Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adjustable Rear Suspension  (Read 1697 times)

ZethMil93

• You get what you pay for!
Adjustable Rear Suspension
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »

I have a down payment on a new 2012 CVO Streetglide and I should get it in a couple of weeks.  I was wondering how low it can sit with the stock hydro shocks adjusted all of the way down.  Looks like from the pictures that if I could get it down to 1-2 inches I'd be happy with that.  So far, all I can find about the shocks is that it will stiffen or soften the ride.  But does it actually lower or stay the same height?
Thanks

Zeth
04 Heritage softail
06 stripped, one-off Streetbob
Zeth Milburn
2012 CVO Streetglide
2006 Street Bob
2009 Silverado 1500 6.2L Vortec Max
2011 Joyner Trooper

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Adjustable Rear Suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:50:54 AM »

The adjustability in the stock shocks is not a ride height adjustment.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »

I have a down payment on a new 2012 CVO Streetglide and I should get it in a couple of weeks.  I was wondering how low it can sit with the stock hydro shocks adjusted all of the way down.  Looks like from the pictures that if I could get it down to 1-2 inches I'd be happy with that.  So far, all I can find about the shocks is that it will stiffen or soften the ride.  But does it actually lower or stay the same height?
Thanks

Zeth
04 Heritage softail
06 stripped, one-off Streetbob

The preload setting isn't meant to be used to lower the bike, it is used to adjust the amount of compression versus rebound travel based on the load on the bike (sag).  If you are average or larger in size, or carry a passenger, leaving the shocks at the minimum preload setting will result in a harsh ride due to very limited compression travel and frequent bottoming of the shock.  If you want to actually lower the bike further than what it is already lowered from the factory, which isn't a great idea btw, the correct way would be with shorter shocks or perhaps one of the air adjustable solutions like Legends that allow you to lower the bike on the fly for getting your feet firmly on the ground when stopped, then raising it back up for proper ride and handling when moving.

Why do you want to lower it more than stock?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ZethMil93

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »

Yeah, I haven't even seen the bike yet, but I heard it was pretty low already.  I am 6-2 and 240lbs so I would not need Legend air adjustment.  But my question was answered and thanks for the info.  Guess I will just wait and see it in person and ride before I decide to lower.  From what I am reading, I'll prob. leave it alone.  THanks!
Zeth Milburn
2012 CVO Streetglide
2006 Street Bob
2011 Joyner Trooper

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »

Yeah, I haven't even seen the bike yet, but I heard it was pretty low already.  I am 6-2 and 240lbs so I would not need Legend air adjustment.  But my question was answered and thanks for the info.  Guess I will just wait and see it in person and ride before I decide to lower.  From what I am reading, I'll prob. leave it alone.  THanks!

There's all kinds of stuff underneath the rear fender that you don't want the tire rubbing...like wiring harnesses.  Good idea to leave them at least where they are from the factory.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ZethMil93

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 03:52:27 PM »

There's all kinds of stuff underneath the rear fender that you don't want the tire rubbing...like wiring harnesses.  Good idea to leave them at least where they are from the factory.

Yes I know this.  I have rebuilt a couple of bikes so I am no dummy.  I was just curious to know if the stock hydro shocks would lower it 1 to 2 inches and "compress" causing a stiffer and more rigid ride, or if it would just lower the bike some without compromising the ride.  I am used to spring shocks so thats what I wanted to know.  Seems like they pretty much act the same as in compressing the shock would give you a stiffer ride and visa versa.  I did not want to slam it or anything like one of my other bikes that I lowered 4 inches and made rigid.  Besides, I don't think there are any shocks (made to fit) a bike that would actually let you bottom out the bike and let the inards of the fender hit the tire.  But I am sure its happened before with some "backyard oh this might work" rebuilds.  Thanks for the replies though everyone. 
Zeth Milburn
2012 CVO Streetglide
2006 Street Bob
2011 Joyner Trooper

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »

There are some brackets on the market that lower the bike by moving the position of the bottom eye of the shock, which, IMO is a bad idea.  From what I've heard, the adjustable shocks on the SESG are pretty decent.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.