Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio  (Read 20853 times)

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:40:24 PM »

I am really not impressed with the Boom! Stage I audio in my 16 RGU.  Thinking of adding the Stage II, with the new speakers and additional amp for the rear.  Not doing the saddlebag speakers.  Anyone done it?  Not interested in other brand upgrades, really just want the plug and play. 
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
Re: Upgrade 2016 CVO RGU to Boom! Stage II Audio
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »

I am really not impressed with the Boom! Stage I audio in my 16 RGU.  Thinking of adding the Stage II, with the new speakers and additional amp for the rear.  Not doing the saddlebag speakers.  Anyone done it?  Not interested in other brand upgrades, really just want the plug and play.
I've the same BOOM! Stage I setup on my 15 RGU and after waiting out the many reported bugs in the Stage II upgrade placed my order as follows:
  • Boom! Audio Amplifier-76000277A (installs under the Tourpak - powers rear speakers)
    Boom! Audio Stage II 6.5” Road Glide Fairing Speakers-76000594A
    Boom! Audio Stage II 6.5” Tour-Pak & Trike Body Speakers-76000526A
    Boom! Audio Stage II Tour-Pak Speaker Installation Kit-76000585
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER INTERCONNECT   69200714
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER JUMPER   69200489
A forum member from New Jersey has successfully performed the upgrade and is reportedly quite pleased with the results. He will be helping me avoid pitfalls with my installation which I should complete sometime in the next month. Assuming you'll perform the installation, per motor1, the keys to success appear to be that you must complete the installation prior to the dealer flashing and making sure the radio doesn't come on prior to getting the bike to the Harley dealer for flashing the Infotainment System with the correct ".bin" file. This is accomplished by turning off the radio prior to shutting down the bike just prior to the installation. Apparently this didn't work properly prior to the latest Infotainment update v1.20.1 flashing and the radio automatically turning on caused numerous blown speaker/amp problems.

Being a home theater aficionado, I recognize the advantages of "bi-amping" and, as the Stage II upgrade is the only audio solution I'm aware of using this method, I am most curious to hear if those advantages translate effectively into the (noisy) world of motorcycle audio.
Dennis
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »

That is the exact same parts list I ordered last night.  Good to know about the flash issue, I will be sure to turn it off.  Please post after your upgrade and we can compare notes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:04:46 PM by Maczter »
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:17:07 PM »

if you dont mind me asking ... what is the cost of this project
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »

I mis-ordered the front speakers, so they credited me and charged me for the new ones.  I buy from surdyke.com, they have 20% off everyday and no taxes + usually free shipping over $150.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »

I just did the J&M Rokker RRX system upgrade for my 2014 FLHTK. It is plug and play. You keep the stock radio and just change the amp and speakers. Very impressed with the system and the ease of changing everything over. Your radio will need to be reflashed though. I had J&M do it but I believe the stealer can do it as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »

I just did the J&M Rokker RRX system upgrade for my 2014 FLHTK. It is plug and play. You keep the stock radio and just change the amp and speakers. Very impressed with the system and the ease of changing everything over. Your radio will need to be reflashed though. I had J&M do it but I believe the stealer can do it as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG do you mind me asking the price of that project any specs on amp/speakers thnx

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »

I looked at the J&M Website, and for my 16 CVO, it's $1800 + a $75.00 flash fee for the radio which you have to send to them BEFORE you upgrade.  It does have more power than the Boom! II, and actually looks easier to install since it is only using a single amp.  But...is $600 more.

billy421

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 Limited
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »

I've the same BOOM! Stage I setup on my 15 RGU and after waiting out the many reported bugs in the Stage II upgrade placed my order as follows:
  • Boom! Audio Amplifier-76000277A (installs under the Tourpak - powers rear speakers)
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER INTERCONNECT   69200714
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER JUMPER   69200489
A forum member from New Jersey has successfully performed the upgrade and is reportedly quite pleased with the results. He will be helping me avoid pitfalls with my installation which I should complete sometime in the next month. Assuming you'll perform the installation, per motor1, the keys to success appear to be that you must complete the installation prior to the dealer flashing and making sure the radio doesn't come on prior to getting the bike to the Harley dealer for flashing the Infotainment System with the correct ".bin" file. This is accomplished by turning off the radio prior to shutting down the bike just prior to the installation. Apparently this didn't work properly prior to the latest Infotainment update v1.20.1 flashing and the radio automatically turning on caused numerous blown speaker/amp problems.

Being a home theater aficionado, I recognize the advantages of "bi-amping" and, as the Stage II upgrade is the only audio solution I'm aware of using this method, I am most curious to hear if those advantages translate effectively into the (noisy) world of motorcycle audio.
Dennis

billy421

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 09:56:33 PM »

THERE IS NO TOUR PAK AMP AFTER THE YEAR 2013 AVAILABLE

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »

THERE IS NO TOUR PAK AMP AFTER THE YEAR 2013 AVAILABLE

According to the HD site, this one fits all the way up to '17s.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/boom%21-audio-amplifier-pa-08-76000277a--1

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »

I have a boom stage II here at the shop with the second amp installed under the tour pack.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

I have a boom stage II here at the shop with the second amp installed under the tour pack.

