Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another one down!! Why????  (Read 2674 times)

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
Another one down!! Why????
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:35:31 AM »

A car pulled out in front of this guy and he couldn't stop!!

The motorcycle rider died and the car driver was not injured!!

:zwtf:  :wall:    :sauer005: :sauer005:

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2010/08/21/88527115/index.xml
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:37:47 AM by SirMichael113 »

casper

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Another one down!! Why????
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »

He wasn't riding he was flying low. 280 foot of skidmarks WTF bad results but his own fault don't blme the car driver on this one

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »

He wasn't riding he was flying low. 280 foot of skidmarks WTF bad results but his own fault don't blme the car driver on this one

Not 280 but 380.  The article doesn't pass the sniff test.  Someone laid rubber farther than end of end zone to end of end zone on a football field, kept it up all that time, was still going too fast to stop, laid it down and still collided with enough force for a fatal accident. 

We don't know what happened.  But we know something besides just that happened.  Gotta love local beat reporters that have to write about everything; whether they know anything about it or not.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:46:12 PM »

I agree, 380 feet of skid marks and then dump it, something doesn't smell right on this one.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »

Makes sense to me, inexperianced rider going 70+ mph, panics and hits rear brake only...................
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »

Something about this is wrong......

after leaving 380 feet of skid marks (even if it was only rear tire) 70 mph starting speed could not compute......

now tell me he was going 120 MPH and only used rear brake that may make some sense except for the rear brake only part and assuming he wanted to live.....
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:43:47 PM »

Wisconsin has 65mph limits, so if the guy was doing 65+ on the road, the car should of still seen him coming maybe!! :nixweiss:

I don't know the details either, maybe a slight bend in the road or something! :nixweiss: That is a long skid mark, could of been that someone did pull out in front and the rider had lack of experience on how to slow down and avoid the collision, who knows!!

My only thought, is why do we have to lose so many riders every year??? Alot of these could possibly be avoided, there are just to many drivers and riders with lack of experience, lack of attention, and lack of awareness of their surroundings!!

People need to take their driving and riding more seriously!! You can still have fun and enjoy the road, just be more aware of your surroundings!

SirMichael
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:47:43 PM by SirMichael113 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:10 PM »

Skiding 380 feet then dumping a bike and sliding another 20 feet would have been harder to do with ABS brakes. According to a motorcycle stopping distance calculator, a bike traveling at 95 mph needs 380 feet to stop without skiding. Traveling at 98 mph would require 400 feet to stop without skiding. Stopping from 65 mph requires about 176 feet to stop without skiding.

A skid distance calculator calculates a rider would need to be traveling at 91 mph in order to skid 400 feet.  

Very sad accident.

But the article here didn't say he traveled that far.  It said he left skid marks that far; then laid it down.  I don't think you could lay rubber far.  Period.  Nonetheless do it without going over in the process, popping a tire, doing an end-o or otherwise screwing up in a way that ended the skid.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 11:25:40 PM »

Please don't get me wrong, I'm in no way passing judgement or condemning. I'm sure every rider (including myself) has from time to time put him or herself into bad situations through excessive speed. As the saying goes, for the grace of God there go I. He likely skidded then would stop braking for short periods of time in order to try and regain control. He probably did this over and over again for 380 feet until he finally laid it down and made impact. With ABS you brake in a straight line no matter how hard you brake. Although ABS still wont save someone from imminent impact.

May God comfort this man's family.   

He may have gotten on and off the brake as you suggest.  But I'd think it unlikely.  Panic stop and human nature.  When that happens you just hang on tight.  I don't care how much I've practiced panic stops if something pulls out in front of me and there's not room to stop I doubt I'd have the calm within me to feather the brakes for control.  I know I could lay it down.  But until I did I'd be squeezing.

You're right man.  We don't know what happened other than that the poor guy didn't make.  And that's enough to know to know it's terrible.  The rest is merely speculation based on what seem incomplete facts and poor reporting that we're left to work from as we try to understand; and probably never will.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »

But the article here didn't say he traveled that far.  It said he left skid marks that far; then laid it down.  I don't think you could lay rubber far.  Period.  Nonetheless do it without going over in the process, popping a tire, doing an end-o or otherwise screwing up in a way that ended the skid.

When have you ever read a local newspaper report of a situation where you absolutely knew the facts - and found the reporting accurate?  My experience is almost never. 

I always remind myself of this when reading a news article where the story just doesn't sound right...    :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »

When have you ever read a local newspaper report of a situation where you absolutely knew the facts - and found the reporting accurate?  My experience is almost never. 

I always remind myself of this when reading a news article where the story just doesn't sound right...    :nixweiss:

That's a hazard for local beat writers.  They have to write about everything.  Whether they know anything about it or not.  The farther afield from whatever experience or knowledge they have the worse the final product can be.  While it is unfortunate it's also unavoidable.  Local coverage just isn't going to be handled by people knowledgeable of everything they're writing about.  Hell, a kit a year out of J-School already looking to head to a better gig isn't going to be knowledgeable about much of anything yet.

captain_jeb

• Junior CVO Member
  • Hunne B

• CVO1: 2012 Citrin
    • CVO2: 2010.5 Crimson mist/Dark slate
    • CVO3: 2007 SE2 Midnight Blue/Blue Pearl
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:46:32 PM »

If that was rear brake only which is around 25 - 30% of braking capability, on a motorcycle, then his speed is 48 - 60 miles per hour. However I would doubt he could stay upright that long without the rear end coming out from under him.
Klock Werks 8.5
Fullsac cores, 2"
SE Pro super tuner
Custom dynamics LED turn lights and smoke lay down tail light
No good deed goes unpunished!

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.