Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike shuts off  (Read 1424 times)

DaBluzDude

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Bike shuts off
« on: April 22, 2006, 07:07:48 PM »

This probably has nothing to do with my bike being a CVO, but I figured I would start here.  '05 FLSTFSE, about 800 miles, I bought a week ago (had about 600 miles).  Took a ride this morning about 40 miles, no problems, turned bike off for about 45 minutes, no problems, ran about another 12 miles, turned off for about thirty minutes, no problem.  ran about 5 miles, bike starts to feel like it is missing a bit, I continue on my way then the miss becomes definately distinguishable.  stop at stop sign, idle is fine, on my way again start to feel the miss, then bike cuts off completely, dead, no guages, no signals, no nothin'.  I grab the clutch and coast off the road to a safe spot (luckily).  Turned ignition off, back on, nothing.  waited about two minutes, tried again, everything came to life, and made it home without further issue.  This afternoon I decided to check it out with another short ride.  less than a mile, started to feel the miss, then dead, coasted to a safe spot (my luck is still hanging on).  waited a couple of minutes, fired up and back home.  Everything I know to look at looks ok.  battery has a good full charge, nice tight clean connections, all fuses and relay nicely seated.  Any ideas?

thanks,

Pat

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Bike shuts off
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:28:12 PM »

Pat,

There was a recall on my FLH 2001, the 40 amp Main Circuit breaker was bad and it would "open" for reasons other than which it was designed, causing an unexpected interruption of all electrical power.  I had the issue you describe prior to the recall.

You may have a similar issue.  It would occur mostly when the bike was hot/warm.  The thing that triggered my recall of it was you saying everything was dead, I would sure think it has to be that circuit breaker or some other short in the main harness area.

DaBluzDude

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 07:51:33 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean, I traded an '03 Ultra Classic for this bike.  I had that breaker replaced on the ultra as part of the recall you are referring to (although that bike never had any problems).  It definitely feels like it is electrical in nature, and that failing breaker due to heat was the first thing I thought of too.  I looked through the owners manual, but I don't find any reference to any circuit breakers on this bike.

thanks,
pat

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 09:08:45 PM »

[size=36]STOP RIDING THE BIKE ... NOW !!!!!![/size] [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif]

I am in communication with an attorney & safety expert that are engaged in a lawsuit against the MOCO for the wrongful death of a Electraglide rider for the failure of the breaker. The poor guy had the breaker fail at an inopportune moment and crashed into a side of a mountain. He impaled himself on the fairing/windshield and left behind his wife and a disabled son.
I had this very same thing happen to me with my 2000EG Classic while riding at night and luckily I got to the side of the road safely and was able to re-start and get the bike home. I installed the new 50amp breaker and had no further issues. I had my wife riding with me at the time of the failure. Thank GOD we weren't doing 70 on the interstate next to a big rig at night... we'd be dead now.

Please trailer your scoot to the nearest HD dealer and get this corrected!! At the VERY LEAST get the new 50 amp main CB and install it prior to riding any more. Your life is at stake.

Please post and let us know that you got the problem corrected.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:23:21 PM »

I can't remember what year it was, but H-D stopped using circuit breakers and went back to regular fuses.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DaBluzDude

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:05:30 PM »

ok guys, thanks for your help.  My dealer is about 50 miles away so it will be sometime next week before I can get back over there.  I will look for that maxi fuse to check it out.

thanks,
pat

J.J.

• Full CVO Member
  • If you can accept losing, you can't win
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 03:56:52 PM »

SEULTRA,

I have a 2001 FLSTF carbed.  Never had this issue but would my year/model qualify for this issue?

Thanks for the info,
J.J.
2006 Black and Slate
SE Stage 1
Rinehart True Duals
HD Race Tuner
99.8HP 103TQ

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 05:27:46 PM »

SEULTRA,

I have a 2001 FLSTF carbed.

DaBluzDude

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 06:02:36 PM »

Dealer says he has it fixed.  Loose wire at main breaker.  hmmm... I thought there were no breakers.  Guess it was too much trouble for the MoCo to mention that in the owners manual.  I won't be able to pick it up until later in the week, so we'll see.  Hopefully it is fixed and no more issues.  Thanks to everyone that replied.

peace,
pat

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 22 queries.