Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Saddle Bags Falling Off  (Read 51691 times)

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Saddle Bags Falling Off
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2013, 11:34:09 PM »

:beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

weigandm

« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »

Gotta love the folks who have been lucky so far and thus seem to feel superior to those other folks who obviously don't know how to install the bags properly.  I'm waiting for one of them to come back and report that even they have finally been bitten.  Assuming they would fess up to being wrong of course.

With all the variability in Harley's bikes and accessories, why is it that some people can't seem to believe it's possible that some bags, even when properly installed, have and can come loose?  Most of the many faults found on Harley's aren't in the 100% category, some fail and some don't.  If you have one that doesn't suffer a particular failure that is common on other bikes, it's much more likely to be related to chance and not some superiority of the guy riding the bike.   

As the fireman once said, where there is smoke there is often fire.

Jerry

After checking install and loading gear, lost left bag on I-15, 4 lanes of heavy high speed traffic, after 10 miles.  Everything was destroyed.  Don't trust the system anymore.  Don't like the idea of creating a fail-safe for HD.  Love this bike, but feel that a $30,000 ride should have a rethink on bags.  When considering the number of these built, it seems someone would take a serious look.  HD wants over $1,000 for parts to replace one bag.  How many of these occurrences does it take to alarm HD?

Wagggs

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »

They don't get alarmed because they don't care....

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
  • My 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »

I had my left bag fall off, decided it was pilot error. Next time I will make sure it is properly latched. A lesson learned.
Maple Metallic & Roman Gold with Burnished Copper Graphics
Vance/Hines slip-ons, 84 LED's amber, Cee Baily x4 windshield. New factory mirrors replaced by HD. LED tail lights.

cvobreeze

« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »

I have a 2011 CVO Softtail Convertable , my bags have fallen off on three separate occasions . Each time was during a long trip ,and fairly high speeds.It not only scared the crap outta me and my passenger, but was VERY dangerous, as it took my mind TOTALLY off the road and my surroundings. Each time I picked the bag up ,from the highway or street , and thankfully the bag was intact,but the vinyl and locks were torn up and scratched to the point of needing to be recovered and replaced. Each time I had the bags recovered at my own cost , 400 each time.... and replaced the locks 150 a pair....
This last incident was the final straw, I called Harley and they told me to bring it to Dealer, the Dealer tugged on them a few times and told me they seemed fine and they couldnt send the bag to Harley cause it cost them money and Harley wont reimburse them. I know will get my bag recovered for the third time and change the lock again.....
I buy only American vehicles ,cars and Bikes .... I have spent 50,000 dollars at Harley on bikes since 2006.... I am looking for a new bike as we speak, maybe time to check out some Victory cycles.....

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2013, 07:36:23 PM »

cvobreeze, consider your options carefully, the ConV is a great bike.  I am the poster boy for complaining about the bag issue yet I love the bike.  I have owned several metric bikes and 4 different Harleys and this bike is the perfect fit for the kind of riding I do now.  We all understand your frustrations with the MoCo but if the bags are the only issue you have with this bike, a few cheap cable ties will solve the problem quickly.

cvobreeze

« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »

I am trying to consider my options wisely Jasray, I thought Harley may be a little more understanding and possibly have me send the bag and back and look at it ....... I called twice and got a very rude reprisenitive,who would only repeat over and over to refer to my owners manual.Did not want to hear anything about it. they could have offered to recover it and change the lock for me ,even if at a discounted price.... they blew me off. plain and simple .I have spent alot of money to own an american classic motorcycle.... a HARLEY DAVIDSON ,only to be treated like a customer of another chinese monster cooperation , who just pumps out cheap bikes and  parts  to make billions of dollars , no quality and no time for those who buy them. It was a sad realization, I bought a 20,000 dollar bike in 06, and a 30,000 dollar bike in 2011, You think they could have given me a little more consideration.  So much for Americans watching each others backs , so much for American pride.... Thats all I have to say.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »

:beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

I feel your pain, but - I do believe they made a change on the 2012 - FLSTSE3 - I have over 14k on mine and have NOT had a problem. I know - some of you say "wait it will" - but IMHO - most of the times it is OE.  :nixweiss:
Good luck to Ya'LL :-\

For my $$$ this is one of the best CVO's I have owned so far :2vrolijk_21:
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

paconico1992

• Senior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015/16/17/18 CVO Street Glides
    • CVO2: 2010 Softtail Convertible
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »

If you don't want your bags falling off anymore and don't want to spend money on repair or replacing your bags :pepper:, have hard bags put on. :pepper:

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2013, 11:59:28 PM »

I have been thinking about this for a while now. When I first got the ConV I had both bags fall off on 3 different occasions. One time the lower bracket  on the left bag was bent enough that I had to replace it. I installed the bracket loosely, mounted the bag and adjusted the position and tightened everything down. After that I noticed was that the bag was much easier to mount and unmount so I loosened adjusted and re-tightened the right side brackets as well.

Now consider these bags and the mounting hardware. Why do some guys have this issue and others do not? They are essentially the same exact parts and if you discount occasional human error what's left? Can it possibly be that alignment (or HD's misalignment) of the brackets is that critical?   :nixweiss:  Who knows but as I have said before since adjusting the brackets with the bags mounted AND my compulsive double checking that the bags are mounted properly and locked in place before I ride, it has not happened again. These are the same bags and same bike and I went from 3 bag drops the first season to ZERO in the subsequent 2.

I too wish the MoCo would replace my bags as I do not appreciate the road rash patina on my otherwise pristine ride but until someone collects and compiles all the data on how many ConV owners have had this problem, HD will continue to live in denial.

MikeV 
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »

Mine has just fell off again!!!
I think its down to the location nearest the seat not being fully located, ie human error but there is too much room for human error!

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »

OUCH !!!

Best insurance is 10 cents of zip ties. 

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »

We feel your pain brother :'( .   Second the suggestion for zip ties......

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2013, 10:23:05 AM »

Don't use the bags that often! but when I do! its always with the zip ties!! too many horror stories!!!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »

Don't use the bags that often! but when I do! its always with the zip ties!! too many horror stories!!!

I sure hope they are official Bar & Shield zip ties.  You should never trust cheap inferior aftermarket ties to protect your Harley bags.   ;D

I would think that Harley should at least send all you guys a supply of zip ties, if they don't intend to fix the root cause of the problem. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.