Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 CVO springer stock exhaust  (Read 3876 times)

motopierre

2009 CVO springer stock exhaust
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »

I'm the new owner of a stock 2009 CVO springer. Where I live it's start to be difficult to put pipes on bike, because of the police likes to give us $150 ticket each time they can. They can't test the bike, so the only way of being legal, is to have harley davidson stock pipe. That why I want to know if theres catalytic converter in the pipes or in the slip-ons. And if it's easy to modify the stock baffles.

Thank you for you help.

Motopierre

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
Re: 2009 CVO springer stock exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »

I have an '08 and am looking at your picture.
Take the little bolts out of the end of the pipe and pull the baffles out. If they are the same as mine were, they will be wrapped in fiberglass.
Cut the glass off and slide the baffles back in. It will richen up the tone enough to sound decent without overpowering your eardrums.

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »

you will find that the muffler can has the cat in it, the baffles are riveted in also. Maybe be better to buy & modify a SE muffler set, i have heard of some good results from opening up the SE baffles. ;)

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »

Hate to be a kiljoy but I ride the same CVO and they are programmed to run lean from the factory to be emitions complient.  If you gut your exhaust it will run even more lean and then hot due to the lack of back pressure and retaining the stock tune.  When I installed my Drag Specialties Pythons it ran extremely lean and I hade to get the power commander V to richen it up.  The pipes are loud as hell out of the box and would definitely get you some attention from the cops.  I recently installed the vance and hines "quite baffles" which loweredthe decibles substancially while retaining a deep grumble.  Still screems at high RPM.  Also gained a little more low end torque due to the regained back pressure.......

Point is, if you want better performance and sound; spend the cash to get the right exhause and electronics for your situation.  You are going to be really upset when your bike runs like crap after you modify the stock exhaust. 
2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

motopierre

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:11:44 PM »

Thanks guys, now that snow is melting here, I will try the bike nest week for the first time and then, I will look at the inside of each slip on to see how it's made.

Thank you and ride safe.

Motopierre

motopierre

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 06:42:21 PM »

After lot of searching, I find a thread about the same exhaust system in the CVO convertible section. They said that the CC was in the muffler and not in the pipe. So I remove 1 slip-on just to be sure and it was the case the CC was there. I decide to replace the slip-ons with SE part 80495-07. They have the same look, are about an inch shorter. The removable tip diameter is larger. I figure that for the price I paid $300, it's better to keep the stock ones than trying to mods them to my taste. When I install them I found that the sound was not as deep as I wanted so I drill a 5/8 inc hole in the diffuser that redirect the exhaust flow in the baffle. Now the sound is more of what I want.

For tuning device I choose to use Dynojet Power vision from Fuel Moto, because it's a Flash device so the installation was a lot simpler and the tuning ability with stock sensor.

Right now I'm satisfied with my exhaust system. I just need more time to play with the PV to see if I can customise my tune.

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »

Glad its worked out for you finally.

I've recently had the baffles from a SE muffler can retro fitted into the standard CVO cans on my 08. You get all the performance and keep the EPA compliance stamps too!

Though i do love the Bassani's on my 09.   :drink: Dave

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »

Your bike is looking great.
Jesus is Lord

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »

I'm the new owner of a stock 2009 CVO springer. Where I live it's start to be difficult to put pipes on bike, because of the police likes to give us $150 ticket each time they can. They can't test the bike, so the only way of being legal, is to have harley davidson stock pipe. That why I want to know if theres catalytic converter in the pipes or in the slip-ons. And if it's easy to modify the stock baffles.

Thank you for you help.

Motopierre

Parking in that handicap spot will get you a ticket too, lol  :P
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »

By the way, I'm browsing this sub forum because I think that blue 2009 CVO Springer is THE nicest looking Harley that I've ever seen. If I'm ever able, I'd love to pick one up as a second bike. I'd settle for a 2006 non CVO Springer Softail too, but from what I've seen, people like to ask a pretty penny for them- seem like for about $3,000 more, you could pick up a 2007 or 2008 CVO.

Matter of fact, I saw a 2007 (or 2008?) CVO recently sell on ebay for only $14,500! It had low miles too.

Anyways, enough of my thread hi-jack... ;D

2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 22 queries.