Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: P2176 with throttle body issues  (Read 5328 times)

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
P2176 with throttle body issues
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »

My flhxse2 has been giving me some issues. Last Sunday we went for a ride. Made it about 60 miles and no issues. One of the group needed to use a bathroom so we stopped at a Burger King. Got ready to roll out about 20 minutes later. Bike started normal, I pulled edge of parking lot, last bike in a group of 5, went to pull out and bike died. Would crank but no fire. Checked codes and had P1511 andP2176. Cleared codes, and no run. Sent the group on their way and called in a favor for a trailer ride home. Got it home and pulled the air cleaner down. Found the throttle plate was stuck in the bore and would not move. Tapped it with a small wooden dowel and it popped free. Throttle bore was a little dirty so I wiped it out, put the air cleaner on it and took it for a ride. Rode out good, no issues. This Sunday headed out and made it about 100 miles. Stopped for a photo op in the NH mountains. Started bike to put it in position, it started but check engine light on and no throttle. Removed the air cleaner and sure enough plate stuck again!! Tapped it and it popped free, had code p2176, minimum throttle position not learned. Cleared code and it fired and ran ok. Next stop 20 miles down the road, turn ignition on and the throttle body makes a horrendous ratchet type noise that lasts may 2 or 3 seconds, start bike and runs fine, check engine light on, P2176 again. Now every time it sits 10 minutes or more, T body ratchets and set P2176. At one point at stop lights, I could here the T body doing the ratchet noise at idle. It is a HPI 58 mm T body. Have tried different methods of idle relean the I found here and on the web with no change in condition. I have both service manuals and parts manual but no electrical diag manual. I am a car guy and have replaced many T bodies and done relearn with multiple different scan tools, but don't have the luxury of that here. Any suggestions?? I have SE race tuner and cables and software, but let my tuner screw with it, so I have never even put the disc in PC or plugged the cables in. Is there a relearn in the tuner?? Thanks for any advice. :2vrolijk_21:
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: P2176 with throttle body issues
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:16 PM »

No relearn procedure necessary as the ECM does it automatically. It only sets the code when it cannot do it. I would contact HPI about the issue with the throttle body sticking as that is what will cause the issue and the ECM is just reporting it. Sounds to me like the throttle blade is just a little to tight in the bore and it's getting stuck once you turn it off and let it heat soak.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »

Thanks Steve!! Spoke to jimmy at HPI today. He had it diagnosed in seconds. Apparently a plastic gear in the throttle body has stripped 2 teeth. He said it is becoming a common problem. He said harley knows about it and there is rumor of a recall but no information on what model years are affected yet. For those of you that are thinking that how can it be a harley problem, the throttle by wire throttle body that HPI sells uses your electrics and mechanics from your original throttle body. At this point, harley is replacing entire throttle bodies for this problem because the $.50 gear is not available separately. I am gonna send my T body in and he is gonna fix it.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

jacora

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »

krypto2011;
I am having the horrendous ratchet sound from throttle body blade and code P2176, I was suspecting about something wrong with an internal gear and you confirmed.
Finally, How did you fixed?
Please let me know.

Regards;

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.