Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 06 SE FAT BOY - WHICH RACE TUNER FILE TO USE?  (Read 1829 times)

RATKING

• Enjoy the Ride; Get Back Safe!
06 SE FAT BOY - WHICH RACE TUNER FILE TO USE?
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:25:14 PM »

Hi Guys,

I must be missing something.  I bought 2 race tuners, one for my 05 SEFB, and one for my brother's 06 SEFB.  I put Thunderheaders on each.  I tuned mine with the SERT using calibration number #19, file number number 127MK004.  I have done some fine tuning and the bike is really singing.  I did not tune my brother's because I wanted to beat up on him for a while.  He finally pressured me to tune his 06.  I have gone through the files in the latest CD ROM (this is the version "G" CD dated 3/23/06).  I have read every file designation and cannot find the file that will work with the 06 SEFB.  What gives?

The 06 Touring Model files are there for both the 25 and 6 degree injectors, even for the 06 Dynas with the O2 sensors.  I cannot find a specific listing for the 06 SEFB.  Is there a reason for this omission?  Does the 06 SEFB have something unique about it?  Is the computer different?  I did not want to attempt to use the SERT for fear of "marrying" the interface to the bike, if it will not work.  

I have heard some conflicting info on the 06 bikes.  I have been told that the early 06 models are the same as the '05, somewhere in the production year they say the '06 was changed.  I was told that they added catalytic converter style mufflers, and that there were injector changes.  I was even told that the later production 06 SEFB's had O2 sensors.  It has been said that the early 06 production bikes (those actually made in 2005) will be exempt for the EPA requirements on the 06 bikes.  I know that there is a lot of misinformation going around.  Some of this coming directly from the local Harley dealer, some of this from threads on this site.  Does anybody know the truth.

For the experts on the SE Race Tuner, what map are you using as the base download for your 2006 SE FAT BOYS?  Inquiring minds want to know.  I am going to feel like a real smack-ass if I am missing something obvious.  As always, your input is appreciated.

RATKING

• Enjoy the Ride; Get Back Safe!
Re: 06 SE FAT BOY - WHICH RACE TUNER FILE TO USE?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:55:50 AM »

Hi Guys,

For anyone who may have been following this thread with any interest, I have the answer. I had gone to several of the Harley dealers in the area, and was stunned to learn how little they knew about the Race Tuner. I found that beyond the factory downloads, they did very little with the SERT, and if delving, had played with the Power Commander, basically because it had been around longer and was well supported. Personally, I do not like add-ons interfering with the primary computer. I like to program the brain itself. I have found the infinitely adjustable Race Tuner to be a lot of fun; it is a superior product in my opinion. There are plenty of downloadable maps available from www.HDmaps.com if you do not want to "Roll Your Own".

In any event, the answer. In the absence of verifiable info, I decided to simply try it. I used the custom program from my 05 SEFB to program my brother's 06, and it worked perfectly. I knew we were probably OK when I was able to retrieve his computer info through the interface. I got my brother to bless the event, because he was going to eat the cost of the SERT if it did not work. It worked beautifully. An interesting observation: my 05 and his 06 SEFB are set up the same, stock, except for the Thunderheader. His 06 ran much worse than mine did; I am convinced that his stock factory ECM program was even worse (meaning more EPA friendly) than the factory program for my 2005. I also think that his bike had a catalyst muffler system on it, as it was much heavier. The performance improvement was dramatic. Both bikes are rockin' now, great performance, no surging or hesitation, no popping on deceleration, and a lower idle RPM to better emit that famous Harley Lope. I can not express the performance improvement enough, it really changes these bikes from Screaming Chickens to Screaming Eagles, and that is what it is all about.

By the way, I am still looking for any feedback on this related topic: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1144641497 . This is regarding the SERT Interfaces. Does anyone have the answer for that? The answer could save us SE Race Tuner guys a lot of money. Answers anyone, anyone?

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
Re: 06 SE FAT BOY - WHICH RACE TUNER FILE TO USE?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:47:17 PM »

I just had this install, SERT & V&H bigshot staggered and K&N filter, I wanted to have them do a baseline pull with the stock setup, and then have them install everything and tweak it in, but I was told that they dont have a resistive dyno, so they cant give a max HP & TQ result. dont know if its a line of crap or not, so they just installed everything downloaded a stock map and sent me on my way. the map file was 141pd004, which dosent specifically say its for the fat boy.
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 22 queries.