Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slip-ons Only?  (Read 2375 times)

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
    • CVO3: FLHXSE 2018 Dark Alloy/Black Denim
Slip-ons Only?
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:19:10 AM »

Firstly, I apologise if I have created this topic when the question has been covered elsewhere. Muffler, A/C & PC/SERT issues have been addressed on several threads and it's easy to miss a point.

I have decided to go for V&H Ovals slip-on mufflers, Full flow A/C and a PC (because warranty is an issue for me). I plan to run the SERK (yet to be delivered) for the first 1K as stock but would prefer to have the bike sounding like a Harley from day one. So the question is; if I fit only the mufflers until the 1K mark would this cause problems?

Thanks guys.

Softail_Al
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 11:20:41 AM by Softail_Al »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Slip-ons Only?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 11:28:55 AM »

Firstly, I apologise if I have created this topic when the question has been covered elsewhere. Muffler, A/C & PC/SERT issues have been addressed on several threads and it's easy to miss a point.

I have decided to go for V&H Ovals slip-on mufflers, Full flow A/C and a PC (because warranty is an issue for me). I plan to run the SERK (yet to be delivered) for the first 1K as stock but would prefer to have the bike sounding like a Harley from day one. So the question is; if I fit only the mufflers until the 1K mark would this cause problems?

Thanks guys.

Softail_Al
Al,

Others have reported that slip-ons alone (no air cleaner change) will be OK, the H-D closed loop system will adjust enough to handle it.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »

Thanks guys.

Softail_Al

From all my reading on this subject, you should be able to do the slips as the system is able to compensate to a point for the extra flow and you're not changing things too dramatically.  You'll still be lean, but with the cool ambient temps you should be fine 'till 1K.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken in my thinking here.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:31:48 PM »

Not sure as each bike is different.  Friend with '06 Autumn Haze SE Ultra really liked the sound of my SE Pro Performance slip-ons I put on my melon.  But he did not want to go to expense (or really care about the performance, can you imagine that!) of installing high flow air cleaner and SERT like I did.

So early this summer he himself installed just the slip-ons and at my recommendation had the dealer inspect his spark plugs after a few hundred miles just to make sure there was not a dangerously lean condition.  Bike ran OK.

Well when weather turned cooler he began having cold start problems.  Bike starts and dies and runs bad when cold.  Techs looked for intake leaks and any other possible problems but could find none.  Yep, they told him the slip-ons were the cause of his problem and he needs a SERT ( or a PCIII, or race fueler, etc).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:32:57 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »

Not sure as each bike is different.  Friend with '06 Autumn Haze SE Ultra really liked the sound of my SE Pro Performance slip-ons I put on my melon.  But he did not want to go to expense (or really care about the performance, can you imagine that!) of installing high flow air cleaner and SERT like I did.

So early this summer he himself installed just the slip-ons and at my recommendation had the dealer inspect his spark plugs after a few hundred miles just to make sure there was not a dangerously lean condition.  Bike ran OK.

Well when weather turned cooler he began having cold start problems.  Bike starts and dies and runs bad when cold.  Techs looked for intake leaks and any other possible problems but could find none.  Yep, they told him the slip-ons were the cause of his problem and he needs a SERT ( or a PCIII, or race fueler, etc).

Jerry...did he try the ECM flash for the SE pipes and A/C?

Also, on the 07's with the sometimes closed loop, the system can adapt better than our 06's could.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »

Thanks guys.

Softail_Al

Al, Why wait to put on the PC? That item alone helps correct the F/A ratio deficiencies in the stock ECM due to EPA. Even if the '07 Closed-loop can make adjustments to keep it running, it will be running as lean if not leaner than stock, which is already designed too lean. Even in bone stock form, I'm believing that the bike needs it to run at better F/A ratios. It probably is also the highest contributor in removing the excess heat for that reason. There's a map set-up for the V&H slip-ons and SE A/C, so you can plug it in, preprogrammed, then get it Dyno-tuned after the 1K mark.

I'm leaning in this direction myself right now, to start off with. I'm thinking of trying the bike, out of the crate, with just slip-ons (S&S SPO's) with the stock headpipes, K&N in stock SE A/C housing, and PCIII USB. I'll see how the heat is and see if I can live with it. Otherwise, I'll put on the TD's at 1K. If I change them, I'll Dyno it before with the slip-ons, then after with the TD's. I'm real curious myself to see the difference there. I don't care about what it makes stock, as we know stock sucks anyway!

Good luck with your bike and Happy Holidays! [smiley=drink.gif] I'm sure you'll get it where you want it! ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 03:33:35 PM »

Hoist - Not sure if you realised, but I'm across the pond and will have the "How's the PC going to deal with the flapper problem" to sort out. Even if this is sorted prior to delivery I thought it may be better to have a few miles on the engine before the Dyno guys take it up to warp speed! You have confirmed what I suspected that it may well run leaner than stock which appears to be at best marginal for comfort.

Off to Orlando & Clearwater on 28th and decided to leave the SERT at the dealers. Have a great holiday.

Softail_Al  

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 03:58:10 PM »

Hoist - Not sure if you realised, but I'm across the pond and will have the "How's the PC going to deal with the flapper problem" to sort out. Even if this is sorted prior to delivery I thought it may be better to have a few miles on the engine before the Dyno guys take it up to warp speed! You have confirmed what I suspected that it may well run leaner than stock which appears to be at best marginal for comfort.

Off to Orlando & Clearwater on 28th and decided to leave the SERT at the dealers. Have a great holiday.

Softail_Al  

I forgot about your Flapper Dilemma Al. I'll try to find out here if the PC addresses that for you guys. Have a great trip across the pond! Hoist!  8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 04:23:43 PM »

Softail_Al  

Uh-oh Al. I just saw this on Fuel-Motos site:

"Additionally, Dynojet products sold outside of the USA do not have a warranty.  Warranty applies only if purchased from an authorized seller within your country. Fuel Moto encourages international buyers to purchase Dynojet products from the official distributor in your country."

If you have Dynojet distributor/dealer in your area you should check with them. Hoist!  8-)

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 06:33:09 PM »

No problem Hoist, we can get them through our local stealer.

Softail_Al

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 21 queries.