Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Current State of the Art on Oil Coolers?  (Read 6080 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Current State of the Art on Oil Coolers?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2020, 10:55:13 AM »

I went with a hybridized solution.

My preference was the UltraCool cooler.  No issue with the Jagg tank but the newest version of the UC tank was as good or better and the UC fan solution impressed me more.  However....

I didn't like that either still cooled the oil without the fans regardless of weather/ambient temperature.  Jagg offered a valve one could manually turn on or off and UC offered a magnetic cover to block air over the cooler.  Really wasn't a huge fan of either solution.  So, me being me, I pieced something together.

The 03-04-05 SERK and SEEG 103 engines had a cooler with an oil filter adapter that had a thermostatic valve in it (probably later engines also but that's what I was familiar with).  It would shut off oil to the cooler when it was below temp.  I had one one of those in my parts spares.   Ordered the UC cooler assy by itself without their filter adapter and used that old Harley filter adapter.  Swapped the stock 1/4 NPT to 3/8 line nipples that were stock on the bottom of the Harley adapter for some 1/4 NPT to 6AN 90 degree fittings and made up AN lines to go from the filter housing to the tank.  Really couldn't have been an easier physical installation and wired the fans to the accessory switch on the Road Glide dash.

Installed this way I've got no cooler in cool weather (as [to me] it should be), regular cooling effect without the fans when the engine gets warm while cruising, and I can turn on the fans in town or when I see the oil temp gauge climb a bit.  Some may prefer a fully automated electrically thermostatic control for the fans and just never have to think about it.  I'll gladly trade occasionally turning on the fans with the illuminated (so I obviously know if on or off) dash accessory switch versus always having oil going through the cooler tank even in cooler weather.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »

Years ago when I installed a cooler on my 07 SG I wanted a few things after seeing issues through the years. Uptube mounted cooler in the wind and out of the path of an oil change and road debris, a thermostat, and AN fittings and hoses, that's hydraulic fittings, not anodized worm screw clamped fittings and braided hose for show. Worked fine and is still on the bike today with over 60k miles. No electrics. My current CVO 110 uses Wards fans and the OEM cooler which I protect on oil changes and have had it off to clean the fins as a maintenance item. At the bottom of the frame they will pick up road debris even when protected on oil changes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »

^^ I never use those cheap aluminum anodized AN bits you buy over the counter and screw together.  Have seen them split, flares that won't seal, enough problems to know not for me.  Local machine shop of a buddy of mine has tooling to make hydraulic lines; even little stuff.  So just went to his place after hours one evening.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 24 queries.