Mind if I ask how does it sound?

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 03:58:33 PM »

Actually it has never been quite right.  It has had several speakers replaced along with both amps.  It was kind of a test unit for the local Harley dealership here.  At least that's what we say to ourselves.  The 2015 trike next to it sounds better for the base and at normal volume, but doesn't get as loud.  If it was to happen again, I think Biketronics and Focal speakers would be the way to go.  You might want to talk to UltranutZ about it.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »

Actually it has never been quite right.  It has had several speakers replaced along with both amps.  It was kind of a test unit for the local Harley dealership here.  At least that's what we say to ourselves.  The 2015 trike next to it sounds better for the base and at normal volume, but doesn't get as loud.  If it was to happen again, I think Biketronics and Focal speakers would be the way to go.  You might want to talk to UltranutZ about it.

I was reading reviews on the HD website last night, and many were not good, but some were.  One was very detailed on how he got the best sound.

"I have been installing car audio for 20 years. I wanted a system that was fully covered under warranty and did not want to pull apart a brand new CVO Road Glide...or switch out the NICE GPS and NICE BIG Screen on the bike. I decided to install the Stage II Speakers...fronts and rear tour pack...added the second amp (under tour pack) and the system sounds great! It already had the Stage I (Stage I speakers and one amp in the fairing)...now I have two amps and the upgraded speakers. The system works great...I am NOT having an "Clipping" issues or any issues with the amp "Turning off". I did some research and you NEED TO MAKE SURE THE DEALERSHIP flashes and installs the system as noted by HD. Now all my speakers and amps are fully covered and under warranty. YOU MUST ALSO ADJUST THE BASS AND TREBLE...at higher volumes...the bass is too much and it distorts (would make any 6 inch speaker distort...a 6 inch is not a subwoofer). My Bass is four below half....and my treble is at the half mark. The fader is set to one forward (one mark to the fairing speakers). I have noticed the rear speakers put out a lot more bass...then they distort. To correct the issue...fade "one" mark forward...issue corrected. The system sounds awesome. I am very pleased."

So after flash, I am going to try this.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 08:48:55 PM »

I was reading reviews on the HD website last night, and many were not good, but some were.  One was very detailed on how he got the best sound.

"I have been installing car audio for 20 years. I wanted a system that was fully covered under warranty and did not want to pull apart a brand new CVO Road Glide...or switch out the NICE GPS and NICE BIG Screen on the bike. I decided to install the Stage II Speakers...fronts and rear tour pack...added the second amp (under tour pack) and the system sounds great! It already had the Stage I (Stage I speakers and one amp in the fairing)...now I have two amps and the upgraded speakers. The system works great...I am NOT having an "Clipping" issues or any issues with the amp "Turning off". I did some research and you NEED TO MAKE SURE THE DEALERSHIP flashes and installs the system as noted by HD. Now all my speakers and amps are fully covered and under warranty. YOU MUST ALSO ADJUST THE BASS AND TREBLE...at higher volumes...the bass is too much and it distorts (would make any 6 inch speaker distort...a 6 inch is not a subwoofer). My Bass is four below half....and my treble is at the half mark. The fader is set to one forward (one mark to the fairing speakers). I have noticed the rear speakers put out a lot more bass...then they distort. To correct the issue...fade "one" mark forward...issue corrected. The system sounds awesome. I am very pleased."

So after flash, I am going to try this.
Mac, is this going to be a winter project? I'd like to hear it next spring. Would be nice to meet up somewhere between us for lunch.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »

OBB,

That is definitely doable.  Canton is what, three hrs from me?  We could meet somewhere like Mansfield. I was debating putting the bike in storage for the winter, but my garage is big enough to keep it home.  Got the email today that my parts were shipped, so if I am lucky, it may be done in the next couple of weeks.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »

OBB,

That is definitely doable.  Canton is what, three hrs from me?  We could meet somewhere like Mansfield. I was debating putting the bike in storage for the winter, but my garage is big enough to keep it home.  Got the email today that my parts were shipped, so if I am lucky, it may be done in the next couple of weeks.
Mansfield is doable. Straight across 30 for me. A little over an hour. We'll see if you get it done yet this fall and we have a day before the salt hits the road to meet up.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 11:03:03 PM »

im interested in doing mine so waiting to hear your thoughts, also have you considered the lower fairing speakers? i cant seem to find two people with the same answer on that install... only stage 2... need a 3rd amp ???? thnx

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:02 PM »

Considered...yes.  Aside from maybe some high end, since the radiators are in there, I don't know what I would really gain.  Same with the saddlebag speakers, and while they would have more bass, I really like having my packing room for touring.  Plus by adding those, you have to upgrade the charging system.  I liked my Boom! upgrade I did on my '08 Ultra, 4 speakers and tour pack amp, it was decent, but still lacked bass even with the tour pack ports.  I don't want a ground shaker, but a little thump would be nice.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 03:29:00 PM »

