Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ceramic coated headpipes  (Read 1340 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Ceramic coated headpipes
« on: August 03, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »

Toying with the idea of replacing my V&H power duels is why this question is being posed. Now that everyone has had the chance to put miles on both the coated vs the uncoated do you really notice a difference in heat felt off the pipe? Anyone ever measured the temperature difference?
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Ceramic coated headpipes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »

I can say from testing and using it for years it works, but it may not be what many expect. It still gets hot, not as hot as without but still hot. It takes longer for them to heat up and they cool down quicker but they still get hot when stuck in slow traffic. For me the answer is yes I would do it again and again.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:28:12 PM »

Couldn't tell on way or the other if the heat was any better. But, from day one to 30K plus miles later the pipes still looked good, from one end to the other.
That was the first set. My current coated pipes changed the look after the first couple hundred miles.

My guess is the coating has changed from what was offered 4-5 years ago.

Both sets were coated inside and out, although I do have some doubts about the 2nd set having been coated on the inside.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:46:54 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »

Toying with the idea of replacing my V&H power duels is why this question is being posed. Now that everyone has had the chance to put miles on both the coated vs the uncoated do you really notice a difference in heat felt off the pipe? Anyone ever measured the temperature difference?

Never noticed any difference in heat with my coated head pipe, I think the heat reduction was a result of going catless, and a good tune.
I DID notice that the pipe still looks new except where I scratched them with the heat shield clamps.
Yeah, I'd do it again.
 8)
HOGMIKE

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »

Thank you all. The added life of the coating was something that hadn't crossed my mind but makes the decision much easier.

David

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »

were you going to coat your vance and hines, or buy a new coated pipe?
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:44:07 PM »

David,

'Had the V&H PowerDuals (outside) and the RSD Slip-ons coated (in/out & heat shields) by PolyDyn Coatings. (suggested in my Build Thread) 'Did not test before/after with a thermometer but the perceived heat on the right side is much, much less now.

One of the first comments The 'Ball & Chain" made when she first got on the bike, was how much cooler it seemed and was a lot more comfortable than before (she likes to ride around town in shorts)
I would do it again, except I would probably have the heat shields coated on the inside too...(more has to be better? Right?? LOL) If the bike is ever laid up for any amount of time('hope not :nervous:), I will probably do the heat shields..

Why are you getting rid of the PowerDuals? What are you thinking about going to?

When I was spec'ing the 117 Build, I asked a lot of Builders/Tuners about the PowerDuals (they were installed by the original owner) and everyone of them told me the PDs were good/no tuning problems. The 117 seems to really like the PDs (doesn't seem to be a choke point of any kind) and it sounds great and very comfortable at cruise.

http://www.polydyn.com/headers_and_exhaust.htm

'went with the Titanium

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:46:53 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »

Ed the PD has actually worked well, probably the only part the original owner put on the motor that does work well for the 90% 2up riding in do. What got this started was the exact comment you mentioned from the "Ball and Chain". We were out riding the other afternoon and wife was talking about the heat. She is another shorts rider and was think I could sell her the coating/less heat story and I would have a lot less explaining as to why I wanted to give the 2-1 route a try.

David

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »

Ed the PD has actually worked well, probably the only part the original owner put on the motor that does work well for the 90% 2up riding in do. What got this started was the exact comment you mentioned from the "Ball and Chain". We were out riding the other afternoon and wife was talking about the heat. She is another shorts rider and was think I could sell her the coating/less heat story and I would have a lot less explaining as to why I wanted to give the 2-1 route a try.

David

'Thought about a 2-1 (when we were Building the Switchblade some years back I spoke with some MoCo Engineers in Daytona and Laconia and they all told me that the biggest #s would come from a 2-1, but looks and sound won~ there wasn't as many to choose from then)

To me, since the '09 SERG was the first Factory Bike with the extended bags, and I (personally) can't get past a ghost pipe, I'm sticking with the 2-1-2.

I know the real test would have been to get the 117 dialed in, take readings with a heat gun, have the coating(s) applied, and take the readings again, but as you well know, I was ready to ride...

In the end, I'm glad some of the guys here turned me on to PolyDyn, I'd do it again... 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »

Thanks Ed. I will keep PolyDyn in mind.

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.