Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sealing Cylinder to Case  (Read 2240 times)

Dacuda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Atomic Orange CVO Road Glide Custom 117
Sealing Cylinder to Case
« on: August 13, 2020, 11:13:26 AM »

I just pulled the Cylinders because I’m just had head work done, when the shop did the 110-117 upgrade in addition to using the orange o-ring they also used a high temp sealant on the cylinders to the case. Is this a better idea to minimize oil from seeping at the base????

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Sealing Cylinder to Case
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »

Dacuda,

On the flat base gaskets we've been using the copper spray on the gaskets.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »

With orings I am not a fan of using sealant. I have used hylomar or loctite 518 and just metal to metal sucessfully.
That stuff on the spigots looks like permatex.

Dacuda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Atomic Orange CVO Road Glide Custom 117
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »

Thanks Don 👍

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »

There are those that always believe that if belt is good then belt and suspenders must be better.  I prefer to trust the product manufacturer's guidelines (barring some significant product history otherwise).  There ain't none of us that actually know more about the manufacturer's product than the manufacturer and/or OE supplier/builder.  We're told to use the o-rings without other sealants.  So that's what I do.  FWIW.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:41:01 PM by Twolanerider »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 04:53:20 PM »

There are those that always believe that if belt is good then belt and suspenders must be better.  I prefer to trust the product manufacturer's guidelines (barring some significant product history otherwise).  There ain't none of that actually know more about the manufacturer's product than the manufacturer and/or OE supplier/supplier.  We're told to use the o-rings without other sealants.  So that's what I do.  FWIW.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:      Various gasket sealants became popular (and necessary in many cases) back when gaskets were stone age materials and joints were far from precise.  These days, MOST manufacturers provide very accurate sealing surfaces and the various seals and gaskets are made from modern high performance materials.  Barring a screw-up in manufacturing, extra sealants are not necessary and in some cases actually cause problems.  Just because we used to apply adhesive sealants to gaskets in the old days doesn't mean those things are still necessary on modern equipment.  Keep it on the shelf for when you restore some old iron instead.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 11:38:45 AM »

I'm in the process of rebuilding one of my 110s (2010) and set the cylinders last weekend (currently waiting on heads).  Was debating with myself about additional sealant but decided against it, glad I did now.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 11:50:22 AM »

Mine are seeping...again........ESP issue on the latest rebuild...so......gonna get it fixed at the end of the season. For now, the compensator is the issue to be dealt with (this will be the 5th!) Ignoring the seeping for now to try and get the bike in and out of the shop as quickly as possible.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 01:04:54 PM »

Dayne,

I haven’t used it yet, but have been hearing positive feedback on the DarkHorse compensator replacement.   Might be something to consider. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 04:34:05 AM »

I'm no expert but I did my lower "0" ring on the rear cylinder plus some other bits (with help well appreciated help from members  of this site) when it started leaking don't know how or why it started to leak but it did.
When installing I just used a small amount 1100°c  copper grease smeared it around the "0" rings just to help them seat into place rather then being dry when installing the cylinder. Didn't use anything on the gaskets only where  "0" rings are required.
It's been 2 years now and no issues as far as any oil leakage. 
Not too say there's been plenty of other HD issues keeping me on my toes.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »

I was given advise by a respected HD mechanic to put a very small wipe of high temp silicone on the flat surface of case when installing cylinders with o-rings, and around the return oil o-ring as previously mentioned. He actually specified a small wipe on the 3 to 9 o’clock position on the downhill side.

I’m just a parts changer trying to learn myself.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:45:24 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »

I was given advise by a respected HD mechanic to put a very small wipe of high temp silicone on the flat surface of case when installing cylinders with o-rings, and around the return oil o-ring as previously mentioned. He actually specified a small wipe on the 3 to 9 o’clock position on the downhill side.

;) Right on.

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 07:22:59 PM »

Thankyou TN and John
Easy for those who have not experienced small leaks from the O-rings to say no sealant needed
It does occur more often than it should
Just another of HD's shortcomings that has to be addressed

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 06:15:42 AM »

On my 117ci build i didn't use any type of sealant as i have read lots of comments that says no need, while break-in it starts leaking again some says it will stop after a week time.. ok nothing change bike dyno tuned and after one month had to open engine again to fix the issue, new set of gaskets $$ this time used small amount of sealant.. issue solved   
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 07:20:55 PM »

Just looked at mine.....stopped!!!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.