HD has lower fairing speaker kit now...for the rush more w/rads they appear to be stage 2 speaker

billy421

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 11:37:51 PM »

yes the amp is available, but there is no mounting kit after the year 2013

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 11:56:32 PM »

taking my bike in on the 14th to Street Noyz in San Diego who do the best cleanest instals on MC's I personally have ever seen. Will do Focal EC 165 K in lowers, ES 165 KX2 in fairing, ARC 600 series amp in fairing, Arc Moto 692 in lids with Fosgate amp in spot where current amp sits.
Cant wait!!
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 11:57:33 PM »

taking my bike in on the 14th to Street Noyz in San Diego who do the best cleanest instals on MC's I personally have ever seen. Will do Focal EC 165 K in lowers, ES 165 KX2 in fairing, ARC 600 series amp in fairing, Arc Moto 692 in lids with Fosgate amp in spot where current amp sits.
Cant wait!!
Didn't mean to jack this thread, sorry!
Alan

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 04:50:49 PM »

No prb. Been looking into the ark/focal set up also

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »

yes the amp is available, but there is no mounting kit after the year 2013

Billy...I am sitting here at my desk looking at HD part #76000585, amp install kit for '14+, Stage II, rear.  I have it in my lap, so it does exist for the '14 ups.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 11:18:28 PM »

Billy...I am sitting here at my desk looking at HD part #76000585, amp install kit for '14+, Stage II, rear.  I have it in my lap, so it does exist for the '14 ups.
In the bag or under the tour pack?

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 11:28:12 PM »

In the bag or under the tour pack?

Under the tour pack.  It looks virtually identical to the one I had on my 08 Ultra, connector wise and such.  I can snap a pic if it will help anyone.  It's basically a fairly substantial harness and a small bag of hardware and mounting items.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »

Under the tour pack.  It looks virtually identical to the one I had on my 08 Ultra, connector wise and such.  I can snap a pic if it will help anyone.  It's basically a fairly substantial harness and a small bag of hardware and mounting items.
Had one on my '11 and was wondering if it was the same setup.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »

Had one on my '11 and was wondering if it was the same setup.

Thought I would go ahead and post the pic anyway.

billy421

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 07:18:54 PM »

According to the HD site, this one fits all the way up to '17s.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/boom%21-audio-amplifier-pa-08-76000277a--1

that is the amp alone, it fits in the saddlwbags or under fairing, not under tour pak, there is no install kit

thanks

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »

that is the amp alone, it fits in the saddlwbags or under fairing, not under tour pak, there is no install kit

thanks
Instructions clearly show that it does indeed go UNDER the TP like the earlier models. https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/62470

A simple search of the part number showed that.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  OBB.  I have the install kit in my office, it clearly shows the same thing!

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »

Will update this thread as soon as my rear speakers come in and I get them installed, they are backordered until the 8th of Dec.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 11:59:33 PM »

The Harley stuff isn't good at any level.  Get the arc 600W and some good focals and call it a day.  Pet at soundz can help. . . Stuart

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 12:28:58 AM »

The Harley stuff isn't good at any level.  Get the arc 600W and some good focals and call it a day.  Pet at soundz can help. . . Stuart
Bike at the shop as we speak getting exactly that..
Alan

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »

You guys seemed to have missed the point of the original post.  I AM using the Boom! II, as I wanted plug and play.  I am doing the work myself, except for the flashing.  I did not want to get into the cutting and splicing, and I have heard VERY mixed reviews on aftermarket integration with the Boom! head unit.  The KISS principle for me!  Not knocking those who have gone another route, but it's not for me.

shore

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 10:23:36 AM »

I have a '16 cvo sg with the BoomII. I had to replace the Nav unit and ended up with a new '17 SG Nav unit. I'm wondering on this reflash. Should I have the radio reflashed prior to hooking up the Boom amp and speakers?

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »

According to what I am reading, yes.  Unless...your radio has the ability to be turned off and WILL NOT turn back on when the bike is started.  The flash allows that to happen.  But since your's is a '17, might want to ping the dealer.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »

Damn Mac. Snow's on the ground, salt's on the roads. I guess I'll get to hear yours next spring. :-\

shore

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »

According to what I am reading, yes.  Unless...your radio has the ability to be turned off and WILL NOT turn back on when the bike is started.  The flash allows that to happen.  But since your's is a '17, might want to ping the dealer.

Curious on that. I have the bike almost completely apart right now. Frame and engine and wiring intact. I did try and initialize the unit and only got the radio. How do I turn it off to stay off...or should I say, how do i attempt to do this? The amp and speakers are all out of the bike.

From what I have learned, the dealers knowledge on the radios units, outside of usb flashing, is pretty limited. I don't have much faith in that route but I will ask.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »

Curious on that. I have the bike almost completely apart right now. Frame and engine and wiring intact. I did try and initialize the unit and only got the radio. How do I turn it off to stay off...or should I say, how do i attempt to do this? The amp and speakers are all out of the bike.

From what I have learned, the dealers knowledge on the radios units, outside of usb flashing, is pretty limited. I don't have much faith in that route but I will ask.
Hold the Mute button for 3 seconds to power down the radio.

shore

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »

ok I'll give that try.

