just a little. When you are in cruising ranges or closed loop TP and RPM's, the ECM will continue to adjust the 02 settings to the proper AFR's in your map.

Opening up the mufflers with something over 1.5", or 1.75" baffle as some believe, will force you to make AFR adjustments as this will lean the motor too much and will also cause loss of bottom end torque.

Sorry I don't have pictures.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 09:21:05 PM »

Thanks so much for the info. If the cats are in the mufflers then the head pipes are open and unrestricted, correct? If that's the case would it be possible to purchase compatible SE mufflers (such as those for an '09) without the cats and leave the originals intact?

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »

Thanks so much for the info. If the cats are in the mufflers then the head pipes are open and unrestricted, correct? If that's the case would it be possible to purchase compatible SE mufflers (such as those for an '09) without the cats and leave the originals intact?

Mike

Correct

Just be sure of the fit before you buy.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »

The Catalytic Converter is in the Head pipes  <snip>

Wheels...  you may want to check that...

It is my understanding that the ConV (softail) only has cats in the front of the mufflers. Our ConV has straight pipes from the heads to the mufflers. Only the 2010 touring bikes have the cat in the head pipe, yes?

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 12:24:14 PM »

Wheels...  you may want to check that...

It is my understanding that the ConV (softail) only has cats in the front of the mufflers. Our ConV has straight pipes from the heads to the mufflers. Only the 2010 touring bikes have the cat in the head pipe, yes?

+1 It is only in the mufflers on the ConV, in the head pipes on the Touring  models. ;)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 07:07:21 PM »

That is great as it gives me more options. I like the look of the stock pipes so I am considering modding the stock SE mufflers or possibly aftermarket slipons. What is the consensus on the stock headpipes? Given that I like the look of them are there any major advantages to changing them out over just changing the mufflers?

Thanks,

Mike

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »

That is great as it gives me more options. I like the look of the stock pipes so I am considering modding the stock SE mufflers or possibly aftermarket slipons. What is the consensus on the stock headpipes? Given that I like the look of them are there any major advantages to changing them out over just changing the mufflers?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike:

Im working on getting you a couple photos right now of the Rush slip ons.

Dave

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »

Here are the Rush slip ons hope it is what you needed.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 08:16:32 PM »

Yes indeed they look great!  Thanks for posting the pics. How do you like them?

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 11:03:14 AM »

Talked to Mike at Annapolis Harley this week. He mentioned several slip-on's, but he leans towards V&H. They are almost identical to the original pipes. The V&H, and I suspect Rush, and not street legal, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from upgrading. HD also makes a slip-on the is street legal, but Mike said he does not think there would be much improvement in the sound.

Also, with the Rush and V&H, not additional tuning is necessary.

Ride Safe...............

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 02:15:43 PM »

Talked to Mike at Annapolis Harley this week. He mentioned several slip-on's, but he leans towards V&H. They are almost identical to the original pipes. The V&H, and I suspect Rush, and not street legal, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from upgrading. HD also makes a slip-on the is street legal, but Mike said he does not think there would be much improvement in the sound.

Also, with the Rush and V&H, not additional tuning is necessary.

Ride Safe...............

Wow.... I was told by tewo Dealers that I needed to add a tuner for the Rush slip ons sometimes Dealers just scare me!

I added a PCV from Fuelmoto hopefully it is what I needed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.