Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Part Electrical Question  (Read 932 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Two Part Electrical Question
« on: February 29, 2020, 02:02:17 PM »

I have an '05 Fat Boy 103" CVO "B" motor that I'm going to be using on a new Harley powered cyclecar project.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the alternator puts out around 32 amps or so.  More than enough for a bike, but probably on the low side for a car application.

I plan on running a LARGER AGM battery than a bike would have for those added extras that may take place while idling or running slow rpms.  One such option will be cooling fan(s) for slow speed or stopped city traffic.  They pull quite a few amps just on their own.  I'll also be running more lighting as well as a full complement of gauges and possibly a radio/Bluetooth amp etc.

So my questions are:

First: Regardless of the true amp draw on the alternator, does it matter that the alternator is charging a much larger capacity battery?  My thoughts are probably not, but would like to know thoughts.

Second: I know on my '76 FLH Shovelhead, I purchased I believe a 42 amp alternator setup and it's worked great.  Do they make a 40's to 50's amp alternator upgrade for the '05 "B" motors?

Thanks in advance!

Have a great weekend all... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

J.D.

Re: Two Part Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »

Battery size doesn't matter to the charging system.  A bigger battery will float those high draw situations until the charging system catches up.

IIRC aftermarket (e.g. Accel) makes higher capacity Harley stators.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 06:48:34 PM »

Battery size doesn't matter, it will just take longer to fully charge the larger it is.

Cycle electric makes a 50amp kit for the earlier bikes that works very well. That and a bagger battery should run things fine. I'd suggest using low current draw lighting (LED) to keep the load as low as possible.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 07:25:08 PM »

Jim,

You know off hand if the charging assembly parts from touring inside the primary interchange with Softail?  I know the rotors are the same as have swapped them before when one failed for someone.  The pigtails off the stator are different.  I don't know if the winding itself is physically similar between the two though.  Just never had reason to check.

If they are physically interchangeable another option would be the rotor, stator, and regulator off an 06-08 touring bike.  Would pick up the gain that comes from a three phase charging system like the ceramic magnet Cycle Electric kits have also but I've scored the Harley parts used on eBay for a lot less than the CE kits cost. 

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 08:18:50 PM »

Jim,

You know off hand if the charging assembly parts from touring inside the primary interchange with Softail?  I know the rotors are the same as have swapped them before when one failed for someone.  The pigtails off the stator are different.  I don't know if the winding itself is physically similar between the two though.  Just never had reason to check.

If they are physically interchangeable another option would be the rotor, stator, and regulator off an 06-08 touring bike.  Would pick up the gain that comes from a three phase charging system like the ceramic magnet Cycle Electric kits have also but I've scored the Harley parts used on eBay for a lot less than the CE kits cost.

Pigtails are different, as the voltage regulator connections and physical size /shape differ greatly. Physically I am pretty sure the windings and size of the stator is the same. The exit point for the cables from the stator is the same if I recall correctly so getting an 06 + bagger charging system would be a good option for this project. The only thing I would be sure of is to get the later style rotor without the springcup and the most current comp assembly. That is if he will be using the OE primary drive and transmission.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 09:09:34 PM »

could you wire in one of those super big capacitors that these high powered stereo junkies use?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 09:29:28 PM »

Pigtails are different, as the voltage regulator connections and physical size /shape differ greatly. Physically I am pretty sure the windings and size of the stator is the same. The exit point for the cables from the stator is the same if I recall correctly so getting an 06 + bagger charging system would be a good option for this project. The only thing I would be sure of is to get the later style rotor without the springcup and the most current comp assembly. That is if he will be using the OE primary drive and transmission.

He's got an 05 engine Jim.  So the old style bulletproof comp assembly already.  So he'd need that 06-07-08-ish original flat rotor (wouldn't he?).

I've put that charging system upgrade on a bunch of pre-06 touring bikes.  It's a cheap and easy swap.  The differences in regulator likely wouldn't make any difference as he'll be fabbing something up to mount whatever he uses in the car project anyway.  I just didn't know without seeing them side-by-side if the Softail left side case was any difference for the stator mounting.  If not this might be a cheaper alternative for him that would work as well or better than the CE kits.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 09:33:41 PM »

Thanks guys.

Here's what my motor/trans setup will look like, other than the S&S will be replaced by my '05 CVO 103" "B" motor.  The Morgan Three Wheeler uses this very setup.  Their S&S 1983cc Wedge motor uses the Harley '06 and prior 4-bolt pattern primary.  The adapter as well as the Morgan compensator is predicated on the shorter splined external threaded cranks of pre-'06.  I'm not sure if the crank spline on the later touring is the same as the pre'06 motors.