I did talk to my buddy, he's the service manager at HD here in Daytona. He said he could do the flash and change what needed to be done. he didn't seem to think it would be a problem to turn the radio on prior to doing it.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 11:30:28 PM »

OK, I finally had the time and drive to get this project started.  First, let me say, whatever Harley charges for this install probably is not enough.  This upgrade is NOT for the faint of heart.  I consider myself a pretty good mechanic, but this one is giving me fits.

The instructions SUCK.  The way they state things, is not exactly how it goes.  Too much detail to go into here, just read the instructions for the task you are doing and at least two or three ahead.  They sometimes give details that help.

I have been tinkering for 4-5 hours, and only have the amp mounted, and the rear speakers installed.

Issue 1:  Unpin connector from new harness to install in speaker housing.  OK...but how do you unpin it?  After at least an hour online, I found out it is a 2-pin Delphi Weather Pack connector.  There is a rear clip that must be pried off, then you have to have a tool to unpin it.  What tool?  Good question.  I used one in a huge kit I bought a while back that is for GM, was a two needle like prong one.  Note which one goes in what side, because the striped wire in the left goes in A, and then the stripe goes in B on the right.

Issue 2:  Instruction say to mount the rails on the amplifier before installing.  When done this way, there is no way to maneuver it around the mounting bolts, which you have to remove the tour pack to install.  I took off the left bracket, installed the amp using the right, and was able to install the left while the amp was in place on the bike.

Issue 3:  Instructions call for you to drill an additional 1 freakin' inch hole in the pods for the new wires.  I did not have a bit that large, so I made a 3/8" hole and used a different grommet.  Way overkill in my opinion.

Issue 4:  If I ever meet the Harley engineer who designed this, I am going to smack him/her in the mouth.  You have to replace the rubber nutserts in the speaker pods with new ones.  They go in from the rear.  They have a raised edge similar to a grommet, and DO NOT go in all that easy.  So what does any experienced person do, use a little WD-40.  Went in super easy, thus creating another issue.  Because they went in easy, the push back out even easier.  When you are trying to start all four screws, even the slightest off-center touch pushed them back out.  I must have removed the right speaker four times to put ones back in.  No WD-40 used on the left, but my fingers are paying for it.

Issue 5:  The wiring routing diagram and descriptions are not written for the below average brick like me.  I finally took a break, and will resume tomorrow.  Will post more then.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 11:31:57 PM »

ok I'll give that try.

I did talk to my buddy, he's the service manager at HD here in Daytona. He said he could do the flash and change what needed to be done. he didn't seem to think it would be a problem to turn the radio on prior to doing it.

The instructions EXPLICITLY state that immediate speaker damage will occur if you turn on the system BEFORE flashing it with the new code.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »

Hey Mac .......finally got around to the BOOM! Audio Stage II install in my newly heated garage ......and after a few mistakes thinking I may have this "wired". It helped that I invested in a 2015 Touring Service Manual and the 2015 FLTRUSE Supplement Manual:
OK, I finally had the time and drive to get this project started.  First, let me say, whatever Harley charges for this install probably is not enough.  This upgrade is NOT for the faint of heart.  I consider myself a pretty good mechanic, but this one is giving me fits.

The instructions SUCK.  The way they state things, is not exactly how it goes.  Too much detail to go into here, just read the instructions for the task you are doing and at least two or three ahead.  They sometimes give details that help. Agreed ....instructions probably written by an engineer who cannot conceptualize the reader doesn't understand what he/she knows LOL.
I have been tinkering for 4-5 hours, and only have the amp mounted, and the rear speakers installed. It really does help to read ALL of the instructions and NOT to assume you've got it. I discovered things like the "A" designation on a connector means "pin" and a "B" designation means "socket". I was also so focused at the wiring at the tourpak/seat screw area where the 69200714 interconnect harness installs that I could not "locate the black, four-way Molex connector [296A] near the back of the underseat area" (per instructions). It took me the next day to realize [296A] was behind the battery area in front of the backrest support bracket ::)!!

Issue 1:  Unpin connector from new harness to install in speaker housing.  OK...but how do you unpin it?  After at least an hour online, I found out it is a 2-pin Delphi Weather Pack connector.  There is a rear clip that must be pried off, then you have to have a tool to unpin it.  What tool?  Good question.  I used one in a huge kit I bought a while back that is for GM, was a two needle like prong one.  Note which one goes in what side, because the striped wire in the left goes in A, and then the stripe goes in B on the right. Don't know why instructions advised unpinning speaker connectors because they fit through the 1" hole we are supposed to drill :nixweiss:

Issue 2:  Instruction say to mount the rails on the amplifier before installing.  When done this way, there is no way to maneuver it around the mounting bolts, which you have to remove the tour pack to install. I took off the left bracket, installed the amp using the right, and was able to install the left while the amp was in place on the bike. In fairness, instructions dated 2016-02-06 do warn: "NOTE: If the amplifier is installed before the Tour-Pak is mounted, it is not possible to secure the Tour-Pak"

