Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin' EagleĀ® Road GlideĀ®

Disappointed

<< < (3/3)

ultra13:
Gotta agree with CVODON. I used to have a show car in the 80's and you could have anything chromed anywhere for cheap. And I did lol!
Question for Sprintkid...Is that the price you paid for your bike in 2011?

grc:

--- Quote from: deldago on September 10, 2019, 01:40:11 PM ---Probably be cheaper and hold up better having them powder coated.

--- End quote ---

Yup.  No matter which option you choose, the wheels have to be completely stripped of all previous coatings.  Also, aluminum is no easy thing to paint or powder coat, for the same reasons it is hard to plate, so any powder or paint job will require the same meticulous preparation as the chrome plating job.

Jerry

2018_FLTRXSE:
Everything said here is true. The local plater (Honolulu) closed shop over 10 years ago because they became a SIU (Significant Industrial User) to the wastewater industry, discharging heavy metals into the wastewater system. (My field of expertise) Despite my best efforts to help him optimise his process you can only ward off the regulators for so long.

Now, there is spray on chrome products like "Cosmichrome" and the like.. but I've never seen the product in person, but I have seen pictures and it looks pretty nice. and you can make is in different colors, like how people used to spray candy colors over chrome, without the alleged fade.

It takes a special training and application process which I'm sure means it isn't cheap, and like painted surfaces, preparation is everything.

So we aren't done yet, we can still make things shiny if we want them... we just use a different approach.

Now I just need to see if there is someone I can ship my 1970 pontiac bumpers to to do that application process to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version