Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: curious about my '15 110  (Read 1053 times)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
curious about my '15 110
« on: July 20, 2020, 09:35:20 PM »

I recently had the lifters/ push rods replaced on my Street Glide '15  110 with Vance and Hines hydraulic lifters at around 24K miles.  Did just in case of course the stock ones  fail coming up on 25K though the shop guys told me not to worry. 
My question though I've gone on a couple longs hauls with my bike in the back of a toyhauler twice now when I've removed the bike after 4 or 5 hundred mile tow when I first start it the lifters rattle like crazy for a few minutes  then settle down and it seem fine.  Is this something I need t worry about?

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
Re: curious about my '15 110
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:35:25 AM »

You have to remember that when you stop your engine, you going to leave at least one possibly two cylinder head valves open, the valve spring pressure on the push rods and lifters is going to force some of the oil out of the lifter, that means when you restart the engine at least one lifter will be low on oil, meaning there will be slack, thus the rattling noise, and as soon as the oil pressure pumps the lifter up the noise goes away, its normal, but if they take more than 30-60 seconds to pump up, it may be worth further investigation.
WHUFC   COYI

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 08:30:19 AM »

Thanks for the response and information.  I just found it a bit odd since before i replaced them the prior Harley ones never did it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 09:53:59 AM »

Others have mentioned a similar scenario, the common denominator being trailering the bike.  One question; do you leave the trans in gear when you trailer the bike?  That can exacerbate the condition, as the movement of the bike on bumps can cause small movements of the rear wheel/drive belt/primary/crank/cams/lifters.

If you trailered the bike previously using the same method and routes, and the lifters didn't leak down, then you may have some very loosely machined lifters.  Some lifters are designed and built to very tight tolerances and are often called "slow bleed".  Others use much wider clearances and tolerances, leading to excessive bleed down even just sitting in a garage for a few days.  I have no idea who makes the lifters V&H sells.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 10:28:04 AM »

Yes I do usually leave the bike in gear so it won't roll too much back and forth perhaps I will try it without doing that and see the result.  The lifters that Vance sell are private labeled for them and I understood are US made I forget by who but it was one of the reason I purchased them.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 06:27:16 PM »

mine a 16 has been making noise that you explained for the last 35k miles. i have used S&S lifters and have johnson's HL in now... and the stock ones all the same thing. i call it morning tickness. this winter its going to get tore down and hopefully get resolved, will have over 50k on it so should be ready for some love
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.