Issue 3:  Instructions call for you to drill an additional 1 freakin' inch hole in the pods for the new wires.  I did not have a bit that large, so I made a 3/8" hole and used a different grommet.  Way overkill in my opinion. Yeah ......I wondered why such a large hole was spec'd. Only reason I could see was to pass the new speaker connector through .....but then why "de-pin" the connector :nixweiss:?? I purchased a "step drill" ($50) as advised "to prevent damage to the speaker pod covering" .......but that didn't work correctly. I had to use an X-acto blade and 1" diameter template to cut the vinyl hole prior to drilling ::)

Issue 4:  If I ever meet the Harley engineer who designed this, I am going to smack him/her in the mouth.  You have to replace the rubber nutserts in the speaker pods with new ones.  They go in from the rear.  They have a raised edge similar to a grommet, and DO NOT go in all that easy.  So what does any experienced person do, use a little WD-40.  Went in super easy, thus creating another issue.  Because they went in easy, the push back out even easier.  When you are trying to start all four screws, even the slightest off-center touch pushed them back out.  I must have removed the right speaker four times to put ones back in.  No WD-40 used on the left, but my fingers are paying for it. HAHAHA ......I used spit on the more difficult ones and discovered the same thing you did. Then tightening the screws became difficult as the rubber nutserts would spin :'(

Issue 5:  The wiring routing diagram and descriptions are not written for the below average brick like me. I feel the same Mac :-X I finally took a break, and will resume tomorrow.  Will post more then.
Except for running the 69200489 jumper harness to the front fairing and connect to 313, I'm almost done. Aside from trouble understanding the instructions, one of the more difficult tasks was the DATA LINK CONNECTOR (DLC) RELOCATION. This was probably the primary reason for removing the battery and electrical caddy and involved "de-pinning" the original equipment [91A] connector. A word of warning: be certain to record the locations of the wires within the connector so you may replace them in the correct locations when you re-pin later. Two of the wires, W/BK and W/BN, appear to be identical. The BN (brown stripe) is so dark it looked just like the BK (black stripe). The Service Manuals really helped. You'll need a small hook to remove the green pin retainer prior to pulling the pins out to the socket (I used a corkscrew on my Swiss Army knife). Pictures are worth a thousand words .........I'll post a few photos which should help:
UPDATE: See revised Tourpak wiring connection photo posted 2/4/2017 :-[
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:26:41 PM by TRIGGER-MAN »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »

A photo of the "step drill" bit for the 1" holes in the Tour-Pak speaker boxes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:35:57 PM by TRIGGER-MAN »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »

Another photo of the step drill bit
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2017, 03:21:12 PM »

Does anyone know how to post multiple photos within one response? I'VE REMOVED THE PHOTO PREVIOUSLY HERE AS IT IS NOT CORRECT :-[.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:41:10 AM by TRIGGER-MAN »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2017, 03:23:22 PM »

More photos
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »

Does anyone know how to post multiple photos within one response?
You can only attach one file/photo to a post. Those posts that you have seen w/multiple pictures are using the image tag linking to pictures hosted somewhere else on the internet.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »

Another photo. Remember to record the serial numbers of your amplifiers. This is required when you take the bike in for flashing.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »

Location of [296A]
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2017, 03:30:59 PM »

[296A] connected to harness [296B]
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »

Bundle wires carefully
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »

Thanks Fired00d ;D
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »

Trigger-man, sent you a PM.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2017, 01:15:36 PM »

SUCCESS ;D!! The BOOM! Audio Stage II is correctly installed in my 2015 FLTRUSE and appears to be functioning as advertised. While I haven't experienced it at high speeds yet (still too cold) ........the system sounds wonderfully powerful around town. I completed the installation (in my heated garage ;)) then brought the bike to Grand Junction H-D to have the radio flashed along with having my 15k service done. As a precaution, I even removed the radio fuse to avoid blown speakers .......HAHAHAHA :-X. Stood there aghast watching the tech connect his Digital Technician laptop, turn the radio on and promptly blow one of the Tourpak speakers :o!!! Actually we didn't discover the blown speaker until days later because the Digital Technician software wasn't seeing the system correctly and it just wouldn't function.

The next day their Lead Tech came in off vacation and through trial and error discovered I had missed a connection. Per the sometimes vague MOCO instructions, I'd left the 4 pin socket of the Speaker Interconnect Harness (69200714) unconnected. Turns out this 4 pin socket (female) needs to connect to (male) connector #10 [297A] of the Tourpak Amplifier Harness (see photo). In at least one of the MOCO instruction documents this 4 pin socket was referred to as "unused" .......and another document instructs the installer to "cap off this unused 4 pin connector" >:(! In attempting to find out what was wrong, the tech took everything apart and checked every connection ....fortunately I'd installed everything else correctly. When they reassembled everything they even installed the Rear Speaker Jumper Harness (69200489) neatly inside the wire trough under the gas tank :) (I'd zip-tied the harness to the outside where it might have gotten pinched by the gas tank)! 

