Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Toy hauler or class c  (Read 7359 times)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
Re: Toy hauler or class c
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 11:24:05 AM »

Ditto That JCZ.....

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »

I have been looking. The price is sticker shock. Our truck will be paid off in a few months which will only leave us with my bike payment. It is nice knowing it will be ours free and clear and just going back to a truck payment is something we need to talk about. I am always looking at trucks and toy haulers just for that dealer that is to good to be true, I know they are out there.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »

Kevin, when buying used, unless you're looking for "certified used" (only a year or two old) then I would look at buying from private party and just look at/for those trucks that's been well maintained (they kept records).  For instance, Ford came out with the 6.7 diesel in 2011.  A good motor and tranny that's still being used in the 2018 models.

Dodge has a motor that's proven however, their transmissions have a history of issues.

The GM product (Chevy/GMC) do not have the load ratings that the Ford and Dodge have.....or at least I've read that on the RV forums.   :nixweiss:

Not sure where you're located but if you're close to a large metropolitan area, go on line to Auto Trader and/or Truck Trader.  Sooner or later you'll find what you're looking for.  Then you can get a better suited toy hauler. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:13:44 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »

I check auot trader once a week, never knew about truck trader till now. I'll check that out too, thanks  :)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 10:26:54 PM »

I check auot trader once a week, never knew about truck trader till now. I'll check that out too, thanks  :)

Might check Craigslist also.

See you in Aug in Sturgis!   :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »

Kind of repeating what has been said above. We researched this back in 2015. We decided we must have a toy hauler so that we can still have our truck to drive on bad weather days. (we have friends with motorhomes that are switching back to this setup just for that reason).  At the time I had a 1/2 ton truck and tried to find a camper that would work. We quickly discovered the features we wanted in a toy hauler / weight, Was not gonna work with a 1/2 ton. We bought a brand new F250 which freed us up to buy the toy hauler we really wanted. We got an Amped 30'. fits 2 baggers, and has all the amenities that my wife required. We even got a party patio and ceiling fan! Being only 30' it still fits in our back yard. Good luck on your search.

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »

This is our set up.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »

I agree with your comment about switching back to a toy hauler so you can have the truck to drive.  And my last 5th wheel was small and I could get in any where with it.  Now we have the big bertha....42' with 5 slide outs and the garage for the bike which makes it really comfortable when it's set up.  However, there are times that I'm not able to get in or even if I can get into a large RV park, the spaces are so close together that it makes it a real challenge trying to get this beast backed in to a hole that makes it feel like I'm trying to thread a needle. 

My point.....pros and cons regarding a Class C vs. a toy hauler but also pros and cons vs. the size of either.  I mean a Super C on with a stacker trailer could be a consideration.... 

https://www.renegaderv.com/renegade-ikon-freightliner-motorhome

But, for us, living full time on the road I think we'll stay with our 5th wheel toy hauler.....

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=111630.0

Either way, you only want to do it once so put plenty of thought into it and ask a lot of questions from actual owners...."what do you like about this model?"   and "if you had it to do over again, what would you like to have included or that you don't use in the model that you have?".

West Coast GTG   

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:44 PM »

We found a couple class c's yesterday at a open house at one of the local rv dealers. We like them and talked about it the rest of the day, weighing the pros and cons of having one. We talked about the toy hauler and truck for days of bad weather. Another thing that kind of concerned me was not being able to see our 7x14 trailer in the mirrors of the class c(since the class c was 8 1/2' wide). Think we might end up going the toy haule route but probably a few years down the road since trucks are soooo expensive. Thanks everyone for the input.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 07:48:18 PM »

probably a few years down the road since trucks are soooo expensive.
Up here in Canada......a loaded duelly diesel Ram is one hundred and f'n five thousand dollars MSRP.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »

MSRP on trucks and more so on RV's is one thing but the actual sale price I've found is they can be bought for 15 to 20% on trucks and 20 to 25% on RV's.  Still even with that they are expensive new!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »

Up here in Canada......a loaded duelly diesel Ram is one hundred and f'n five thousand dollars MSRP.

That is just one reason why we continue to pull our Wells Cargo tandem motorcycle trailer behind our Ram 1500, and rent homes in various places when we are away for an extended period.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »

Hey Griz I realized that as well. By the time I spent the money on the fuel to pull it and the amount for the crazy RV resorts I could stay in a motel!

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »

We stayed in hotels for many, many years.  The difference with an RV is that you don't have to pack and unpack every night. 

It is different, RVing and everybody has their preferences.  On the down side.....I subscribe to an RV Industry news feed (that's directed at the industry and not the consumers/customers).  Every quarter for the past 2 1/2 years the sales have increased and a number of those quarters they've actually broke records over the percentage increase.  That same publication had an article that says that due to more and more people full timing (like we are) plus the increased sales even for the casual camper that RV site availability will be harder to find and that prices will increase across the board.  And........the bigger the RV that you have, the smaller that window of availability is going to get for you.  So..........I have concerns.  :o   But for the here and now.....I'm loving this life style!  :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »

MSRP on trucks and more so on RV's is one thing but the actual sale price I've found is they can be bought for 15 to 20% on trucks and 20 to 25% on RV's.  Still even with that they are expensive new!

If you can get 20% off a 2018 or 2019 450 Super Duty out there - let me know, it will be worth the flight and drive home  :2vrolijk_21:

As to RV's, 30-35% off is considered good. Higher end models, a bit less. But you can negotiate a DRV just about anywhere in the country for at least 30% off MSRP.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.