Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: head temp vers oil temp  (Read 955 times)

seadog65

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PE

head temp vers oil temp
« on: June 12, 2020, 08:02:26 PM »

I have a 2011 ultra with new engine 110cu-in 58 tb with thundermax  auto tune   no dyno  cant cross borders   my question  got it working and running well   after wormed up normal temp beside front spark plug 238 degrees  rear spark plug 320 degrees  with dipstick out  infred temp guage oil is about 160 degrees is this normal just curious   have a great day .  it will be over soon   

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: head temp vers oil temp
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 10:18:28 AM »

Not sure that one can correlate head temps to oil temps.

Many of our state auditors frown on infra-red heat guns for recording paint temps ... They demand we use an 'immersion' type thermometer.

Get a cheap thermometer that looks like a turkey thermometer but, with a small dial (about 1 inch or so in diameter).

Check the 'accuracy' using the old truck drivers field-expedient ...

Fill a glass with ice then add water until the ice is just covered and stir. The temp should read right around ~32 degrees or, zero degrees 'up North'.

Put a pot of water on the stove and when it starts to boil it should read ~212 degrees or, 100 up there. (Elevation dependant!)

Now, check your oil temperature.

My 110 motor runs about 200 degrees or so when warmed-up.

Cheers,
Smoketown

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 09:53:04 PM »

Plus one on the oil temperature measurement, use an accurate long conventional thermometer that will read up to 350° F.  Infrared touchless thermometers aren't that good for liquids.  The oil temperature specification from Milwaukee is 230° F at an ambient of 70° F.  Your 160° reading is way low unless you took the reading before the engine reached full operating temperature.  It usually takes at least ten miles of riding to get up to full operating temp in summer, more in winter.  Expect your oil temperatures to be at least 230, and they will go up quickly at higher ambient temperatures and under certain riding conditions.  Stop and go, parade duty, extended idling, etc. will cause your temps to climb rapidly due to the limited airflow over the engine under those conditions.  Running hard for an extended period will also elevate oil temps.  I recommend a good full synthetic oil to handle the temps that can easily reach into the 300+ range.

I'm not sure what the cylinder head temp specs are.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:54:41 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »

I'll stay on topic, but add another question.

In my case I'm going be using an '05 CVO "B" 103" motor as a the power for a new car project coming up this fall.  I will be running a remote oil tank, as "B" motors require, but it will be up and maybe a foot away from the motor.  I also plan on running a Hayden multi-pass oil cooler.

My instrument pack will have an oil temp gauge, but where do I tap into the system for the oil temp sender?  At the motor as the oil exits the motor, or in the line returning to the cooler, or in the oil tank prior to being rerouted back to the motor?  Do I want to know what the temp is of the oil going back to the motor or the temp coming out of the motor?

Thanks and have a great day!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »

Dan, the single most important thing to make sure of is that the sensor is in contact with the oil.  I've seen too many add on (especially home built) kits with a sensor in a fitting and the sensor isn't long enough to be bathed well in oil.  Aside from that I wouldn't get too worried about location in your application.

In some turbocharged thing sure, I'd get picky.  In your case though you're watching for consistency.  You'll be learning (through use) what's normal for your car in whatever installation you do.  Your tell tale will simply be unwanted variations from that learned "normal."

If I could and all the plumbing made it easy I'd probably look for a location that is well bathed on the way to the cooler.  If I'm really curious I'd mount three.  On the way to the cooler, after the cooler and in the sump.  But there's no reason to be that curious. So pick a good well bathed spot.  Learn what its "normal" is there and you're good to go.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »

I would put the temp sensor in the tank. I recently added an oil temp gauge to my bike and I was surprised how long it takes oil temp to stabilize, 30 miles on each ride and was still rising slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.