So even though they spent over two days on this ......I was pleased to pay for only 1.5 hours of work ($130) and even though I'd purchased the Stage II equipment elsewhere, they replaced the blown Tourpak speaker under warranty (good thing I'd watched the tech start the radio prior to flashing). Things I've learned:
  • NEVER ALLOW THE RADIO TO BE TURNED ON WITH SPEAKERS CONNECTED PRIOR TO FLASHING.
  • LOT'S OF MISINFORMATION: I'd heard on a forum that a dealer wouldn't flash with disconnected speakers .......my dealer says it doesn't matter ???
  • RESEARCH EVERYTHING .....DON'T ASSUME. These forums are a mostly wonderful source of information

Hope this information is helpful. C'mon "riding weather"!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:39:32 PM by TRIGGER-MAN »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »

This photo corrects a previously posted version......
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2017, 07:13:37 PM »

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm about a week or two away from ordering these parts. Local dealer is having an 'infotainment' workshop on the 11th and I happen to be off that day. They'll be giving 20% off parts for people that attend.  :2vrolijk_21:

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »

Our local shop is too on the presentation, but I don't know about the discount.  I normally buy from Surdyke.com  They are 20% off, no tax and normally free shipping to boot.  Returns suck though, you only get store credit minus a restocking fee so be sure what you are ordering.  Do you have the complete list of what you need?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2017, 06:30:42 AM »

Our local shop is too on the presentation, but I don't know about the discount.  I normally buy from Surdyke.com  They are 20% off, no tax and normally free shipping to boot.  Returns suck though, you only get store credit minus a restocking fee so be sure what you are ordering.  Do you have the complete list of what you need?

Not yet. They just did a bike like mine though so I'm sure the service manager has a complete rundown.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »

Direct from the sheet on the HD Boom Audio Stage II Components Chart :

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »

Direct from the sheet on the HD Boom Audio Stage II Components Chart :

Thanks Mac. I can't find those other harnesses you have highlighted in yellow though. I'll keep looking.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »

For those adventurous souls doing the Stage II installation yourselves .......it always prudent to check for the latest version of the installation instructions online rather than using the instructions which came with the hardware. As an example there was a recent update to the BOOM! AUDIO STAGE II TOUR-PAK AMPLIFIER INSTALLATION KIT (J005996) dated 1/20/2017. Don't know what was changed but figure 4 still has the same mislabeled items I've previously posted LOL ::)
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/90443
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »

There have been some unanswered questions regarding the .bin file which the dealer flashes to your radio after the installation:
  • The prior .bin file for my stock 2015 FLTRUSE was "135_OFF.bin";
  • The new .bin file is "210_OFF.bin"

Curious to know what .bin file others have come up with?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Glenncarp

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2017, 07:51:10 PM »

WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER INTERCONNECT   69200714
    WIRE HARNESS,RR SPEAKER JUMPER   69200489

Dennis

Damn, I was not going to change anything on my '16 after exhaust and race tuner, then I had to ask in the dealer about the stage II, then read here!!!!

I called my local shop today and they quoted me $1,900 for parts, labor and flash of radio. If I do the upgrade, I am going all HD as on my '11 I went aftermarket and ruined the entire CVO resell point. I love the options on the Boom Audio now.

Questions:

1) Sounds like fair/average price for the upgrade from the dealer. I live in FL so we ride all year round so no down time to pull apart bike myself and no deals from dealers for winter down time. What say you all on the quoted $1,900?

2) Is upgrade to II worth $1,900 to those who have done it? I know this, before I knew about stage I Vs II, I heard my buddies CVO Street Glide and I thought to myself "wow, that sounds a lot better than mine." So, is the difference worth 2 grand?

Thanks in advance.

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »

The parts alone are almost $1300 with a discount at Surdyke.  I have said before, this install is not for the faint of heart.  If you like a challenge, then $600 is a lot for a job that you may like to do.  HOWEVER...during my install, I also have said that WHATEVER HD charges for the install is not enough...lol.  It's been, by far, the most challenging Harley task I have ever tried, and that includes removing all of the body parts on my '08 Ultra for a complete custom paint change.  Have not yet quite finished mine, so cannot tell you about the sound, but like you, I wanted all HD.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »

..............Questions:

1) Sounds like fair/average price for the upgrade from the dealer. I live in FL so we ride all year round so no down time to pull apart bike myself and no deals from dealers for winter down time. What say you all on the quoted $1,900?

2) Is upgrade to II worth $1,900 to those who have done it? I know this, before I knew about stage I Vs II, I heard my buddies CVO Street Glide and I thought to myself "wow, that sounds a lot better than mine." So, is the difference worth 2 grand?

Thanks in advance.
Hey Glenn ...........like most things in life, the answer lies in the eye of the beholder ......affordability is key and level of appreciation of the upgraded sound system is important . When I was much younger I stretched to afford the car of my dreams .........a Porsche 944turbo ......and I loved & appreciated that car far more than some spoiled youngsters I saw driving them courtesy of their wealthy parents ::)! Money is definitely an object for me and paying $2k for an upgrade I really don't NEED isn't prudent. But I decided it was worth it for me if I could have the Stage II for $1200 .......plus the satisfaction of installing it myself :P. Heck .......I learned enough about wiring during the upgrade that if I had to do it over again I'd create my own 313 connection at the amplifier up front instead of running the 6900489 jumper harness the length of the bike ;D.

