Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody have the same problem...  (Read 2878 times)

eagle.b

Anybody have the same problem...
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »

2005 flstfe:

I bought the bike just over 2 years ago, since day 1 occasionally ( I would say every 20 starts ) when I hit the start button I would just get a grinding noise , no turn over but would turn over on the next hit and start. I took it to a local HD and they changed the starter and starter clutch assembly. It stopped for approx 6 months then started doing it again, went back to HD and they said it's not the starter it's something else. What a coincidence. So I've been putting up with it for about a year now but it's now happening more often, almost every time I go out it happens at least once.

Anybody else have this problem?

any thoughts?

berniemc

• Full CVO Member
Re: Anybody have the same problem...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »

Sounds like the ring  on ur flywheel is bad in a spot or two.

SE-Mike

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 CVO FatBoy
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »

I had a similar problem with mine. The starter would kick out when trying to start the bike hot (sounded like all hell breaking loose). It turned out to be the starter clutch. The factory one is not very good, had it replaced with a MES or ???, cant remember the brand but they have a lifetime warrany. You said when you had the starter and starter clutch replaced it stopped for 6 weeks? I don't think it would be the flywheel then, but may be the starter clutch again?

eagle.b

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »

Not sure. I talked to a non-HD mechanic, he laughed when I said HD changed the starter and starter clutch. Without getting into detail, he said the SE motor is too powerful for the starter and for $150 he can fix it so it doesn't happen again. Not sure what he has in mind, not sure if I trust him.

Thoughts?

SE-Mike

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 CVO FatBoy
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 06:00:45 PM »

Not sure. I talked to a non-HD mechanic, he laughed when I said HD changed the starter and starter clutch. Without getting into detail, he said the SE motor is too powerful for the starter and for $150 he can fix it so it doesn't happen again. Not sure what he has in mind, not sure if I trust him.

Thoughts?

The starter that comes stock in our bikes is already the high output starter from Harley. I think that if it was the flywheel the dealer would have said something about it looking bad when they had it apart to do the starter. I'm curious what he's going to fix for $150?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »

The stock starter on the CVO 103" and 110" engines is a higher output 1.4 kW starter, but the starter drive clutch is nothing special and plenty of folks (including yours truly) have had them fail.  IF your complete starter was replaced, it was probably unnecessary since the actual starter motor is very reliable (it's made by Nippondenso and it's used in automotive applications, not just on Harley's).  I'd suggest replacing just the one way clutch, which you can pick up for about $40 including shipping on ebay versus the $100+ for the Harley kit.  While you have the outer primary off to remove the starter, closely inspect the ring gear on the clutch for damaged teeth.

I have no idea what that mechanic has in mind to "fix" your problem for $150, but he is wrong when he says the starter isn't powerful enough for your engine.  Maybe he plans to replace the one way clutch and he's charging $100 labor plus the part?  I'd suggest you find out exactly what he is talking about before having him do anything.

BTW, is the engine modified or basically stock?  If cranking compression is significantly higher than stock due to modifications, then you may need to think about compression releases.  Just a thought.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

eagle.b

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »

Completely stock .

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 21 queries.