I will have NO original wiring to have to match up to.  I will be using a 12 circuit hot rod wiring harness for the car project.  The ignition will be the Thunderheart standalone system with it's 8 ignition curves and two different rev limiter settings.

Is the rotor the same for whatever amp stator I might use, or does it need to "match" the stator to become a matched SET?  So if I did go with something that was not Softail, in my instance it makes no difference.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 10:05:06 PM »

Assuming the proprietary primary side cover on the left side of the engine accommodates stock Harley charging system and compensator parts from a 2005 model bike you'd be good to go Dan.   The crank spline stayed the same for the years in question.

The compensator would mount just as it does now.  Rotor would look the same from the outboard side (excepting the script stamped in the outside designating its output capacity).  The hole the stator harness goes through is in the engine case rather than the primary case; so nothing to effect you there.

You'd need the four screws to mount the stator to the engine (length difference if I recall), the stator, a rotor, a regulator, and the little pigtail that plugs in to the DC side of the regulator.  That pigtail would serve as your ground connection for the charging system to the car and your A+ connection to charge the battery.  Just try to mount the regulator somewhere it can catch a little wind.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:08:38 PM by Twolanerider »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 01:32:42 AM »

Don,

What model year touring etc would I look for?

Most late model touring eBay motors are sold minus the alternator, so there should be a few out there if I know what to ask for.

Yes, everything inside the primary side remains the same other than the motor to trans adapter houses a rubber rod type compensator that allows for a bit of wind up like the Harley compensator ramps do.  No oil in this, it runs dry.

Everything is installed the same as in a bike, wires through the block towards the front, or left side now. Also the rectifier will be mounted on such a way as to provide cooling.

Thanks!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 02:50:10 PM »

2006-2008.  After that things get sketchy.  Rotors changed as comp assemblies changed.  Even in the 06-08 vintage you might find parts from a bike that had a compensator upgrade.  You want a rotor that is flat on the outside as in the picture above.  Just like your 05 engine has to begin with or is shown in the picture above. 

The stators are often cheap on eBay.  Dealers pull them for an oil leak where the plug goes through the case.  I get it.  If I've got it out I'd probably want to sell a part too.  You can reinstall with a good dose of Permatex 22072 or other comparable product and you're good to go.  The rotors are available new in the aftermarket as are the regulators for far less than new HD prices.  Good used examples are on eBay regularly also. 

Be careful on the regulators.  To this day there are still examples that show up for sale with date codes that fall within the recall period of bad regulators from a few years ago.  You'll need to order the pigtail new and (probably) the four bolts for the stator.  Take your time shopping a bit and you can likely score the three main parts good used for $200 or so.  Get the part numbers for a 2006 touring bike's charging system parts and you've got your shopping list.  With that you'll have a 50 amp three phase system. 

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 07:13:03 PM »

06 is the last year that will work on the 05 pinion shaft, 07+ the pinion changed with he 96ci engine.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 10:11:50 PM »

06 is the last year that will work on the 05 pinion shaft, 07+ the pinion changed with he 96ci engine.

Dammit sorry about that. 06 only on the rotor Dan.  The rest of the stuff works newer. That's why Jim is smarter than I am.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 09:31:03 AM »

This helps me a lot, thanks guys.

So I'll look for an '06 "A" motor stator and regulator as I will just reuse my rotor.  And yes, the crank splines on my '05 are course compared to the newer fully splined primary comp crank end with internal threads. 

Sorry, the '06 only would be ONLY if I were to get the three parts including the '06 rotor.  But if I chose to reuse my original rotor then anything newer for stator would work, correct?  To get the three phase I should look for stator and regular for around an '08 touring?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 11:32:41 AM »

This helps me a lot, thanks guys.

So I'll look for an '06 "A" motor stator and regulator as I will just reuse my rotor.  And yes, the crank splines on my '05 are course compared to the newer fully splined primary comp crank end with internal threads. 

Sorry, the '06 only would be ONLY if I were to get the three parts including the '06 rotor.  But if I chose to reuse my original rotor then anything newer for stator would work, correct?  To get the three phase I should look for stator and regular for around an '08 touring?

Rotor must be from a 2006 ANd it must be from a 2006 that hasn't had a compensator upgrade done that didn't use one of the newer rotor options.  Regulator and stator from newer.  The part numbers you'll want are as follows:

Rotor: 29943-06
Rotor Screws: 3050 (qty 4)
Stator: 29987-06 (latest Rev is D but prior will work)
Regulator: 74505-06

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.