The parts alone are almost $1300 with a discount at Surdyke.  I have said before, this install is not for the faint of heart. If you like a challenge, then $600 is a lot for a job that you may like to do.  HOWEVER...during my install, I also have said that WHATEVER HD charges for the install is not enough...lol.  It's been, by far, the most challenging Harley task I have ever tried, and that includes removing all of the body parts on my '08 Ultra for a complete custom paint change.  Have not yet quite finished mine, so cannot tell you about the sound, but like you, I wanted all HD.
Hey Jack ........apparently we feel the same way about the satisfaction of a self-install ...........so where are you with your project ;D?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Glenncarp

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »

Hey Glenn ...........like most things in life, the answer lies in the eye of the beholder ......affordability is key and level of appreciation of the upgraded sound system is important . When I was much younger I stretched to afford the car of my dreams .........a Porsche 944turbo ......and I loved & appreciated that car far more than some spoiled youngsters I saw driving them courtesy of their wealthy parents ::)! Money is definitely an object for me and paying $2k for an upgrade I really don't NEED isn't prudent. But I decided it was worth it for me if I could have the Stage II for $1200 .......plus the satisfaction of installing it myself :P. Heck .......I learned enough about wiring during the upgrade that if I had to do it over again I'd create my own 313 connection at the amplifier up front instead of running the 6900489 jumper harness the length of the bike ;D.
Hey Jack ........apparently we feel the same way about the satisfaction of a self-install ...........so where are you with your project ;D?

OK, the more I read here about the install, the more I realize that $700 to HD for the install is SOOOOO well worth it!!! ;D

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

Well, fixing those connections in the rear you mentioned.  Have the fairing cover off, but am also installing fog lights, so it's a big jigsaw puzzle.  I took a break to have heat installed in my garage, only to find out the wire gauge was too small for three heaters per circuit (I have 6 total and they draw 12.5 amps each on high, 800 sq ft garage).  So we are pulling the 12/2 out and putting in 8/2.  Larger breakers were no issue, but have you ever priced a 40 amp light switch?  $38 each x2.  Then I decided I needed to upgrade all my outlets and covers to black w/alum diamond plate to match my cabinets and garage fridge I just refinished.  I have BAD project ADD.  Back at the bike tomorrow.

Glenncarp

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »

Well, fixing those connections in the rear you mentioned.  Have the fairing cover off, but am also installing fog lights, so it's a big jigsaw puzzle.  I took a break to have heat installed in my garage, only to find out the wire gauge was too small for three heaters per circuit (I have 6 total and they draw 12.5 amps each on high, 800 sq ft garage).  So we are pulling the 12/2 out and putting in 8/2.  Larger breakers were no issue, but have you ever priced a 40 amp light switch?  $38 each x2.  Then I decided I needed to upgrade all my outlets and covers to black w/alum diamond plate to match my cabinets and garage fridge I just refinished.  I have BAD project ADD.  Back at the bike tomorrow.

The single item in the post that stands out to me is an 800 SF garage!!! My house in 1,300 SF, but then again, I live .5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and the high today was 82, so I do not need to worry about heating my 160 SF garage!!! Lmao

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »

We bought this house for two reasons, the wife got her large granite countertopped kitchen, and I got a big garage!  It's a 3+ car one, and I have so much in it, she car barely park her Kia in there.  Am also building a Factory Five Racing '33 Hot Rod, so that takes most of it.

Glenncarp

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2017, 07:41:21 PM »

We bought this house for two reasons, the wife got her large granite countertopped kitchen, and I got a big garage!  It's a 3+ car one, and I have so much in it, she car barely park her Kia in there.  Am also building a Factory Five Racing '33 Hot Rod, so that takes most of it.

I updated the entire kitchen and gave the wife granite countertops. I am not allowed in "her" kitchen, but she goes into "my" 1 car garage daily. Lol, what we do for love

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2017, 07:12:43 PM »

Well my cheap ass didn't want to spend the $1300 (that's after discount) for just the parts to do my '15. I wishy washy'd myself right out of it for a few reasons, I'm cheap, You never know what the new model year will bring in 6 months,,, yada yada yada.... Then a guy on Facebook post his amp and both front and rear Boom II speakers he had installed in his '16 SERGU when he bought it for sale because he did another change two months later at Sturgis this year. I'll be around $700 once I buy the harnesses I need to do the install. Sometimes it pays to wait a few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:41:33 AM by OBB »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »

Well my cheap ass didn't want to spend the $1300 (that's after discount) for just the parts to do my '15. I wishy washy'd myself right out of it for a few reasons, I'm cheap, You never know what the new model year will bring in 6 months,,, yada yada yada.... Then a guy on Facebook post his amp and both front and rear Boom II speakers he had installed in his '16 SERGU when he bought it for sale because he did another change two months later at Sturgis this year. I'll be around $700 once I buy the harnesses I need to do the install. Sometimes it pays to wait a few weeks.
Finally finished mine up today after riding to the dealer to have the flash done. Sound quality is much better and you don't need the volume to hear it now. I needed a few more things that didn't come with the used parts so I'm sitting right about $800 for the complete job.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2017, 07:10:33 PM »

