Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Another 114 M8 Bad Oil Pump  (Read 29838 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Another 114 M8 Bad Oil Pump
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »

For what it's worth.  I just purchased a 2017 Ultra Limited and did the stage IV 107 - 114 upgrade before taking delivery.  Shop called to say there was a delay in delivering the bike because HD recalled the oil pump on any stage IV upgrade.  Bike was manufactured in 2/2017.  I guess they are playing it safe. I was glad to hear they did that on an engine with 23 miles on before the SE kit.  Additional options were hi flow exhaust, HD tuner, push rod kit, and SE breather.  Not broken in yet, but has serious balls up to 4K.  Looking forward to cranking on it after the first oil change.
Peace

I don’t understand. If there’s a “delay in delivering the bike because HD recalled the stage 4 oil pump” how did did you ride the bike to determine it “has serious balls up to 4k”? Are you referring to the stock bike before it went in for the stage 4 upgrade?

What is the latest direction from HD on a new design oil pump for your bike?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:08:22 PM by Heatwave »

fmichael

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »

I don’t understand. If there’s a “delay in delivering the bike because HD recalled the stage 4 oil pump” how did did you ride the bike to determine it “has serious balls up to 4k”? Are you referring to the stock bike before it went in for the stage 4 upgrade?

What is the latest direction from HD on a new design oil pump for your bike?

Sorry.  New here.  I guess I wasn't clear.

-The bike is a leftover 2017.  Brand new with 23 miles. Did the deal 10/13/17. 
-Purchased the bike and immediately did the 107 - 114 stage 4 kit before taking delivery on bike.
-2 weeks after doing the deal, prior to picking up the bike there was a delay in finishing the engine upgrade because HD stated the oil pump is a recall item on any stage 4 upgrades.  So the dealer had to wait and get the new pump before finishing the upgrade.
-My understanding from the service manager is that this is something new to him.
-I am glad at least the newest rendition of the most current oil pump will be in the bike from word go. 
-There was nothing wrong with the original 107 motor or oil/pressure/pump.  Apparently this is a precaution on HD's part for performance upgrades.
-Unsure if this policy would apply to the other stage upgrades.

Hope that is clearer.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »

Sorry.  New here.  I guess I wasn't clear.

-The bike is a leftover 2017.  Brand new with 23 miles. Did the deal 10/13/17. 
-Purchased the bike and immediately did the 107 - 114 stage 4 kit before taking delivery on bike.
-2 weeks after doing the deal, prior to picking up the bike there was a delay in finishing the engine upgrade because HD stated the oil pump is a recall item on any stage 4 upgrades.  So the dealer had to wait and get the new pump before finishing the upgrade.
-My understanding from the service manager is that this is something new to him.
-I am glad at least the newest rendition of the most current oil pump will be in the bike from word go. 
-There was nothing wrong with the original 107 motor or oil/pressure/pump.  Apparently this is a precaution on HD's part for performance upgrades.
-Unsure if this policy would apply to the other stage upgrades.

Hope that is clearer.

There’s lots of threads on the issue. I’m on my 3rd engine in a 2017 CVO Limited. First 2 engines had stage 4 upgrades. My current 3rd engine is still stock. hD has been through 5 or 6 versions of oil pumps attempting to resolve sumping issues that have been causing complete engine failures.

Do you have the bike done at this point? Do you have it back with the stage kit and latest new oil pump?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:09:45 AM by Heatwave »

fmichael

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2017, 05:39:07 AM »

There’s lots of threads on the issue. I’m on my 3rd engine in a 2017 CVO Limited. First 2 engines had stage 4 upgrades. My current 3rd engine is still stock. hD has been through 5 or 6 versions of oil pumps attempting to resolve sumping issues that have been causing co plete engine failures.

Do you have the bike done at this point? Do you have it back with the stage kit and latest new oil pump?

I am sorry to hear about your issues with your CVO.  I hope they stand behind it until all the issues are resolved.

I do have the bike.  Has about 400 miles over the past week or two.  Oil pump was replaced with engine upgrade.  P/N 62400182.  Photo of repair order attached.  Engine had 23 miles prior to stage 4 kit upgrade.

Still being careful with taking it past 4K RPM's until around 600-700 miles.  Will change engine oil around 800 I am thinking.  Hoping the first oil isn't too shiney with debris.  After the first oil and filter change I will start seeing what it can do, but thus far the lower end power from 2000-3800 RPM feels strong. 

