Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Thinking about buying an SE V Rod  but>>>  (Read 20737 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Thinking about buying an SE V Rod  but>>>
« on: November 17, 2006, 06:49:01 AM »

I'm 6-3, does anyone make extended forward controls for this beast??? or any other solutions??? Other than that I think I'd be a blast for shorter rides. As Always>>> Thanks! Greg  
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Thinking about buying an SE V Rod
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 02:53:37 PM »

I'm 6-3, does anyone make extended forward controls for this beast??? or any other solutions??? Other than that I think I'd be a blast for shorter rides. As Always>>> Thanks! Greg
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:14:24 PM »

[highlight]I'm 6-3, [/highlight]does anyone make extended forward controls for this beast??? or any other solutions??? Other than that I think I'd be a blast for shorter rides. As Always>>> Thanks! Greg
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »

Not to sound negative but DON'T BUY IT!!!!! You are about 5 inches tooo tall for that bike. I am right at 6.0 and it was to small for me. Nice to look at(they are one of the prettiest SE models)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:37:23 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:58:27 PM »

"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:27:31 AM »

Hey Greg,
As Terry said, I'm 6'1" 200lbs and I love my V. It is a blast to ride, the more I ride it the more I enjoy it. I have a Tallboy seat for mine but I didn't really like it. The seat is wider then I like, doesn't give me enough stability when cornering. To me it seemed to wide and flat. It does however work as advertised, it does give you more leg room. I've had a couple days when I put over 300 miles on with the stock SE seat. Seems like the seat just needed to break in or break me in but now it feels fine. My last bike was a XS1100 which was more of a cafe' racer style with mid controls so for me the V felt uncomfortable until I got used to the forward controls. I also installed heel rests on which allows my feet to relax a little more. If you can, take one for a ride, I understand what DC and Spiderman are saying but I love mine. I installed a PCIIIusb and the SE slip-ons and it flys if you want it to. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to talk more.

Good luck,
Ed

Hey Greg,
Ditto on what Ed says.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

Re: Thinking about buying an SE V Rod  but>>>
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 04:44:20 AM »

Thaks Guys for all the responses>>>>> I think I'll go rent on here in Dallas , ride it for a day and see what I think>>> Greg  

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 08:30:50 AM »

Thaks Guys for all the responses>>>>> I think I'll go rent on here in Dallas , ride it for a day and see what I think>>> Greg

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:30 PM »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 11:47:16 PM »

Greg,  I think it all depends on how you're built...if you're 6'3" and all legs it would be different than if you are long waisted.  At 5'8" with a 29" inseam, the forward controls are as forward as I could stand them.  The stock seat on mine was fine for just me, but I added a Sundowner with pillion so my GF could ride with me sometimes.  It is a very comfortable seat.  There are pics down in the Vrod thread.

The bike is like riding a finely tuned sports car, with almost a chopper feel to it.  Handles the curves great, and will literally blow you off the back...that back on the riders seat is there for a reason!!

The bike gets more looks from people than you would believe...I can't go anywhere without somebody commenting about how beautiful the bike is...I was jockying around with a guy in a Porche Carrera (sp?) the other day, and he pulled up next to me at a redlight, rolled down his window and commented on how awesome the bike looks and sounds.  Ride one and you'll see....

TTS Mastertune

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 07:57:08 AM »

No no, that'll only make it worse. I rented on on Oahu for a day. Blew away all my friends over there with hot rod push rod H-D's Had to have one after that. I HAAAAAAAADDDDDD to have one. Find a place where you rent for a week and put some miles under your butt. If you still like it. Go for it. Everyone should have what the want in life. I didn't mean to come off so negative. They are awesome rides. I just hate to see someone spend money on something only to be disappointed.

B B

No one rents v-rod's in Dallas so I went to  HD of Norht Texas, have  a buddy  there that sold me my Dyna and he just happened to have a new '05 SE so>>>>>>away we went , rode it for about 15 miles, I know that's not enough time but Damn>>>>I gotta have one>>> What the hell, I've never seen a safe deposit box on a hearse. I'll buy oone and if I don't like it I'll resell it and call that the price  of the ticket to have fun>>>>    

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »

Greg,  I think it all depends on how you're built...if you're 6'3" and all legs it would be different than if you are long waisted.  At 5'8" with a 29" inseam, the forward controls are as forward as I could stand them.  The stock seat on mine was fine for just me, but I added a Sundowner with pillion so my GF could ride with me sometimes.  It is a very comfortable seat.  There are pics down in the Vrod thread.

The bike is like riding a finely tuned sports car, with almost a chopper feel to it.  Handles the curves great, and will literally blow you off the back...that back on the riders seat is there for a reason!!

The bike gets more looks from people than you would believe...I can't go anywhere without somebody commenting about how beautiful the bike is...I was jockying around with a guy in a Porche Carrera (sp?) the other day, and he pulled up next to me at a redlight, rolled down his window and commented on how awesome the bike looks and sounds.  Ride one and you'll see....

