Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How to get behind the speedometer glass to clean water marks?  (Read 8911 times)

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
How to get behind the speedometer glass to clean water marks?
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:18:25 PM »

Hi guys,

I have some water marks (streaks) behind the speedo glass I want to clean.  2015 CVO Street Glide.  I can only guess it may have happened when washing the bike?
Anyway, I am curious as to what may be involved in removing things to get access to it?

Any help is very appreciated.

~Demetri
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: How to get behind the speedometer glass to clean water marks?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »

It's a known problem, lots of bikes have speedo glass streaking.  My understanding is a coating on the inside of the speedo glass gets condensation on it & then as the droplets dry it streaks.  Not caused by washing the bike.  Only fix I am aware of is to replace the speedo/tach.  It will just do it again, does not appear to be a real fix yet unless I missed something.

An annoying problem, something HD is aware of & to date has done nothing about to permanently fix.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »

Had two sets replaced under warranty on my 2016 and the latest set is starting to do it as well, if you call customer relations they may goodwill a set for you, but will more than likely will do the same thing.
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »

Ugh, well that just blows.  In 2018, you would think they could properly seal a speedo...!   :coolblue: >:(
Thanks for the replies...
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »

If you take the gauge cluster out and inspect it, I think you'll find it is made just like the ones in modern cars and trucks.  Instead of simple screws securing that clear plastic cover (which you could use to remove the cover for cleaning), you'll probably find plastic welds.  It's much cheaper to produce that way.  Not having had one in my hands personally, I'm just guessing that's how they are made.  If the cover/lens actually was removable, I have to believe Harley would have just replaced the covers and not the entire cluster for all those warranty claims they've had for this issue.  Btw, the problem began with the first RushedMore bikes in 2014, and it is still being reported on new bikes now.  So much for responding to customer concerns.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »

If you take the gauge cluster out and inspect it, I think you'll find it is made just like the ones in modern cars and trucks.  Instead of simple screws securing that clear plastic cover (which you could use to remove the cover for cleaning), you'll probably find plastic welds.  It's much cheaper to produce that way.  Not having had one in my hands personally, I'm just guessing that's how they are made.  If the cover/lens actually was removable, I have to believe Harley would have just replaced the covers and not the entire cluster for all those warranty claims they've had for this issue.  Btw, the problem began with the first RushedMore bikes in 2014, and it is still being reported on new bikes now.  So much for responding to customer concerns.

Jerry

So what you're saying Jerry, is that it's a sealed unit?  It can only be replaced?  And if so, since it's a well-documented issue, will they do anything for someone just out of warranty?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »

So what you're saying Jerry, is that it's a sealed unit?  It can only be replaced?  And if so, since it's a well-documented issue, will they do anything for someone just out of warranty?

In my opinion they should do something, but they have never asked me for my opinion.  You should at least ask them, I know they can make what are called goodwill adjustments to pay for out-of-warranty issues.  Some dealers are authorized to make some adjustments, others would have to be approved by a H-D representative.  Ask your dealer, or call H-D.  Btw, until they actually fix the problem at the source, having the cluster replaced is no guarantee the problem won't come back.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »

Had the same problem with mine. Was going to have them replaced under warranty but never got around to it. This year I replaced them with Dakota digital gauges and won't have that problem plus I think they look a lot better.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »

Wrote a letter to the CEO and got a call back from his clone. Was told if they replaced it , it will only leak again as they have no fix. I told him Harley should replace it every time it leaks even out of warranty. I got nowhere. I have purchased 8 Harley's in the past 24 years, 5 of them CVO's and my 2017 will be my last.
Bill

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 07:17:08 PM »

They look great and not a bad price..
Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »

They look great and not a bad price..

Do like the look of those.  But a known, admitted, uncorrectable, and willfully dismissed manufacturing defect isn't a reason to spend another $1000+ on a product.  It's a reason to save that $1000+ in a piggy bank toward the purchase of another manufacturer's product.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 06:13:19 AM »

Do like the look of those.  But a known, admitted, uncorrectable, and willfully dismissed manufacturing defect isn't a reason to spend another $1000+ on a product.  It's a reason to save that $1000+ in a piggy bank toward the purchase of another manufacturer's product.
Well Don, Reading that a few times, I had to chuckle. Dakota gauges are another manufacturer's product. lol
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Cooch366

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 07:15:49 AM »

Do like the look of those.  But a known, admitted, uncorrectable, and willfully dismissed manufacturing defect isn't a reason to spend another $1000+ on a product. 

VERY well said.

But sad that the upper most in management, agrees with and acknowledges the problem, indicates no plan or desire to address the problem and basically says tough luck to those customers with the problem.

VERY VERY sad....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »

VERY well said.

But sad that the upper most in management, agrees with and acknowledges the problem, indicates no plan or desire to address the problem and basically says tough luck to those customers with the problem.

VERY VERY sad....

One of the many reasons I haven't bought a new Harley in a long time.  This is far from being the first instance where they knew they had a problem, they knew it pizzed customers off, and they did nothing.  You might think with the decline in sales these days they would start to embrace the idea of doing whatever it takes to keep existing customers, but IMHO the corporate culture at H-D is still stuck in the 90's, when large numbers of people would tolerate terrible customer service and go back for more. 

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.