Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: HOG membership benefits dwindling  (Read 6747 times)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
HOG membership benefits dwindling
« on: December 10, 2019, 10:36:07 AM »

received my yearly membership package yesterday, as a lifetime member for about 17 yrs. was disappointed to see that there wasn't a touring handbook with road atlas included. so, I called HOG to inquire about it. was told that they did away with it because so many dealerships were moving & changing that the info would be inaccurate before it reached us, the consumer. another benefit gone. also checked into an "associate lifetime membership for the wife, who has in the past, been a member of lady hogs. it was 300+. WOW. I think I only paid 100-125 for my lifetime.  just a little vent (rant).
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: HOG membership benefits dwindling
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 11:16:37 AM »

HOG is at best a shell of it's former self.  Am a Lifetime member, have not received the package yet but this change is not unexpected.  HD is focused on "new' riders and they have been taking existing customers for granted for more than a few years.  Years ago HOG had regional rallies as well as state rallies that were well planned - depending on which ones you attended.  State rallies are gone & don't know anybody who has traveled to one of the newer regional rallies.  From what I have seen in print regarding these I wouldn't waste my time or money on them.

The Milwaukee 115th National rally in 2018 from what I heard from locals was a real let down as compared to previous events.  Harley is chasing new dollars from new customers & it appears they figure their existing customers have plenty of cash to easily milk.  I think they have lost their way & do not see any return or improvement in that regard. Quit the local chapter last year because I wasn't doing any of the rides plus the rules and endless preaching before rides became too boring to make the following ride worthwhile. Squeezed the fun out of it.

Other than that, I am having a great day. Am taking a nice long ride this afternoon ending at Ye Olde Cigar bar to have a smoke & an icy cold beverage.   :drink:   ;D ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:41:17 AM »

I get it to a degree... but come on man.  A map?  The cost of producing something as outdated as a paper map... easy call.  Bikes have navigation, theres the HD app with suggested rides, ride planning, etc.  If you REALLY want to go old school... stop at your local gas station and pick up a map for $5.

I've had to use the towing benefit twice... MORE than pays for the cost of the membership.

With the HOG membership you automatically get into the HD Museum now...they didn't include that before.  I only got tickets because I purchased a CVO... not because of the HOG membership...not its "free" to get in.

Times and overall needs of the majority change... there will always be things that get eliminated with growth; its a part of advancement.

Imagine if HD was still only producing 50cc engines because "thats tradition"?  I dont know...

Do I think they should raise prices? Absolutely not...particularly if they are cutting benefits... that you have 100% correct!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »

Well,...to be honest let's look at OUR CVO rallies. There's the Maggie Valley (which is strong), and a West Coast one that appears to be dropping off. Used to be we'd get a lot of riders and bikes for the West Coast events, but lately it's been very small numbers. But I get it, folks get older, life changes, money gets tight, and priorities change. Life on life's terms, can't do anything about that.

So it's not surprising HOG has had a fall off too.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 12:21:00 PM »

It would have been nice if H-D did a survey of all HOG members to see what benefits were still useful to it's members.
I know I may be in a minority but I find the map books useful not only on a bike but in other vehicles and can also be used to teach the grandkids geography on a larger scale then on a small screen.
Again being in a minority I don't have a smart phone and don't want one. I also know many models of Harleys don't have built in GPS systems. It is also harder to find full service gas stations that are open and carry a full selection of maps. Maybe some convenience stores still sell them? Otherwise I guess we would need to order maps in advance off of the internet.......
I for one would use a map more often then admission to a museum half way across the nation from where I live. But I also understand that we are individuals with various wants and needs etc.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »

It would have been nice if H-D did a survey of all HOG members to see what benefits were still useful to it's members.
I know I may be in a minority but I find the map books useful not only on a bike but in other vehicles and can also be used to teach the grandkids geography on a larger scale then on a small screen.
Again being in a minority I don't have a smart phone and don't want one. I also know many models of Harleys don't have built in GPS systems. It is also harder to find full service gas stations that are open and carry a full selection of maps. Maybe some convenience stores still sell them? Otherwise I guess we would need to order maps in advance off of the internet.......
I for one would use a map more often then admission to a museum half way across the nation from where I live. But I also understand that we are individuals with various wants and needs etc.
Are you referring to the Hog handbook with all the state maps in it? It also has a section of every H-D dealership in the USA and Canada? I bought a CVO this past July and HOG sent me one, It’s the 2019 Edition touring handbook atlas.... I’m asking because you are welcome to have mine if you are interested? Give me your address and it will be in the mail tomorrow.. Free of charge.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »

