Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin' EagleĀ® Road GlideĀ®

Disappointed

<< < (2/3) > >>

scottt:

--- Quote from: grc on September 10, 2019, 09:03:57 AM ---Aluminum is a difficult substance to plate compared to steel, due to the reactivity of aluminum.  It can be done well but it takes a much better process and process controls, which you aren't going to get when you base your purchase decisions strictly on price.

Health and safety regulations have affected many industries in the USA, chrome plating is just one of many.  Would we rather go back to the days of toxic rivers with no life forms and air you can see and feel as it destroys your lungs?  I don't think so.  The only reason we don't have much of a chrome plating business left is due to the policies that allowed American companies that enjoyed all the benefits of operating in this country the unfettered ability to outsource their plating to countries with no environmental rules and pay scales reminiscent of the days of lords and serfs.  Lots of dirty jobs were shipped to Mexico, where many factories still have large open ponds of highly toxic waste leeching into the ground and water table.  Thanks to politicians, those companies in the USA were allowed to export the jobs and then import the finished products duty free.  Then the politician who signed the NAFTA bill decided to really help out those American corporations by handing favored nation trading status to China, an even cheaper source than Mexico that had even less environmental regulation.

Btw, Harley is fixing their lousy chrome problem.  They got away with blaming the customers and environment to avoid paying for the bad parts, now they've decided to do more and more blacked out models (no chrome).

JMHO - Jerry

--- End quote ---
Chrome is nice on some parts, not so much on others ( in my opinion  ).

When you chrome metal, you weaken it. Prefer polished aluminum wheels or paint coated. Don't like chrome wheels on cars either.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Sprintkid:
I hear everyone and understand your comments. It just bums  me out that this is happening to my beautiful motorcycle . I worked so hard for it and take such good care of it!
I have a chrome shop in town. I wonder if it will be cost affective to have them rechromed and if their process will have better results?

deldago:
Probably be cheaper and hold up better having them powder coated.

J.D.:
Harley now "flash" chromes the hastelloy.  A proper 3rd party chrome job has copper, nickel, then chrome.

Good luck powder coating over flaking chrome.  Need to be completely stripped of chrome before refinishing.

scottt:

--- Quote from: 2002FXDWG3 on September 10, 2019, 03:42:12 PM ---Harley now "flash" chromes the hastelloy.  A proper 3rd party chrome job has copper, nickel, then chrome.

Good luck powder coating over flaking chrome.  Need to be completely stripped of chrome before refinishing.

--- End quote ---
Your right. Some of the trim appears to be thin chrome over pot metal. Never holds up long term.

In my opinion, i would not re-chrome rims, buy new ones or live with imperfections. Doesn't  really effect function.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version