Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Harley's New LED Headlight--A Mod Not to Do--Dual Beam Illumination  (Read 17170 times)

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Re: Harley's New LED Headlight--A Mod Not to Do--Dual Beam Illumination
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 04:18:05 PM »

When I put mine in I had to gut the old halogen rig first.  It consisted of an in line "ballast" or somethin like it and the one into two from the old plug to the dual halogen.  The LED is only a single plug like the old lamps and when you take the halogen stuff out the old style plug is left.  The garage door opener is wired in front of the one into two halogen wires that's why the splice was necessary.  The shop did the deal because after I put the LED in, the garage door wouldn't work.  I was in the shop when they did it and it wern't a harness or splitter they just tied it in, solder it up and shrink wrapped it up and presto.   :nixweiss:
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »

Harlet offers a Y plug adapter you could use to avoid splicing.

70423-98

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 09:01:43 PM »

70423-98

That's it.  Just a simple H4 plug Y adapter to give you two headlight plugs where you used to have one.  Use the spare to run to the GDO.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »

I was afraid of that?  I haven't had the chance to install my LED's yet.  I know that i had to order a splitter for my bike because I have the dual halogen lamp with separate plugs.  I had to order a 2 into 1 plug harness for the LED set up.  I was hoping that i would not lose the garage door opener as a result?  After all, the original plug and harness remains, this harness connects to the separate high & low beem on the current dual halogen set up and brings it down to a single.  Good information, though, hopefully you are wrong?
Did ya get a chance to install those LED's yet, I'm dyin' to know how ya came out with the "splitter" and all.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »

Nope, dealer still has my bike trying to figure out the Hydralic clutch issue.  I will have it back by the weekend and i will post pictures.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »

Did ya get a chance to install those LED's yet, I'm dyin' to know how ya came out with the "splitter" and all.

Use the Y harness and everything works perfect. All you have left is the 2 empty plugs from the dual halogen headlight.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 11:48:11 AM »

Finally got my bike back from the HD dealer, they finally agreed to install the entire Hydraulic Clutch on my bike.  I installed the LED headlamp and passing lights.....COOL!  They look great and man, what a difference!  I didn't post pictures cuz another guy posted his install and we have the same bike.  Garage door opener works too using the splitter, which by the way was $41 worth of bullchit, how over priced Jeez!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »

I guess it's better to spend the $41 than risk the warranty being voided on he bike because you spliced the wiring harness. I agree it cost at least twice what it's worth.

jeff k

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 06:24:38 PM »

hey crimson slate i just got my bike back my gdo will not work i told the dealer about our problem they called harley  they stated there is a problem with the led having interfernce with signal and do not use this thread to fix your problem. please call me 570 233 5900  so i can fix the problem myself so i can tell harley to hire you to be a engineer thanks jeff

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »

Hey,

I will try and give you a call tomorrow late afternoon.  Did you buy the y splitter and install it correctly?  It's pretty simple, but you need to make sure you have the high beam and low beam to the correct plug.  The directions really aren't very clear, I just played with it until i got it right.  Did your garage door opener work before you installed the LED?  Could you have possibly lost the signal to your garage door opener?  It's pretty simple, and I am really mechanically handicapped.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

jeff k

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »

hey crimson the dealer installed the light when i got it home it did not work tried to relearn signal did not work called dealer last friday told them what you did they called harley still waiting for the dealer to call i will call on monday to order 70423-98 i guess

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »

How did they install it without the splitter? Thats the problem.  They only hooked up the one plug?  You probably don't have high beam and low beam, and if you do, the idiots probably spliced the wire which is why your opener isn't working.  Pull the headlight out, look at how they have it hooked up.  You should have a plug coming from the inside of the fairing with a female end that will fit to your LED, and then two separate plugs for your stock high/low beams.  The Y splitter goes from 2/1 with the single going into the LED, the double side of the Y goes into the the original harness.  My guess is that they rigged it up and that's why its not working.  There is another thread on this, i will try and find it for you, meanwhile check that out and let me know what you find.  You can call me if you want.  734 645-1335
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »

How did they install it without the splitter? Thats the problem.  They only hooked up the one plug?  You probably don't have high beam and low beam, and if you do, the idiots probably spliced the wire which is why your opener isn't working.  Pull the headlight out, look at how they have it hooked up.  You should have a plug coming from the inside of the fairing with a female end that will fit to your LED, and then two separate plugs for your stock high/low beams.  The Y splitter goes from 2/1 with the single going into the LED, the double side of the Y goes into the the original harness.  My guess is that they rigged it up and that's why its not working.  There is another thread on this, i will try and find it for you, meanwhile check that out and let me know what you find.  You can call me if you want.  734 645-1335

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61283.0  This thread? I put mine in myself and with the Y harness the GDO works fine. You have to wonder how some of these mechanics ever got a job.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 08:55:11 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=61283.msg872219#msg872219

Here is the other thread on the LED lights.  One of the guys mentioned splicing the wire and his GDO wouldn't work. I think everyone else used the part and never had any issues.  Let us know after you pull the light out how the HD dealer installed.  My guess, they spliced the wire which would piss me off!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

jeff k

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »

hey guys took my light out only found 1 plug going to led light no jumper wires well i will order the jumper and see if it will work thankyou for the help
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.