I know I may be in a minority but I find the map books useful not only on a bike but in other vehicles and can also be used to teach the grand kids geography on a larger scale then on a small screen.I for one would use a map more often then admission to a museum half way across the nation from where I live.

I have found the best source for updated printed maps and map books is AAA.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »

Thank you for the offer scotman623,
That is the book I was referring too and I have one from my own membership packet that they send each year. But it may be the last one for anyone and will be a part of history..... ;D

Thanks for the info Ironhorse but with my luck I would pay to join AAA and they will stop with printed maps as well and want me to buy a smart phone so they can send me info by phone apps ......(tough to be a dinosaur now in modern times I guess?)   :huepfenlol2:

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »

that stinks, no more touring hand book. I use mine all time and they get beat up fast. sending you a PM scotman623, i would really be grateful if you would send that to me   
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »

All the old guys and gals I knew for years at H.O.G. corporate are retired or downsized.  Tours are outsourced.  State rallies eliminated and regional rallies ain't all that special from what I hear.  And no more ABCs of touring which we really enjoyed and enticed many, many local chapter members to participate in.  Great excuse to get out and ride to places you've never been . . . and probably would not want to go back to, lol.

I miss the 'good ole days' but they're gone forever.  Nothing lasts.  Just glad I could enjoy it in its heyday.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 08:26:38 PM »

All the old guys and gals I knew for years at H.O.G. corporate are retired or downsized.  Tours are outsourced.  State rallies eliminated and regional rallies ain't all that special from what I hear.  And no more ABCs of touring which we really enjoyed and enticed many, many local chapter members to participate in.  Great excuse to get out and ride to places you've never been . . . and probably would not want to go back to, lol.

I miss the 'good ole days' but they're gone forever.  Nothing lasts.  Just glad I could enjoy it in its heyday.

I did the life membership a very very long time ago.  This is probably wrong but my recollection is that the cost was $95.  Started losing interest when the state rallies became such cookie cutter affairs.  Then hadn't really paid attention for a long time.  Had no idea the ABCs thing was discontinued or that the state rallies were completely gone.  Must be hard to build brotherhood around an annual pin coming in the mail and roadside assistance.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »

I am not at all suprised they did away with the Map Book, I was amazed that the technical folks on this site actually used this book vs a electronic one. I personally do not know of anyone who does not own a mobile phone without internet access. Waze & Google maps are just so NICE. To each his own but to put together and send out a book that only has basic maps just seems to be a waste of money to me. So I agree HOG is going away, I did not renew this year, I had been a 20 year member and we honestly do not miss it. For those that keep it for the towing, well all of the major insurance companies I know of now offer tow & labor you can add to your policy for a nominal amount and they will take the bike where you want.

mark

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »

Printed maps, much like phone books and calendars, are outdated and most likely thrown away upon receipt.  The bean counters are going to balk at spending thousands of dollars to send out something so outdated.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 07:57:26 AM »

Printed maps, much like phone books and calendars, are outdated and most likely thrown away upon receipt.  The bean counters are going to balk at spending thousands of dollars to send out something so outdated.

How about this - it is SMART to discontinue something that is SOOOO outdated.  A map, in today’s world is a FRICKEN Dinosaur...     it is STUPID to keep doing something that does not keep up with the times.

Businesses would GO OUT OF BUSINESS, if all they did was THE SAME OLD THING.   AND jobs would be 100% gone.   

Evolve, don’t be.  Curmudgeon...

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »

Evolve, don’t be.  Curmudgeon...

I don't use printed maps. Have not used one in years.

But I did evolve.  To be a curmudgeon.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 08:28:06 AM »

I'm a life member,  I have not got my package yet, nor has my wife got her's and she is also a life member.

