Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air leak  (Read 1214 times)

Powergod

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2016 Breakout
Air leak
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »

Have added small amounts of air to my rear tire all year, dealer can’t find a leak anyone have this issue?
If you can read this thank a teacher, if it's in English thank a soldier.

mark

Re: Air leak
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »

Have added small amounts of air to my rear tire all year, dealer can’t find a leak anyone have this issue?

I add about a pound, maybe two, every two weeks or so.  Temperature has a lot to do with your air pressure reading too.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:46:22 PM »

How much pressure loss over how much time?  Pressure also changes with temperature, approximately 1 psi per 10 degrees Fahrenheit, so you also need to factor in temperature when making comparisons from one day to the next.

Jerry 

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »

I typically add air every month, 1-2 psig.  If you don't have a nail hole in the tire and are losing more than this, you have to either look at the valve or bead.  It's not uncommon to get a bit of corrosion under the bead.  It will be very obvious if this is the issue when the tire is removed, but occasionally a weeping leak can be detected with soapy water.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »

I had the front tire on my 15 limited leak down and had to add the day I rode it home and add air every couple days. Sometimes it would be down by 15 lbs if I didn't add by the 3rd day.
Dealer didn't find anything, and it still had the soap on the bead that I used, so they put on a new tire.
2 days later same problem.
Local dealer put a new tire and valve assy on.
1 month later a new rim.
It has held air now for over a year.
Maybe a simular thing on yours.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »

I had the front tire on my 15 limited leak down and had to add the day I rode it home and add air every couple days. Sometimes it would be down by 15 lbs if I didn't add by the 3rd day.
Dealer didn't find anything, and it still had the soap on the bead that I used, so they put on a new tire.
2 days later same problem.
Local dealer put a new tire and valve assy on.
1 month later a new rim.
It has held air now for over a year.

Maybe a simular thing on yours.

Probably more common than most would think, especially with aluminum wheels made by the lowest bidder.  Porosity issues with aluminum castings have caused leaks with everything from wheels to engine parts over the years.  Considering the price Harley charges for their CVO wheels, anyone having significant tire pressure loss even after replacing the tire and valve should be aware of this possibility and insist they test and replace the wheel before the warranty expires.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »

I would inflate the tire to 60-70lbs and spray soapy water all over the wheel and start carefully looking for the bubbles, I would start with the tread, then concentrate on the bead then the wheel, Jerry is right with a possible porosity in the wheel, I have seen that on GM and BMW wheels along with a couple of cylinder heads that caused a very hard to find oil leak. 
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.