Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Changing Primary Chaincase Lubricant  (Read 7811 times)

ultrarider123

Re: Changing Primary Chaincase Lubricant
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:07 PM »

That picture is before I drained it.

You can tell it's before, that fluid is DIRTY and ready for a change.  The reference line helps but you can also measure what comes out in the drain.  I removed my primary case this last change (long story.....) and put the 45oz back in.  It did touch but I didn't remember it being that high.  Did you take the picture with the bike completely upright or is that on the jiffy stand?  Measure what drains out and go from there.

MGCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »

It was strait up. I did not measure what came out because all the fluids went into the same pan. I will have to open it up and look and see what it looks like when it is cold. Do you think there is a difference in the oil level when hot /cold?

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 01:43:32 PM »

Should not see a large difference in level hot or cold in the primary.  A bit different than checking the motor oil.  I have to say your before pic seems to be a bit over.  But hey, if you drained it and put the 38oz back in, you should be good to go no matter what the amount was prior to the change.... :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »

It was strait up. I did not measure what came out because all the fluids went into the same pan. I will have to open it up and look and see what it looks like when it is cold. Do you think there is a difference in the oil level when hot /cold?

Yes, the fluid expands with temperature.  And for those who don't think the primary oil gets very hot, all I can say is don't let it run down your arm when you drain it, and don't rest your bare leg against the primary cover after a ride.  You will be rapidly convinced of the error in your thinking.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »

Yes, the fluid expands with temperature.  And for those who don't think the primary oil gets very hot, all I can say is don't let it run down your arm when you drain it, and don't rest your bare leg against the primary cover after a ride.  You will be rapidly convinced of the error in your thinking.

Jerry

Jerry is correct.  Hot oil ain't fun (even when it's suppose to be...)

As for my comment on the level for hot/cold fluid, MG, I didn't mean to let on there was no difference, just not a huge difference....

harleyflo

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 06:56:29 PM »

Had that problem last week.Heres were i filled mine up to.At 38oz i had like 1/3 a liter to much.

MGCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »

This past weekend I drained the primary fluid and it was over full by 1 oz. I put back 38oz and the level looked a lot lower. I don’t know if the level was so high because it was HOT! or if 1oz makes that much of a difference. I should have checked the level while it was cold. :oops:

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »

Any of you that have been following the compensator issues over the past couple of years will know , the reason HD now state 38ozs instead of the usual 32 was a desperate attempt to slow down the compensators destroying themselves because the primary reason for this was "Lack of Lubrication at the center of the unit.

Please see compensaver.com for all the info you will need.
WHUFC   COYI

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »

Any of you that have been following the compensator issues over the past couple of years will know , the reason HD now state 38ozs instead of the usual 32 was a desperate attempt to slow down the compensators destroying themselves because the primary reason for this was "Lack of Lubrication at the center of the unit.

Please see compensaver.com for all the info you will need.

Actually the specified amount has been 38/45 since the new style primary and Cruise Drive trans were introduced, before all those failures became evident.  The bikes with the older style primaries and the five speed transmissions took 32 ounces.  With both versions, the fluid level is supposed to be up to the bottom of the clutch spring.  It just takes a little more fluid to reach that level on the late model design. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.