The book with the maps and dealers, I will not miss as I have never used mine, map is to small for me to use.  My wife always uses hers though.

The Changes to ABC of touring is something neither of us like.  We both did the ABC's of touring when it was states, cities, counties and so on and had lots of fun with it.

We also miss the State Rally's, the regional just don't seem as nice.

We do have a good and active HOG chapter, it has some rides tailored to new or less experienced riders, and then some tailored to experienced riders.  The rides labeled for experienced are lots of fun, if your experienced but if your not, you will not keep up.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 08:33:22 AM »

:)
I don't use printed maps. Have not used one in years.

But I did evolve.  To be a curmudgeon.

:oops:

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »

I guess I must not be evolving either. I still use my cell phone to make and receive voice calls. I turn my lights on and off with a switch on the wall. My garage is to park my vehicles in each day, not store all my junk I think I might need 10 years from now. I drive my vehicles myself, do not want a car driving me around.

Guilty as charged.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »

In a world that touts "One Or The Other", I think there's room for both maps and GPS. I like GPS while moving. But I prefer maps when planning. As a matter of fact a map is ideal when planning the days route over breakfast. Everyone at the table can see the overview and have an idea of the route.

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »

When I was a HOG member, the only thing I actually used was the touring handbook.  I have a copy (2015) in the office, one at home (2009) and one in Cochise (2012).  GPS in the truck, car and on the bike.  It's handy but I don't use it on trips...yet.  I like a map in my hands.  It's much easier to draw on the map/handbook in pencil "mapping" the routes than trying to draw on the vehicle screen... :huepfenlol2: Plus as Mark stated, a folding map makes it easier to show everyone at the table the end of day destination and route to achieve it.  I guess that makes me old school, too...nuttin wrong wid dat... ;D

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »

:)

:oops:

8)  S'ok.  Curmudgeons are contrarians.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »

well, as a retired OTR driver, I always keep a road atlas around to look ahead before starting out. just a good sense of direction. I would always keep my new edition of the handbook & pass my old one off to someone who didn't have a membership (brother, friend ,etc). I'll hang on to the 2019 version, it's just convenient & easy to pack on the bike. My point was, that H-D is just taking another benefit from us, the consumer, as they take us for granted (jmho). just as all the other "LITTLE" things. (gold key for CVO , bag liners,bike cover,etc) to some they mean nothing, to others it means a lot. I just feel they keep taking & the stick is getting shorter & shorter. ya keep tuning the banjo string a lil tighter & sooner or later it's gonna break( & ya gotta start all over). enough. just made an observation, that's all. MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2019, 06:33:37 AM »

received my yearly membership package yesterday, as a lifetime member for about 17 yrs. was disappointed to see that there wasn't a touring handbook with road atlas included. so, I called HOG to inquire about it. was told that they did away with it because so many dealerships were moving & changing that the info would be inaccurate before it reached us, the consumer. another benefit gone. also checked into an "associate lifetime membership for the wife, who has in the past, been a member of lady hogs. it was 300+. WOW. I think I only paid 100-125 for my lifetime.  just a little vent (rant).
I was a member since 1991 and had a blast at a lot of events ,rallies back then and then the people at hog meetings/ events started to become such whiners and political about everything ,especially the newbies. All the state rallies changed to where nothing was provided, lackluster participation and rampant cellphone usage where nobody conversed. I gave up on hog 3 years ago as it seems to be a whole lot of nothing. It needs new leadership,funding from mother harley to survive. My 2 cents.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2019, 07:29:29 AM »

I guess I must not be evolving either. I still use my cell phone to make and receive voice calls. I turn my lights on and off with a switch on the wall. My garage is to park my vehicles in each day, not store all my junk I think I might need 10 years from now. I drive my vehicles myself, do not want a car driving me around.

Guilty as charged.
Cell Phone?...…..I miss my payphone that used to be on the corner :-* :nixweiss:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 07:57:02 AM »

Cell Phone?...…..I miss my payphone that used to be on the corner :-* :nixweiss:

Yep. When I was working I knew the best pay phones in each area I worked.  On cold or rainy days knew where the drive up pay phones were. Used a lot of hotel lobby pay phones & in airports like Atlanta would go gate to gate to find the better pay phones or the less noisy ones.

