Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cone Air Filter  (Read 2313 times)

Hey Now

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Cone Air Filter
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »

Has anyone put a cone air filter on the SE2?     I really like the look of the spiked cone but would like to see some pix if possible on the bike.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 09:58:41 AM by cruggiero »
Screamin' Eagle Fat Boy '06 - Autumn Haze
- HD Flush Gas Cap
- V&H Big Radius Pipes
- Iron Cross Laydown Plate
- 9/11 Engraved Derby
- Custom Seat
- MotoLight Passing Lights (installed low on the fork)
- Sp

SPIDERMAN

Re: Cone Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:05:24 PM »

My understanding is that these cone shaped filters do not flow as large a volume of air as the round and oval shaped " flat " filters. I know when I put one on my Buell, I actually lost a bit. I left it on because the K & N round unit was a hard hit on my leg and the swept forward style of the cone got it out of the way. Wasn't a big deal, maybe a couple HP and a few ft lbs. Your bike, do what you think looks good. That's what makes this thing we do satisfying.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 01:07:28 PM by SPIDERMAN »

MikeDCMF

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 Screaming Eagle Fat Boy Platnum/Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 08:15:02 AM »

Was looking for a K & N air filter for my 05 SEFB on their website and could not find a part number. Can anyone Help?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 10:17:07 AM »

Was looking for a K & N air filter for my 05 SEFB on their website and could not find a part number. Can anyone Help?
Mike,

If you are looking for just the filter element to fit the Screamin' Eagle backplate, that part number is HD-0800.  This is the same element that used to come with the SE air filter kit, before H-D changed to the cheapo version.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MikeDCMF

• FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:58:36 AM »

Mike,

If you are looking for just the filter element to fit the Screamin' Eagle backplate, that part number is HD-0800.  This is the same element that used to come with the SE air filter kit, before H-D changed to the cheapo version.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I assume the SE backplate is sufficient? I am adding an lsr 2-1 with a pc III and a dyno tune hopefully next week  :)

HDMonsterTorque

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 01:12:34 PM »

K&N also has a bigger version, partnumber hd-0700

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=hd-0700

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 01:50:55 PM »

The HD-0700 filter is wider across the surface that the cover attaches to, and will probably not work with stock covers.  The HD-0800 is designed to fit with the stock covers.  See attachment for recommended fitment, and a photo comparison of the two part numbers.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MikeDCMF

• FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »

Thanks for the response. Do you think its worth $50. I've got 2600 miles on my bike right now. will it make a difference (the air filter) with the pipes and pc III over the stock se filter?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 08:59:25 PM »

Thanks for the response. Do you think its worth $50. I've got 2600 miles on my bike right now. will it make a difference (the air filter) with the pipes and pc III over the stock se filter?

Mike,

I bought one, after handing H-D $139.95 for the SE air filter kit and finding the cheapo paper element that tends to disintegrate, so obviously I think it's worth it.  As to the air flow issue, I can't answer that since I've never seen anyone do an instrumented flow comparison.  To me, however, the fact that the K&N will most likely outlast my sorry old butt with nothing more than an occassional cleaning and oiling makes it a good deal.  

Try searching on ebaymotors or the 'net in general - you will probably be able to find a price better than the K&N website.  I bought mine right after they came out with this part number, so there weren't many folks even aware it existed.  Therefore, the best price I found at the time was $48.98 including shipping.  By now the big discount places should have them and the price may be better.

Jerry

Street Stalker

• Junior CVO Member
  • All show and no go, but about to change
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 11:27:25 AM »

Mike,

A very good friend of mine experimented on a dyno with the cone shaped air filter on his 103 and found it was no different in hp or tq. numbers then stock set up...

You would think it would perform a little better because it is further away from the engine (less hot air to breathe) which would translate into a little more power.  Let us know the results the LS-2.  I have heard good and bad about them, hope yours is good.

MikeDCMF

• FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:29:53 PM »

Well so far the experience with rb-racing is not good. week 8 is june 16th. Last time I called he kind of blamed me for wasting his time looking to see if my part was in. the whole 5 minutes to say "its in a huge pile in the back until someone sorts through them, we really don't know if your's are all there or not". I'm typically an easy guy to get along with. I definately don't want to piss them off now, they might make we wait another 2 months who knows. When it does arrive, get installed and tuned, I will be sharing pictures of my bike with mho on the changes. Come on RB get it together. Hire another sweetie to answer the phone and keep the piss ants working!!!!

stel67

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 12:28:13 PM »

Put a Wimmer on it

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 06:08:00 AM »

Put a Wimmer on it

Welcome to the site stel, Thats two new Fatboy owners in 2 Days, beautiful!
That wimmer set up looks exelent! So do the Big Radius. I assume that it is your scoot, what else have you done

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 06:12:06 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

stel67

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 05:05:28 PM »

Welcome to the site stel, Thats two new Fatboy owners in 2 Days, beautiful!
That wimmer set up looks exelent! So do the Big Radius. I assume that it is your scoot, what else have you done

Cheers
Aussie

Gee lets see. Led tail light. Chrome fasterners on rear fender struts. Chrome rotor bolts front and rear.  Bolt head covers on all bolts on engine primary and so on, led fuel/battery gauge, flush mount gas cap.  New plug wires, Wimmer, Chrome fender bolts, SERT, Big Radious pipes. Cluth and brkae cable covers for cables. I think that it about it...for now :)

MikeDCMF

• FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 06:54:19 PM »

Thats quite abit stel, RB Racing tried to deliver my pipes today buy since i wasn't home i have to wait until tomorrow. I guess its been 11 weeks, I ordered it on April 21st. 4 weeks to make it, 4 weeks to get it coated (ceramic), 3 weeks to find the bolts. Just ordered the pcIII, it should be here on monday. Got a feeling its gonna be worth the wait. Perfect timing actually since my bike needs the 5K check up anyway. Gonna do the install myself and get it tuned at the harley dealer when he does the 5K check up. Will do the before and after pics along with the tuning chart. Do you think I will hit 100HP with it?

Mike

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.