Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Study Finds Way More Female Motorcycle Owners Than Ever  (Read 1907 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Study Finds Way More Female Motorcycle Owners Than Ever
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:05:12 AM »

It certainly feels like there are more female motorcycle riders than ever before, but now we have a legit study that confirms as much.

For their latest Motorcycle Ownership Survey, the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) spoke to roughly 48,000 American households. In doing so, the motorcycle industry lobbying group discovered some very interesting and illustrative stats, the most striking of which is that motorcycle ownership among females has been revving up.

Between 2003 and 2014, female motorcycle ownership more than doubled. Females now account for some 14% of the bike-owners in these here United States of America. That’s six full percentage points higher than the 8% of owners represented in 1998.

But MIC’s study isn’t all about stats. It also gets to the very heart of the matter, namely, why do so many female owners ride in the first place? Well, as much to the heart of the matter as a group of pre-determined answers can get to, but their top three reasons were “fun and recreation,” then a “sense of freedom” and finally followed by “enjoy outdoors/nature.”

There’s a whole heap more stats in the survey — the median age for female motorcyclists is between 39- and 48-years-old; some 49% of all female motorcyclists are married; more than 17% of both Gen X and GY owners are women — so head on over to MIC’s press release and check ’em out. Then let us know your thoughts!

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
Re: Study Finds Way More Female Motorcycle Owners Than Ever
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »

For years my dealer (for obvious reasons) and I tried to get my wife interested in having her own bike.  She told us both to stop harassing her (LOL) that she loved being the passenger and enjoying all the sites et al.  Then this fall I told her I was going to start looking at new bikes because of the upgrades on the Rushmore bikes from my 2010 CVO Ultra.  She had turned 50 and from left field said well if you are getting a new bike then I think I would like one as well.  After I got up off the ground I was actually excited for her and the shopping began along with her booking training etc.  This allowed me to finally get the bike I wanted 2016 SG CVO as now I was shopping for my comfort and likes and not our comfort.  Timing was perfect as my dealer had a 2014 Switchback with only 1,000 miles and my 2016 CVO SG.  Going to be different having her behind me on a bike and not in the saddle!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »

Hey Fred,

It will be different for sure, but there's nothing better than having a built-in riding buddy!  My wife was the same way - loving being a passenger enjoying the scenery until one day she thought she had an itch she needed to scratch... We've been riding buddies now for almost 20 years and proud to say that we've ridden OUR bikes in all 10 Provinces and lower 48 States, with more still to ride!

Good luck with your two new bikes and one new rider.

Take care & ride safe!

PS - Here we are a few years ago on US 129 having the time of our lives...
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »

Similar to report in the UK , its fine im ok with this but women want more recognition just because they can now ride   . WTF 
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »

Some women are naturals on a bike, some are not. HD marketing has been targeting women for some time now. They like to dress the part too, of course the spouse has no choice in the matter to have the matching outfit, God Bless them.  :2vrolijk_21:

I'm sure the street glide is garage jewelry to some. And they would show in the new bike sales numbers, try and give a woman a used diamond and see what the response is. I'm guessing that a used bike is comparable.  :nixweiss:

YMMV

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »

My wife road behind me for years and then wanted her own bike. She took the riding class and then got her license. She road for several years but never really got comfortable. She wanted to go back to riding behind me so that is where we are now.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »

Good  for  them!    :2vrolijk_21:     
let's  see  them  put  make-up on  riding a BIKE.    :huepfenlol2:

just  kidding    ;)       Around  here I have noticed the female increase.

most   have  crotch rockets  some  have  Harley's

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »

Mine rode behind me for years.  End of March 2007 she took the MSF course.  April 15 she got an 07 883 low, saying she would still ride behind me some and would not ride as much as I do.  June of 07, we rode to Key West from Knoxville TN area.

In Jan 09 she traded it with just over 23K on it for a 09 Heritage, they were doing the trade for MSRP on the sportster.

She has just over 97K on her heritage.

In Dec 11 she got an 11 Street glide, kept the heritage.

In  Spring of 13 She traded the Street glide for a new one, she had over 46K on the 11.

In Sept 14 she traded the 13 Street glide with 44K on it for her 15 Road Glide Special.

She has just over 32K on her road glide.

So since April of 2007 she has rode just over 242,000 miles.  That averages out to 26,888 miles a year.  She has had a couple 30K plus years.

I'm glad she loves to ride.  She never say a word when I get a new motorcycle, or want motorcycle parts.  She is my riding buddy and will hang with most any guy in the curves. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 22 queries.