Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Fender Blemish  (Read 1062 times)

ncdoc

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Rear Fender Blemish
« on: May 31, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »

Well, for those who followed the "exhaust" thread, I had my SE 16 gauge pipes installed.  I am very happy with the results.  No dyno tuning as of yet, probably after a few more miles.  Seems to run stronger by the SOTP dyno :).

Of course now I notice another "problem", albeit a cosmetic one.  It seems the rear part of the pillion has worn a U-shaped groove in the clear coat beneath.  This is not visible with the seat installed.  It falls just outside the protective coating on the rear fender.  I placed some pieces of rubber underneath the footpads of the pillion to bring it off the paint to prevent this from worsening.  I guess I'll show the dealer, but I am not hoping for much to be done :(.  I can't see the damage, but it bothers me to know it is there nonetheless.  Anyone else had this problem??

I know, I know

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Once I finish the re-install on this computer I'll get some pics up :).

Thanks for all the help so far.

Greg

Hey Now

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Rear Fender Blemish
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:03:53 PM »

I have a similar problem.    Where the pillion meets the seat, the chrome seat skirt was rubbing against the fender and scraped it all the way down to the metal.

I brought it into the dealer who had to refer it to the regaional head of Harley, but ultimately they agreed to provide me with a brand new fender.

They also put a couple of extra rubber washers on the seat which brings it up enough not to rub.
Screamin' Eagle Fat Boy '06 - Autumn Haze
- HD Flush Gas Cap
- V&H Big Radius Pipes
- Iron Cross Laydown Plate
- 9/11 Engraved Derby
- Custom Seat
- MotoLight Passing Lights (installed low on the fork)
- Sp

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:52:12 PM »

guys you need to be very careful when reinstalling the seat, if it is too far forward the rear
chrome pillion will make contact with the paint, not good! i noticed the same thing when i got my bike back from the dealer after the 1k service. if you slide the seat back and forth after you engage the front hook you will notice that the seat will follow the contour of the fender at a certain position, and maintain a 1/8 gap with the pillion all the way around, position it too much forward and the back edge makes contact with the fender. the protective coating is not intended to support the metal edge of the pillion, its only for giving the rubber feet that are under the pillion a place to sit without mussin with the paint.

Toes in the water, ass in the sand

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 08:14:31 PM »

I installed the rear pillion seat and had to carefully cut and lay down the clear protective tape provided with the pillion to ensure all areas where the pillion contacted the paint were covered with tape to avoid paint wear.  This extra time spent has saved me a lot of clearcoat touchup...

ncdoc

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:14:59 PM »

Good info.  Looks like I am destined for a meeting with my dealer in the near future.  I appreciate the advice EAGLE1 - will look carefully at this when re-installing.

ncdoc

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:18:23 PM »

One more nit on the seat, when I took delivery last year I noticed the underside of the seat had some staples protruding that were in contact with the rear fender when you sat on the seat and put butt pressure on the seat.  Worth a quick inspection as the staples served no purpose I pulled them out.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.