That evolved into finding the best places for a cell phone signal.  Now most populated areas have decent signals. On the subject of cell phones - HOG still offers an 18% discount on AT&T cell phone service.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »

After running through our 2 complamentry years (16' & 17') of membership even people like us (not being legacy HD people) could not justify the cost relative to benefits, hell we had to ride recently to a rally in Mexico just to see how rallies use to be!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »

Yep. When I was working I knew the best pay phones in each area I worked.  On cold or rainy days knew where the drive up pay phones were. Used a lot of hotel lobby pay phones & in airports like Atlanta would go gate to gate to find the better pay phones or the less noisy ones.

That evolved into finding the best places for a cell phone signal.  Now most populated areas have decent signals. On the subject of cell phones - HOG still offers an 18% discount on AT&T cell phone service.
One of the few things I like about HOG now... My cellphone discount every month, let’s hope they don’t take that away, it basically pays for my HOG membership per year, like getting it for free and then some...

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »

Glad I read this thread. I forgot about the 18% ATT discount.  But you have to renew it each year with ATT and I haven't done that in two years.  I also enjoy the Touring handbook.  It's easy to see a state at at glance, something I can't do with my phone or my GPS.  It helps when choosing routes through the state.  I have also used the Harley dealer location info many times and don't agree with the "changing locations in the city" reason for stopping it. 
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »

Don't think we Canadians get most of the perks that you do in the US.....but...I am sure we pay more!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
HOG Benefits reduced again
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »

First-Hand news from HOG Office today.

I realize that not all CVO Owners Group members are HOG members, but most likely a good number are, and many are Life members.

My wife & I just received are HOG package with patches and pins for 2020 and a little taken back by another reduction in our benefits... Although we did receive what they call "Harley Owners Group Guide to Riding" (cover shown below), the one thing missing was our annual Harley Tour Book with maps of all 10 Canadian Provinces and all 50 US States, that I'm sure you're all use to receiving as well.

Apparently it was decided last year that 2019 would be the final year for the annual Tour Book.  I realize in this day & age that GPS on your bike and on your phone is extremely popular, but I admit that I am "old school" and enjoy taking my Tour Book along on trips because undoubtedly a local along the way will give me some great advise to change my course so that I do not miss the local "must see" site or adventure.  Therefore I enjoy every night going over my Tour Book to plan my next day's route and I find it much easier to change on the fly by quickly reviewing the paper maps in my Tour Book, and let the road lead me where it will.

I have complained to HOG about this omission of a great riding tool, but unless there are many doing the same, I'm sure your 2019 Tour Book will be the last of them, unfortunately.

Enjoy yourselves on the road and be safe out there.  For us northerners it will be a couple of months before we can hit the road again, but that just gives us more time to plan our trips this year!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:37:01 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2020, 08:27:15 AM »

Yep, my wife and I noticed we did not get our touring book.  Thought is was a mistake when mine came with out one, but hers came two days later with out one also.  It's much bother me as the map print is too hard for me to read.  On the other hand my wife was very upset.  She uses her touring book all the time. 

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 10:17:16 AM »

in OP I had also called HOG to see if they just forgot to include one in my packet. that's when I was informed of their decision. I noted my complaint as well (for whatever that's worth). also a life time member.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »

Like I mentioned, if enough complain about the loss and not much to replace it, possibly it will return next year.

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »

Like I mentioned, if enough complain about the loss and not much to replace it, possibly it will return next year.

I also called and complained back in December when I got my package. I was told I wasn't the first to complain about this. Also told maybe if enough called and complained, that maybe it would be brought back next year. Probably won't be brought back, but at least worth a try.
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2020, 06:08:35 PM »

Okay, then let's spread the word and see if our voices are heard. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2020, 07:22:40 AM »

in OP I had also called HOG to see if they just forgot to include one in my packet. that's when I was informed of their decision. I noted my complaint as well (for whatever that's worth). also a life time member.
Well then, my wife and I will each call and complain as we are both life members.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 12:01:35 AM »

Okay, then let's spread the word and see if our voices are heard.

Done.

