Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Need upgrade on DIY rear airshocks  (Read 2835 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Need upgrade on DIY rear airshocks
« on: July 03, 2018, 03:59:28 PM »

So have a good wet up with instant up tank and pressure switches. but would like a better shock option than the Monroes. Would really like something that I can control ride height pressure and rebound. But I don't want to throw away the entire system for legands. anyone make a good airshock with rebound? Air only on the rear.

BigLew

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
Re: Need upgrade on DIY rear airshocks
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 05:59:42 AM »

I currently have the instant up (air tank), compressor and pressure switch's from 'Dirty Works' connected to a set of 'Legends' "A" air shocks and am pleased with the adjustment and ride. Originally started with the legends system with their compressor ran with that for 2 years, but their compressor is slow to pump up and I switched over to the dirty works air system and have been using that for the past 2 years.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »

I currently have the instant up (air tank), compressor and pressure switch's from 'Dirty Works' connected to a set of 'Legends' "A" air shocks and am pleased with the adjustment and ride. Originally started with the legends system with their compressor ran with that for 2 years, but their compressor is slow to pump up and I switched over to the dirty works air system and have been using that for the past 2 years.
Same here, old Legends and Dirty Air fast up rear. I think I went a little overkill though using the 1/4 tube. My Legend compressor still worked but as you say waaay to slooooow.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »

I understand that. my problem I cant find anyone that will sell me just the good shocks (with adjustable height pressure and rebound)

BigLew

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »

What is it you don't like about the monroes? Mine handles and rides great. Are you able to adjust the air pressure with the instant-up tank?
I don't use a tank and am able to adjust mu pressure as I want and also have adjustable pressure solenoids for pre-setting.
Without a tank mine will go up in a matter of 10-20 seconds, plenty fast enough for me.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »

The tank allows instant up or down maybe one second each way. Each time you inflate the compressor refills the tank in 3-5 seconds ready for the next time. For my BSR those 10-20 seconds were a harsh hardtail like. Viar 95 and you would be better off than the tiny compressor that comes with the Legends.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 03:56:07 PM »

So have a good wet up with instant up tank and pressure switches. but would like a better shock option than the Monroes. Would really like something that I can control ride height pressure and rebound. But I don't want to throw away the entire system for legands. anyone make a good airshock with rebound? Air only on the rear.

BigLew

Dirty Air aluminum body shocks. I can't say enough good things about them. Leave everything else in place and change out just the shocks.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »

Dirty Air aluminum body shocks. I can't say enough good things about them. Leave everything else in place and change out just the shocks.
Mike are they just air or do they have some rebound affect? Cheap place to buy them?

BigLew

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »

Read the reviews as they mirror my thoughts.

https://dirtyworks-kc.com/products/dirty-air-baller-aluminum-shocks

I believe I get these for around $585 plus the shipping.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »

I have the 9.5/13.75 version.
2023 CVO Road Glide

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »

Read the reviews as they mirror my thoughts.

https://dirtyworks-kc.com/products/dirty-air-baller-aluminum-shocks

I believe I get these for around $585 plus the shipping.
Thanks Mike really would like something that rides better the Monroes are eith to soft and bottom out or to stiff and knock your fillings out. You running a gauge? How did you come up with the low and high range of length? I have the fat bagger swingarm and with the current shocks if I drop them all the way down the tire rubs which is not a concern if you are sitting still but if you loose air its a big deal.

BigLew

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »

Thanks Mike really would like something that rides better the Monroes are eith to soft and bottom out or to stiff and knock your fillings out. You running a gauge? How did you come up with the low and high range of length? I have the fat bagger swingarm and with the current shocks if I drop them all the way down the tire rubs which is not a concern if you are sitting still but if you loose air its a big deal.

BigLew

I am not running a gauge on this bike (because I couldn't figure out where to put one!). I had considered it however I thought I'd see how I do without one. I tend to set the bike close to the middle of the shock travel. With these shocks they ride great at any height. I've drug the fender several times as I had very little air in the shocks. I would say that max inflation is the harshest ride and that isn't terrible.
2023 CVO Road Glide

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »

so are you saying just buy the standard (9.5-13.75)? This is a road glide and about 50% is 2 up with a tour pak. What size line you running? any advantage one vs another. I have the instant up tank.

Mike

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 06:09:26 AM »

I think the difference is that I don't have to let all the air out each time I stop. I use "moment" switched for "air out" and just let it down to a comfortable level and no bottoming out while pumping back up.

I would like to find more info on the dirty air shocks, I don't see anywhere that it states any dampening, compression or rebound. Is there more info for these somewhere?
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »

so are you saying just buy the standard (9.5-13.75)? This is a road glide and about 50% is 2 up with a tour pak. What size line you running? any advantage one vs another. I have the instant up tank.

Mike
I believe Puzzled uses the 13.75 because of his custom low bags and fen der so he can corner better without dragging.9 If you have standard bags you prolly want the 13" for stock height. I see you can do 12 or 12.5 if you are short of leg. I have the old Legends on mine and if I pump them up to much I can barely touch my toes if I forget to drop them when stopped. I did install a gauge but havent had time to mess with much yet.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »

I think that Warlock has asked a couple of very good questions about rebound. One thing I hate about the DIY is letting and out to make the ride softer (maybe one up) and then bottoming out. The legends shocks have a rebound manufactured into them.
The other is figuring out what I need the ride length to be. If I air mine all the way down my fender rubs. I would like to avoid that if I can, just in case I loose air when I'm out and about. how would I measure that low and high number?

BigLew

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »

I'd put the bike up on the table, block the swingarm, lift the center of the bike until the wheel spins, take the measurement from center of the bottom shock hole to center of the top shock hole. That's your magic number. The Dirty Air aluminum shocks can be ordered in different lengths. More than likely the 10" compressed will be what you need.
2023 CVO Road Glide
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 24 queries.