Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Kuryakyn Mark IV highway pegs  (Read 20370 times)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
Re: Kuryakyn Mark IV highway pegs
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 09:35:04 AM »

I recently installed Mark IV's on my 05 FLSTFSE. The "crossbar" which supports the Hwy pegs using a fat chrome-cross-bar runs right through the area of the spoiler. I had already changed out the stock buckshot floorboards for HD Flame floorboards. Had to change the floorboard support as well.

With that already behind me, the install only left the question: What to sacrifice the spoiler or the chrome cross support. According to tech support at Kuryakyn there is no solution: give up the spoiler. Now, even though the spoiler is chrome plastic, it still looked so great I wasn't willing to give it up. So, I didn't.

I cut away (fabricated, modified: whatever. If my brother Aussie can do stuff, so can I !!) and made the spoiler clip right on to the chrome-cross-bar. Took a minimum amount of time and I am thinkin' about having a real chrome spoiler made from this cut away model.

The Pictures are coming, give me a few to download.....
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

Taildraggerdave

• Junior CVO Member
  • V-twin Exhaust--the sound of freedom
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 10:26:27 AM »

Looking forward to the pics....
Love my '05

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 03:43:51 PM »

I recently installed Mark IV's on my 05 FLSTFSE. The "crossbar" which supports the Hwy pegs using a fat chrome-cross-bar runs right through the area of the spoiler. I had already changed out the stock buckshot floorboards for HD Flame floorboards. Had to change the floorboard support as well.

With that already behind me, the install only left the question: What to sacrifice the spoiler or the chrome cross support. According to tech support at Kuryakyn there is no solution: give up the spoiler. Now, even though the spoiler is chrome plastic, it still looked so great I wasn't willing to give it up. So, I didn't.

I cut away (fabricated, modified: whatever. [highlight]If my brother Aussie can do stuff, so can I [/highlight]!!) and made the spoiler clip right on to the chrome-cross-bar. Took a minimum amount of time and I am thinkin' about having a real chrome spoiler made from this cut away model.

The Pictures are coming, give me a few to download.....

Good on ya mate! hope to see the pictures soon!

cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 04:08:13 PM »

Remember, this is a prototype of the spoiler mod. It is close to what I will want for final product.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 04:15:45 PM by kona76 »
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »

Another angle...

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 04:38:20 PM »

Left Side Mod note: the gap that the spoiler has between chrome bar and spoiler is to show the cut out size. It does not have that much of a gap when fully attached.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 04:42:14 PM »

From the riding position...

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 04:42:50 PM »

Last one...

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 05:29:53 PM »

Looking real good kona, why do you want to go to sheet metal & chrome? that would be a lot of work & expence for not much gain. The plastic chrome still looks OK.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Taildraggerdave

• Junior CVO Member
  • V-twin Exhaust--the sound of freedom
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2006, 07:40:50 PM »

Yes, I think I would leave it as is.  Looks great.  What you could do is remove the spoiler and make a template for both sides of the actual cutout size.  Photograph and post that.  Then a guy could print it out and lay it over the chrome spoiler and cut it out.
Love my '05

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 05:06:56 AM »

My friends are the best. I swear...Aussie and Taildragger, thanks. I get much more than HD emotional support when I started interacting with you two guys. So, thanks.

I believe the only reason to go to a "final chrome piece" is the fatigue factor on the plastic. I think the biggest percentage of grime, inpact of rocks and road junk hit right there on the spoiler. It's a magnet for liquid garbage and bugs as well. I'm hoping a sheetmetal / chrome spoiler made from a template might be of interest to some of us too. Ya never know.

Thanks for lookin' at my latest guys,

Mike K.
Kona76

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2006, 10:13:53 AM »

kona, wow looks great [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] and its where the highway pegs should be nice and low. so let me know if i got this straight, did you have to change out the stock buckshot floorboards and the supports to make this all work with the crossbar.

Again looking real good man  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »

kona, wow looks great [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] and its where the highway pegs should be nice and low. so let me know if i got this straight, did you have to [highlight]change out the stock buckshot floorboards and the supports[/highlight] to make this all work with the crossbar.

Again looking real good man

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2006, 12:09:11 AM »

Thanks EAGLE1. Yes, but I didn't change out the floorboard supports for the crossbar, I did it for the Flame floorboards which don't line up with the buckshot. I took advantage of this by getting
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

tunedse2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2006 SE FatBoy Autumn Haze
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 11:28:35 AM »

Kona, that looks great... what did you cut that plastic with? and is there any peeling or did it melt at all from heat?  Thanks for an outstanding idea thats the end of a very long lived dilema..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.