Yes I know that's the problem>>> I rode one....and gotta have it.. I'm going to put a tall boy seat on it and the longest forward controls I can get, Race tuner , pipes, and twist the chit out of it and hang on..Reminds me of some of my old Shelby's, put a deep gear in the back, 12-1's, nice large snotty cam and twist it>>>  ..Thanks Guys for all your assistance and relieving me from about 20 k or so .I'll be damn careful next time I ask for assistance!!!..Greg

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 02:49:02 PM »

Greg...you got the chit right about no safety deposit boxes... ;D  The SE VROD is an awesome machine...to me, it's the perfect street bike.  Goes like hell, growls like a pitt bull, the lines on the bike flow like a piece of artwork.  There are two...no three...downsides to the bike 1) small gas tank, so get ready to stop every 110 miles or so 2) no place to carry anything (get the luggage rack...a small bag will work well on it and it looks good, imo) 3) the wind blast at over 100 will make you think you're going to get blown loose of the handlebars...and that's just getting into 3rd gear... :o :o :o :o

110 HP+ right out of the box...11 second 1/4 mile times...makes crotch rockets hunt another gear when you blow by 'em...a man needs at least two bikes... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  So, where's the downside?

TTS Mastertune

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »

Greg...you got the chit right about no safety deposit boxes... ;D  The SE VROD is an awesome machine...to me, it's the perfect street bike.  Goes like hell, growls like a pitt bull, the lines on the bike flow like a piece of artwork.  There are two...no three...downsides to the bike 1) small gas tank, so get ready to stop every 110 miles or so 2) no place to carry anything (get the luggage rack...a small bag will work well on it and it looks good, imo) 3) the wind blast at over 100 will make you think you're going to get blown loose of the handlebars...and that's just getting into 3rd gear... :o :o :o :o

110 HP+ right out of the box...11 second 1/4 mile times...makes crotch rockets hunt another gear when you blow by 'em...a man needs at least two bikes... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  So, where's the downside?

Just like my tag like says>>>>When too much is just right >>>>Twice as much is perfect>>>

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 05:20:02 PM »

Just like my tag like says>>>>When too much is just right >>>>Twice as much is perfect>>>

Greg,

Glad you liked the V. Reading through TC's post makes me like mine even more! ;D Mine is an 05' and it's a blast. Looking forward to seeing you post some pics when you get.

Ed

justgary

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 10:33:46 AM »

Good luck with the bike - I'm sure you will enjoy it!  My wife has the 06 SEVrod and I get on it a play every chance I get.  Its fun and fast.  I'm 6'1" 230 and the bike fit pretty well stock.  My wife is quite a bit shorter than I so we had to put the reduced reach foot controls on the bike for her to ride.  I still ride her bike with the reduced reach foot controls and although I would not want to make a long trip its still fine for a short flight around town.  Have fun and ride safe
                                                  Gary  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 11:40:29 AM »

No one rents v-rod's in Dallas so I went to
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 11:41:18 AM by jegomez »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 12:52:58 PM »

Hello Texas...I have one VRODSE '05 with 3435 miles.....and more than $2K in extras.......I am giving in $20K just in case you are interested send me a PM......

Ride safe,

Jorge

Thanks Jorge,

I'm looking for a Red '06>> Greg

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 02:50:45 PM »

Thanks Jorge,

Ok Greg...if I see one around the area I will let you know.........

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 05:10:25 PM »

Thanks Jorge,

Texas,

You are probably already aware of this, but just in case; the 2007 VRod models have increased the fuel capacity from 3.8ish to 5.0 gallons; that should get you another couple of hundred yards down the road. A 240mm meat is available on the rear of the Night Rod Special,

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 09:45:14 PM »

Too bad they didn't make the 5 gallon tank a retrofit.

I think I said this before. IF I was buying a new V-Rod, I would buy an 07 Nightrod and then buy all of the Destroyer parts out of the SE catalogue and build an insane street machine. Even though the 07 SEVROD has the 1250 motor, it does not have the Destroyer heads etc.  Speaking of the 07 SEVROD, San Diego H-D has one on the floor with a sticker price of around $20k. What's up with that ? My 05 was $24,700. I sold it used for $24,500.Only lost the cost of the SERT and the Thunderheader on the deal.  

B B

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 01:43:10 PM »

Speaking of the 07 SEVROD, San Diego H-D has one on the floor with a sticker price of around $20k. What's up with that ? My 05 was $24,700. I sold it used for $24,500.Only lost the cost of the SERT and the Thunderheader on the deal.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:05:04 PM »

Too bad they didn't make the 5 gallon tank a retrofit.

