Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: H/D Road Tech Radio for a Road King  (Read 6245 times)

Skippy620

H/D Road Tech Radio for a Road King
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:04:59 PM »

Has anyone tried one of the HD Road Tech Radio's on a Road King ?
Love my Road King but I'd like some tune's to go with it.
HD's unit looks good but didn't know how well it performed
Looking for some user input and spec's on the system
Any help or advice would be appreciated
Thanks

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
Re: H/D Road Tech Radio for a Road King
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:29:12 PM »

Skippy, Have not used the Road Tech, but the hand control looks pretty cool from the pics.  I recently installed the 2 Wheel Tunes set-up on my 07 SERK and I love it.  I did a custom install because I didn't like the look of the ipod on the handlebars.  It could be louder at 70 MPH but for anything less it is great.  I like the look of the 2WT speakers much better than any other I found.

If you decide to consider and want to see pics just let me know.

DD
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »

Hey BlueFlames, welcome to the site. Nice jumping in to answer a member's question as your first post! The folks here will be happy to help you too! You might want to introduce yourself on the New Members thread and say hi. Enjoy the site! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

mandm1

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »

Skippy, Have not used the Road Tech, but the hand control looks pretty cool from the pics.  I recently installed the 2 Wheel Tunes set-up on my 07 SERK and I love it.  I did a custom install because I didn't like the look of the ipod on the handlebars.  It could be louder at 70 MPH but for anything less it is great.  I like the look of the 2WT speakers much better than any other I found.

If you decide to consider and want to see pics just let me know.

DD

BlueFlames,

I would really appreciate it if you could post some pictures of your setup. I'm thinking of going the 2WT route on my '07 SERK, as well. How did you mount your iPod and speakers??

Thanks in advance,
Mike

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 05:19:24 PM »

Mike,

Happy to (try to)  post the pictures.  This will be my first time, if they don't show up send me your email and I will be happy to email them to you.

After doing a 5 day tour for my honeymoon last October around the Grand Canyon on a rented Dresser, I decided that I had to have tunes on my new SERK.

I really didn't want to do anything to change the way the bike looked.  I could stand the way the 2wt speakers looked but hated the look of the mount and ipod on the handlebars.  I wanted to mount the ipod somewhere hidden.  I ended up finding a very small Ipod remote, about the size of a postage stamp at my local Best Buy.  It cost around $40.  It will turn the ipod on/off, pause, play, skip & volume.  In addition it makes the Ipod an AM/FM receiver as well, which is cool.

I could only find the remote in white so I colored it black with permanent marker.  It is much less noticeable in person than in the picture.  99% of people would never notice it clipped on the strap.  I mounted the Ipod in the saddlebag with velcro.  I usually clip the remote on the strap as in the pictures, but it has a pretty long cord and on a long trip I clip it on my or my wifes clothing to be easier to reach.   It works great and with a little practice you remember all the buttons so you don't have to look.  Would be a little difficult to use with heavy gloves on, but I think the trade off is worth it.

I used chrome braided wrap I bought off the internet to cover the black wires from the speaker to where it goes into the handlebars.

Sound from the system is great.  It starts to distort at higher volume levels, but it depemds a lot on the songs.  Most sound good until about 70 MPH.   I record all of them onto my ipod at maximum resolution (Apple LossLess format) which allows louder volume without distortion, but cuts down the number of songs you can store on your ipod by about 75%.  If you don't have one yet (mine was stolen 2 weeks ago) buy one with as much memory as you can.  I replaced my 8MB Nano with a 30MB Video Ipod.  It is larger, but in the saddlebag it makes no difference.  I had already used up all of my 8MB of space with about 200 songs.

Let me know if you hve any questions.  Hope this helps!

Doug

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 05:20:10 PM »

Speakers again

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »

Ipod in saddlebag. 

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 05:22:21 PM »

Ipod remote (pardon the dust....) I was just about to clean it when I took the pics.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 05:43:01 PM »

Ipod remote (pardon the dust....) I was just about to clean it when I took the pics.
Blue,
Welcome to the site...good info there.  One question I have since you switched to the IPOD with the 30 gb internal hard drive, do you get any noticeable skip in the music when you go over any rough roads?  That's always been a concern of mine putting any type of internal hard drive device on a motorcyle...
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 05:50:48 PM »

Blue,
Welcome to the site...good info there.  One question I have since you switched to the IPOD with the 30 gb internal hard drive, do you get any noticeable skip in the music when you go over any rough roads?  That's always been a concern of mine putting any type of internal hard drive device on a motorcyle...
Red

Red,

Good question.........  The video IPOD is brand new (since the theft of the Nano) and hasn't been on the road yet.  If it skips it will be my daughters birthday present and back to the Nano I will go.  Since you now have me worried, when I get home I am going to put the headphones on and bang it around some to see what happens.  I will let you know the result.

Doug

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 06:09:58 PM »

Red,

Good question.........  The video IPOD is brand new (since the theft of the Nano) and hasn't been on the road yet.  If it skips it will be my daughters birthday present and back to the Nano I will go.  Since you now have me worried, when I get home I am going to put the headphones on and bang it around some to see what happens.  I will let you know the result.
Doug
Blue,
Be careful when you test it.  If the read heads are the active mode (same as write heads), as in reading the data (playing music), and the jolt is hard enough, it can cause the heads to "crash" into the platter, causing irreversible damage and basically rendering the hard drive a warranty replacement issue.  I'm not sure how much jerking around they can take.  I would assume they can handle normal like on a joggers arm or in their pocket, but not sure about severe knocks...so be careful.   8)
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 06:41:20 PM »

Blue,
Be careful when you test it.  If the read heads are the active mode (same as write heads), as in reading the data (playing music), and the jolt is hard enough, it can cause the heads to "crash" into the platter, causing irreversible damage and basically rendering the hard drive a warranty replacement issue.  I'm not sure how much jerking around they can take.  I would assume they can handle normal like on a joggers arm or in their pocket, but not sure about severe knocks...so be careful.   8)
Red

Red,

I just banged it around pretty good with no skips at all. I think it will be fine.  If it gets knocked any harder than that while on my bike I will have a lot more to worry about than skips or even an Ipod.........

Thanks for the info though, I just assumed it was flash memory like the Nano.  If I have any issues with it I will be sure to post to let folks know.

Doug

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »

Red,
I just banged it around pretty good with no skips at all. I think it will be fine.  If it gets knocked any harder than that while on my bike I will have a lot more to worry about than skips or even an Ipod.........
Thanks for the info though, I just assumed it was flash memory like the Nano.  If I have any issues with it I will be sure to post to let folks know.
Doug
Doug,
Thanks for the report.  Sounds like they have the hard drive set up for shocks then...that's great.  I was looking at the 30 gb IPOD today at COSTCO, but shied away from it for that reason...let us know how it handles the road test.  Thanks.
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.