Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LOOSE BOOB'S.....  (Read 1951 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
LOOSE BOOB'S.....
« on: July 20, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »

Well that's what my wife calls them, the headlights that is......

While up on the lift, I was cleaning off the bug guts from Saturday's riding and when I hit the left headlight, it moved up and down in the headlight door opening.  I grabbed the right one and it was somewhat loose as well.

I thought there might be some screws on the headlight door to remove it, but no screws.  I know while working as service manage years ago at a GM dealership, they have tons of pop off panels held in with Christmas tree type plugs.

Without a manual at hand, how do I get into the headlights to tighten up the or see if that's the way they should be?

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Thanks.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

bearingman

• CVO1: Silver FLTRSE3
Re: LOOSE BOOB'S.....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »

I am waiting for my service manual, but if this bike is the same as my 05 road glide you'll have to pull the fairing shell to get to the back of the lights.  Removing the fairing isn't bad, but getting it back on is a chore.  There is a specific order of operations involved which if not followed makes is nearly impossible.  I can look the procedure up in my old manual if you need it.
Some days you're the windshield; some days you're the bug.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »

I am waiting for my service manual, but if this bike is the same as my 05 road glide you'll have to pull the fairing shell to get to the back of the lights.  Removing the fairing isn't bad, but getting it back on is a chore.  There is a specific order of operations involved which if not followed makes is nearly impossible.  I can look the procedure up in my old manual if you need it.

I heard someone else mention their wife's helping hands to get it all lined up properly.

If it's not too much trouble, it would be a big help with a little instruction.  I would assume that this is the same procedure for replacing the speakers if needed?

Thanks for the reply.  I was watching the amount of people on this forum (12) the number of views the "LOOSE BOOB'S" heading, and you were view 11 with a reply.  That took all of about 3 minutes...

Thanks again and I'm having a great time bugging all you "experienced" SERG owners.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

desant89

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »

I heard someone else mention their wife's helping hands to get it all lined up properly.

If it's not too much trouble, it would be a big help with a little instruction.  I would assume that this is the same procedure for replacing the speakers if needed?

Thanks for the reply.  I was watching the amount of people on this forum (12) the number of views the "LOOSE BOOB'S" heading, and you were view 11 with a reply.  That took all of about 3 minutes...

Thanks again and I'm having a great time bugging all you "experienced" SERG owners.

I just replaced my speakers last week.  I did see the lights in there, and had to unplug them.  I took the fairing off easily with no manual.  It is a pain to get it back on, but you will manage.  I put the top screw on each side in first.

bearingman

• CVO1: Silver FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »

From the 05 manual: two slots on outer fairing engage hooks on radio bracket.  Inner fairing tabs go outside of outer fairing tabs.  Start with screw outboard of speakers, do both sides first.  next, the screws just outboard of the fuel and volt gages. Next, below the glove box.  The turn signals go on after all the fairing screws are tight.  Get them all started before you tighten any on them, then tighten in the same sequence they were installed in.  Hope this helps.
Some days you're the windshield; some days you're the bug.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »

From the 05 manual: two slots on outer fairing engage hooks on radio bracket.  Inner fairing tabs go outside of outer fairing tabs.  Start with screw outboard of speakers, do both sides first.  next, the screws just outboard of the fuel and volt gages. Next, below the glove box.  The turn signals go on after all the fairing screws are tight.  Get them all started before you tighten any on them, then tighten in the same sequence they were installed in.  Hope this helps.

It will give me a starting point. I'm on my iPhone now so I'll be a bit shorter on my reply.

It sounds quite straight forward. I've had complete late model car dashboards out, so I can probably get through it this help.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »

It will give me a starting point. I'm on my iPhone now so I'll be a bit shorter on my reply.

It sounds quite straight forward. I've had complete late model car dashboards out, so I can probably get through it this help.

Thanks.

The fairing is easy Dan.  Windshield stays on the outer fairing.  Take out the six screws.  Take note as they're not all the same length.  To remove the fairing lift up as you pull forward.  It has to clear some substantial support ears.  Once loose the headlight harness is obvious. 

When you go back on and think you've pushed hard enough to get the outer fairing back over the support ears; push a little harder.  Once in place there then line up the sides and put the screws back in.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:40:18 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28425.0;all

Here you do find a detailed description for the sharknose fairing remove and back-mounting including pictures  :2vrolijk_21:

In one sentence : When you remove the shark nose front just remove the black headlight cover. Then snap out the headlight housing by squeezing the green clips. Hang the outer fairing on the hooks and hookup the headlight wires then snap the headlight housing into fairing. Finish applying screws, turnsignal and black bezel.
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 10:38:01 AM »

I certainly thought mine was a lot easier to put back on with the windshield off.  Maybe I just haven't done it enough times yet but I thought it was much easier to put the windshield back on than fight the fairing when I couldn't see everything--my windshield is tall and black.
Steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »

I certainly thought mine was a lot easier to put back on with the windshield off.  Maybe I just haven't done it enough times yet but I thought it was much easier to put the windshield back on than fight the fairing when I couldn't see everything--my windshield is tall and black.

Windshield attaches to the outer fairing without obstructing the inner.  Other than being a visual obstruction to just worry you the shield will have no effect on mounting or dismounting the outer fairing.  And given how annoying those damned wellnuts can sometimes be I'll leave the damned windshield alone every chance I can.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »

Windshield attaches to the outer fairing without obstructing the inner.  Other than being a visual obstruction to just worry you the shield will have no effect on mounting or dismounting the outer fairing.  And given how annoying those damned wellnuts can sometimes be I'll leave the damned windshield alone every chance I can.

I know all of that but mine is a tall black one and I can't see through it to see how I'm getting everything lined up-plus it makes it a lot more awkward with it on there.  I might try it again with it on and see if I can get along any better as I don't like fighting the well nuts either, but as soon as I removed the windshield I could get the fairing right back on.
Steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 07:39:56 PM »

I know all of that but mine is a tall black one and I can't see through it to see how I'm getting everything lined up-plus it makes it a lot more awkward with it on there.  I might try it again with it on and see if I can get along any better as I don't like fighting the well nuts either, but as soon as I removed the windshield I could get the fairing right back on.

Best advice is always to go with what works when the parts are in your hands :2vrolijk_21: .

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.