I also am old school and love using the Tour Book. I even carry a magnifying glass, lol. With almost 220 000 KM on my 2011 I use the Tour Book just as mush as my GPS which was installed the day I got my scoot.
What also bothers me is that when I agreed and paid to become a life member I agreed to what was offered at the time. Should we all at least get grandfathered and continue getting what we agreed to when we paid to become life members?

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »

Here in Europe , the touring hand book is gone for years.
I'm a life members since 1983 and all the advantages from the early years are now gone.
Fly & Ride , life members breakfast at Hog Rallies , Annual and Regional Hog Rallies and the Touring Hand Book.
Very sad...

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »

Some of you know me and I likely have more printed maps than most anyone.  From 42 of the DeLorme State Atlas, Butler Maps, as well as the ever reliable Rand-McNally and AAA state maps.  All get used to some degree in planning or execution, but I still carried the Touring Handbook in my Tour-Pak.  Handy for emergencies and when I needed to know a dealers phone number. 

Really hated when they ended the ABC's, but adjusted.  Personally I don't think that they (HOG) has a clue about what their mission is supposed to really be about.  I really believe HOG was one of H-D smartest moves upon inception as it gave folks a reason to ride and kept motorcycles from wasting away sitting in the garage.  You could find folks that rode the same way you do with the same interests and then move on, some moved sooner than others.       

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2020, 06:56:09 AM »

My wife and I both hated the change to the ABC program.  She also ride and we would have fun doing that together and with others.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2020, 07:57:38 AM »

Some bean counter in the past determined that HOG should be a profit center, instead of a partially company funded loyalty program.  So far can see how well that decision is going. 

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2020, 11:52:37 AM »

The only beans Harley gets from me now-a-days is for the deductible on the ESP.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2020, 06:34:53 PM »

Several mentioned they had contacted HOG but I didn't see where anyone had posted contact info for them, so here it is....

HARLEY OWNERS GROUP
To contact the Harley Owners Group directly, please write:
National H.O.G. Office,
P.O. Box 453,
Milwaukee, WI 53201
To speak to a Member Relations Representative, please call 1-800-258-2464 (CLUBHOG). Representatives are available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CST and Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST.

I recently received my renewal packet w/o the map. Like many have mentioned I barely used mine (even less now that I'm riding less... thought I'd get that said before the "peanut gallery" mentioned it :D) but did keep it in my saddlebag. I do understand that most that do a lot of distance riding/touring have GPS' but it was nice to have a backup just in case. I also would take the last years touring  book and keep it in my car for when I was travelling and would want to visit a dealership I would use it to find one.

For those w/newer bikes that have the Boom Box Infotainment does it come w/the dealers loaded and how often is that updated? Heck, if they provided a smaller book w/dealer info would be nice since most have GPS' now.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

92fxsts

• Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2020, 09:02:41 PM »

Several mentioned they had contacted HOG but I didn't see where anyone had posted contact info for them, so here it is....

HARLEY OWNERS GROUP
To contact the Harley Owners Group directly, please write:
National H.O.G. Office,
P.O. Box 453,
Milwaukee, WI 53201
To speak to a Member Relations Representative, please call 1-800-258-2464 (CLUBHOG). Representatives are available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CST and Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST.

I recently received my renewal packet w/o the map. Like many have mentioned I barely used mine (even less now that I'm riding less... thought I'd get that said before the "peanut gallery" mentioned it :D) but did keep it in my saddlebag. I do understand that most that do a lot of distance riding/touring have GPS' but it was nice to have a backup just in case. I also would take the last years touring  book and keep it in my car for when I was travelling and would want to visit a dealership I would use it to find one.

For those w/newer bikes that have the Boom Box Infotainment does it come w/the dealers loaded and how often is that updated? Heck, if they provided a smaller book w/dealer info would be nice since most have GPS' now.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

When I plan a trip I usually start with Google maps for the general route, check out the HOG road atlas for stealers along the route (or nearby) and then use a GPS to get me on the way.  I will miss the atlas.

As for the dealer database, it is not 100% accurate as many others have attested.  It is not updated very often.  And unlike the other files it is not dated when it is updated, so you have to guess if it is a new file.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 25 queries.