I think I said this before. IF I was buying a new V-Rod, I would buy an 07 Nightrod and then buy all of the Destroyer parts out of the SE catalogue and build an insane street machine. Even though the 07 SEVROD has the 1250 motor, it does not have the Destroyer heads etc.

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 10:05:53 PM »

Just buy it.  You will never regret it.  It's no smaller than a Dyna so should be OK.

CVOMOE
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 05:42:26 PM »

I stopped thinking and just picked my RED SE V Rod>>  Rode  it about 4 blocks>>>DAMN this is gonna be fun>>>Greg
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:43:38 PM by ghillman »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 06:11:24 PM »

I stopped thinking and just picked my RED SE V Rod>>
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »

I stopped thinking and just picked my RED SE V Rod>>

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »

Did you get an 05 or 06?  I'm confused [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Whatever you got, you're gonna love riding this bike!!  It is a blast!!! [smiley=pepper.gif] [smiley=pepper.gif]

We of course, need some pics!!

[smiley=worthless.gif]

TTS Mastertune

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006, 09:08:52 AM »

Greg,
Glad you like the V. Reading back through this thread, and I think everyone will agree. Your new friends are here for you, just trying to keep you from spending too much money, from having too much fun. We're all here to support each other in a mature, responsible way. ;)

So when are the Slip-ons, the K&N air filter and the PCIIIusb going on, of course you'll need a dyno tune. You'll need the chrome master cylinder cover, chrome calipers all around, backrest, luggage rack, corbin seat, the fat rear tire kit and NOS. I'll try and come up with a better list but I may need some help. Come everybody! Lets pull together and help out a brother! ;)

Enjoy! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ed

Damn>>> You guys are all heart>> I appreciate you trying to help out a brother>> SE slip-on's on the way. Got a new "Old" set , the good ones They came from Jenni @ Benji's H/D>>Less 20%.. Jennni is the bomb. Race Tuner coming.. Does the Windvest windshield with the Euro flip work well??? I just can bring myself to put that Big Ass ugly H/D touring windshield on>>>>>

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 09:11:47 AM »

Did you get an 05 or 06?  I'm confused [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Whatever you got, you're gonna love riding this bike!!  It is a blast!!! [smiley=pepper.gif] [smiley=pepper.gif]

We of course, need some pics!!

[smiley=worthless.gif]

I got an '06 and I haven't figured out how to get the pics out of the Friggin camera yet, Guess I'll have to call ny 10 year old neighbor to come over and figure that out>> but I can tell you it's Red and I'm gonna put a few miles on it this morning>>>

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 10:21:07 AM »

I got an '06 and I haven't figured out how to get the pics out of the Friggin camera yet, Guess I'll have to call ny 10 year old neighbor to come over and figure that out>> but I can tell you it's Red and I'm gonna put a few miles on it this morning>>>

I've got the Red 06 too...beautiful bike, and the big fat tire on the rear makes the bike look wicked (that was for you, Ed  ;) )   The SE slips give the bike a nice voice, and they maintain the flow of the lines of the bike, IMO.  They will get a bit louder after they are broken in, so keep that in mind the first time you hear them.  They are not loud at all though...just right for that bike.

I've read varying reports on the Windvest...I would call them or e-mail to be certain of getting the right size.  To my eye, it is by far the only one that looks right on the V, as it follows the line of the front of the bike well. From what I've read, it will do a good job of blocking wind from your chest and head...

Enjoy the new scoot and figure out that camera!!

TTS Mastertune

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 08:11:12 PM »

Enjoy the bike...I sure do...

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 06:28:49 PM »

Damn>>> You guys are all heart>> I appreciate you trying to help out a brother>> SE slip-on's on the way. Got a new "Old" set , the good ones They came from Jenni @ Benji's H/D>>Less 20%.. Jennni is the bomb. Race Tuner coming.. Does the Windvest windshield with the Euro flip work well??? I just can bring myself to put that Big Ass ugly H/D touring windshield on>>>>>

I can't hardly bring myself to put any ugly windshield on it, but you have to if you don't want to get beat up by the wind!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:32:03 PM by TheVgirl »
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 08:14:47 PM »

I can't hardly bring myself to put any ugly windshield on it, but you have to if you don't want to get beat up by the wind!!  Oh and I don't know if the Thunder Header follows the lines of the bike but it sure as heck let folks know you're coming (and going), and I certainly get enough looks and comments about it.  (It doesn't hurt the HP/TQ readings either!)

Hey thanks V Girl.. I thought about a t- header but I'd like to be able to ride for an hour or so without the HD ring in my ear.. Reminds me of my last big block Shelby.. 3:91 Gear and cruise  about 80. Got out of it  after about an hour  and could hear S*&t for 30 min. The V is a rush to ride, not broken in yet about 110 mi. and  not twisting it over 5500 yet but damn it gets there in a hurry, Gotta have a windshield.. I'll get some pics up a soon as I figure out camera>>> Greg      
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.