One thing about the stage 4 that I wasn't expecting is the top end valve train noise.  Engine is a little on the "ticky" side.  Being told that there is nothing that can be done with that as the higher lift cam and performance valve springs are the cause and its the price you pay for the extra power.  Not sure I agree with that.  But perhaps the folks here can chime in. 

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »

I am sorry to hear about your issues with your CVO.  I hope they stand behind it until all the issues are resolved.

I do have the bike.  Has about 400 miles over the past week or two.  Oil pump was replaced with engine upgrade.  P/N 62400182.  Photo of repair order attached.  Engine had 23 miles prior to stage 4 kit upgrade.

Still being careful with taking it past 4K RPM's until around 600-700 miles.  Will change engine oil around 800 I am thinking.  Hoping the first oil isn't too shiney with debris.  After the first oil and filter change I will start seeing what it can do, but thus far the lower end power from 2000-3800 RPM feels strong. 

One thing about the stage 4 that I wasn't expecting is the top end valve train noise.  Engine is a little on the "ticky" side.  Being told that there is nothing that can be done with that as the higher lift cam and performance valve springs are the cause and its the price you pay for the extra power.  Not sure I agree with that.  But perhaps the folks here can chime in. 

Yes the CNC ported heads with higher spring rate plus higher lift cam will be noisier. That’s how you’re building more power. Not much you can do about the ticking but enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:40:56 PM by Heatwave »

Philip

• CVO1: 2017 Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2010 Street Glide
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »

Just had my oil pump relaced due to oil lite coming on at 4500 miles. Dealer didn't mess around with waiting. Fingers crossed this is what corrects the problem.
2017 CVO Street Glide (Current)
2015 CVO Street Glide
2010 CVO Street Glide
2009 Softail Rocker

costablanca

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2018, 06:28:59 PM »

Hi everyone and greetings from Spain!

Just wanted to add my awful experience to the mix.

Last week my March 2017 CVO Street Glide had an engine fail caused by a faulty oil pump too!

I'm in in the first part of a planned 3 month tour of Spain on the bike, and now it is in pieces in a dealer!

The Spanish HD mechanics tell me that they just need to change the oil pump and tappets and it will be fine, but I called the UK dealer where I bought the bike from and he suggested that an engine starved of oil due to a faulty oil pump with have a lot more problems than merely tappets!

This should have been a recall!!!!!!

pcpisano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »

Last week my March 2017 CVO Street Glide had an engine fail caused by a faulty oil pump too!

I'm in in the first part of a planned 3 month tour of Spain on the bike, and now it is in pieces in a dealer!

The Spanish HD mechanics tell me that they just need to change the oil pump and tappets and it will be fine, but I called the UK dealer where I bought the bike from and he suggested that an engine starved of oil due to a faulty oil pump with have a lot more problems than merely tappets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcpisano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune... I recently purchased a 17 Limited (December) hadn’t had any problems, but my riding is limited due to work. Planning a cross country late summer, and have some serious concerns about breakdown due to sumping, poor quality oil pumps, et al... I gotta ask... is there anyone not having sumping problems? Thanks.

mark

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2018, 07:49:18 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune... I recently purchased a 17 Limited (December) hadn’t had any problems, but my riding is limited due to work. Planning a cross country late summer, and have some serious concerns about breakdown due to sumping, poor quality oil pumps, et al... I gotta ask... is there anyone not having sumping problems? Thanks.

I don't think the BMW, Goldwing, Yamaha, or Indian guys are having problems.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »

yup there needs to be a tear down more often than net . these things get vey hot and starved for oil because of sumping.  on the top end and all the oil that can in many case accumulates in the lower end ruins the  complete lower end, as well as the complete motor just depends .   

costablanca

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2018, 07:27:50 AM »

Hola again

Actually it gets worse, turned out that due to the oil pump problems, the whole motor is ruined.

The AD dealer in Alicante did such a bad Job and misdiagnosis, that I told them to stop work, not fix it, and had it collected and taken to the UK where the bike was purchased.

I will keep you posted how it turns out!

Ride carefully everyone!

pcpisano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »

I figured as much, what about Harleys? Are there any Harleys not experiencing any sumping problems? Thanks all.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »

I figured as much, what about Harleys? Are there any Harleys not experiencing any sumping problems? Thanks all.

would have to wonder how many are having the issue, and are not aware of it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2018, 08:30:56 AM »

now DAT'S phuny rat dare....good one, Mark.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.