Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing Starter  (Read 10730 times)

eagle.b

Changing Starter
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »

Need to change the starter on my 2005 fatboy FLSTFSE , going to do it without the dealer with the assistance of my buddy who is an auto mechanic. He hasn't seen the bike or starter yet but asked me to ask if/what needs to be removed to get to the starter. 

Is it difficult ? should I just take it to the dealer ?

Any recommended brand or stick with HD ?

Thank you

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Changing Starter
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:30 PM »

If you don't already have it get the shop manual and parts manuals for your bike. I believe you will need to take the outer and inner primary off to get to the starter. Regarding what starter to get I can't recommend any particular brand and more than likely if it were me I'd stick with OEM starter.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »

The stock OEM starter is the best choice IMHO.  It's made by Nippon Denso, and the same basic starter is used by folks like Toyota and others in automotive applications.

BTW, why are you replacing the starter?  Failures of the actual starter motor are pretty rare, and often what is really needed is to just replace the drive and overrunning clutch assembly.  If that's all you need, you can save several hundred dollars just replacing the the bad part.  What is it actually doing?

As for any special things your friend needs to know, the big one is that he has to drain the primary and remove the outer primary cover to gain access to the jackshaft bolt.  The bolt, lockplate, and washer have to be removed to remove the pinion gear, before the starter can be slid out from the other side.  The rest of it is pretty obvious and straightforward for a qualified mechanic.  I strongly second fired00d's recommendation on the shop manual.  If you don't want to buy one, see if you can borrow one from a friend or the public library perhaps.  Any Big Twin manual from 1999 through 2006 should be sufficient to get the basic information and the torque specs needed to do the job.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

eagle.b

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »

Thanks Jerry,

I already had the starter clutch assembly replaced and didn't fix my problem. I would say 1 of every 4 attempts to start has a grinding/screaching noise and it doesn't start. The dealer said it was the clutch assembly and replaced it, when i went back and said it still does it they said it needed replacing anyway and now need a starter. i don't trust them and won't go back.

Others have suggested the ring on the flywheel, not sure though. I figure change it all and don't have to worry.

Thoughts ?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »

Thanks Jerry,

I already had the starter clutch assembly replaced and didn't fix my problem. I would say 1 of every 4 attempts to start has a grinding/screaching noise and it doesn't start. The dealer said it was the clutch assembly and replaced it, when i went back and said it still does it they said it needed replacing anyway and now need a starter. i don't trust them and won't go back.

Others have suggested the ring on the flywheel, not sure though. I figure change it all and don't have to worry.

Thoughts ?

My first thought is that your dealer is a doofus who didn't fix it right the first time and is now trying to hold you up.  If the starter motor is turning enough to cause that grinding and screeching then the problem is most likely still in the drive portion of the system, not the electric motor.  Definitely check all the teeth on the ring gear for damage (the doofus dealer should have done that last time) as well as the pinion.  Of course replacing the entire starter might fix it, since it comes with a brand new drive/clutch already installed, but I hate to see folks get ripped off if the only thing wrong is a $40 part.  Ask your auto mechanic buddy if he has access to the proper equipment to bench test the starter; if it passes the electrical tests then the drive is what you need to address, not the electric motor.

My 2005 was doing exactly what you describe, and replacing just the drive/clutch assembly was all that was required.  My ring gear was fine, but a lot of them do get chewed up.  They should be checked any time anyone is in there for any reason, and any qualified dealer mechanic should know that.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

eagle.b

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:46:46 PM »

Will do, Thank you

fatboy63

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTFSE
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »

I would say 1 of every 4 attempts to start has a grinding/screaching noise and it doesn't start.

My 2005 does exactly the same thing, but only when its warmed up, usually when I stop for fuel, annoying and slightly embarrassing!
Only a biker truely understands why a dog sticks its head out of a car window :-)

eagle.b

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »

Funny you should say when it's warm because I'm in Canada and it's freezing here now and I just started it 16 times in a row in my garage before it finally did it. I can't see how the temperature can have anything to do with the fly wheel or starter clutch as suggested ????

Yes, it's very embarrassing.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »

Temperature is important for a few reasons, but the most important in this scenario is that a cold engine will have lower cranking compression so the starter will be able to turn it over a little easier.  A worn one way clutch can still work without slipping at "X" load, but at "X plus 10%" maybe not.  The actual temperature of the components in the clutch will also make a difference, thus if you try to crank it ten times in a row it may crank ok the first nine times and then fail on the tenth as the parts heat up. 

My SEEG would always crank just fine when cold (cold being the first start of the day, regardless of outside temp), but when restarting after stopping for gas or whatever it would grind and fail to turn over about 1 out of 3 attempts.  Replacing the drive and clutch fixed the problem.

Jerry

SE-Mike

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 CVO FatBoy
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »

I would say 1 of every 4 attempts to start has a grinding/screaching noise and it doesn't start.

My 2005 does exactly the same thing, but only when its warmed up, usually when I stop for fuel, annoying and slightly embarrassing!

Same here, replaced the starter clutch and no more problem.
Went with an aftermarket heavier duty unit.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.