Finally finished mine up today after riding to the dealer to have the flash done. Sound quality is much better and you don't need the volume to hear it now. I needed a few more things that didn't come with the used parts so I'm sitting right about $800 for the complete job.
Congrats on a job well done Mike :2vrolijk_21: The sound is probably sweeter with your $500 - $600 savings LOL ;)! Assuming most of your listening material is MP3 .....do you have a favorite software app to tag your tunes and optimize the volumes so they're all the same? I've been considering Media Monkey :nixweiss:
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »

Congrats on a job well done Mike :2vrolijk_21: The sound is probably sweeter with your $500 - $600 savings LOL ;)! Assuming most of your listening material is MP3 .....do you have a favorite software app to tag your tunes and optimize the volumes so they're all the same? I've been considering Media Monkey :nixweiss:
Nope. Just using an ipod along with itunes. As much as I can't stand crApple products, this works best for me.

Glenncarp

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »

Nope. Just using an ipod along with itunes. As much as I can't stand crApple products, this works best for me.

Just an FYI, Itunes allows you to adjust your music so it all plays at same volume level.

On Itunes, go to Preferences (or Command-,) and then click on the Playback tab. Check the box next to "Sound Check" and your audio playback should be at a consistent level from now on.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2017, 05:07:08 PM »

Does anyone know the difference between the 76000277A  vs 76000277B amplifiers?  Please don't say the last letter...LOL

I am considering upgrading my 15 FLTRUSE with a rear amp and I saw a "B" version amp is for sale here on the site.

I didn't know there was a B, but as this amp came off a '18 bike, maybe it's a upgraded version somehow.   Wonder if there are any compatibility issues with my existing system?

J

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2017, 05:31:17 PM »

Dennis,  If you are still following this thread....

You said "if you had to do it over again" you'd create your own 313 connector.   I was wondering that same thing.  Why run a harness the full length of the bike.  Could you explain what your thoughts are on this?  Seems to be a much smarter way to do the install, so if I move forward, I'll probably attempt that method.

Thanks,
Jim

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »

Dennis,  If you are still following this thread....

You said "if you had to do it over again" you'd create your own 313 connector.   I was wondering that same thing.  Why run a harness the full length of the bike.  Could you explain what your thoughts are on this?  Seems to be a much smarter way to do the install, so if I move forward, I'll probably attempt that method.

Thanks,
Jim
Hey Jim ....been away from the forum while on other projects but happened to see your post today. Don't have the time to re-familiarize myself with the wiring details, but I do have 3 photos (courtesy of motor1) where he shows the four wires involved to create the new 313 connection in the front. This information plus reading this thread should get you started. Good luck with your project Jim
Regards,
Dennis
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »

Photo #2
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2017, 05:58:57 PM »

Photo #3
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2017, 06:10:38 PM »

Dennis,

Thanks for the info.

J

Glenncarp

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »

Dennis,

Thanks for the info.

J

I understand working on your own bike, wish I was more mechanically inclined to do more. For this particular project, not really seeing the benefit, parts for mine for a little over $900, labor was $400, I understand $400 is not chump change, but from reading this post for hours, it seems like $400 is a steal!

06Ultraman

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2018, 10:33:52 AM »

Boom stage II now shown as all sales final on Harley website.  LOoks like discontinued boom II!  I was trying to convince myself it was worth trying.   Oh well.

Glenncarp

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »

Boom stage II now shown as all sales final on Harley website.  LOoks like discontinued boom II!  I was trying to convince myself it was worth trying.   Oh well.

Might be because it is an electronic item? Just saw it this weekend at HD not local to me and also last week at local HD.

Well worth the price in my opinion, Bass is soooo much better and tour pack rattles with a bass laden song playing.

I will still NEVER understand though why HD does not learn that most use an Ipod or something like it and push more amps out of that side. If you listen to the Ipod, then switch to radio or satellite the volume is so much more pronounced with the non iPod music.

chinesepizzaman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2018, 12:23:48 AM »

Question... have a 2014 CVO Limited, all the parts i am going to mention are HD products and parts. All speakers, wiring are stage 1. I bought speakers and a saddle bag amp. I installed most of it myself. Except for 4 plugs that i cant seem to figure out where they go and the dealership cant figure it out either. Took it in so they could flash it, the computer recognized that there are 2 amps uploaded the stereo and the first amp that is installed in the bat wing, but did not do the download for the 2nd amp. Just pissed away $250 for 2 hours of work at a HD shop and they couldn't figure it out. So i reaching out to see if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has installed a 2nd amp into a CVO stage 1......any help is appreciated

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2018, 01:46:06 PM »

Question... have a 2014 CVO Limited, all the parts i am going to mention are HD products and parts. All speakers, wiring are stage 1. I bought speakers and a saddle bag amp. I installed most of it myself. Except for 4 plugs that i cant seem to figure out where they go and the dealership cant figure it out either. Took it in so they could flash it, the computer recognized that there are 2 amps uploaded the stereo and the first amp that is installed in the bat wing, but did not do the download for the 2nd amp. Just pissed away $250 for 2 hours of work at a HD shop and they couldn't figure it out. So i reaching out to see if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has installed a 2nd amp into a CVO stage 1......any help is appreciated
My experience is with the 2015 road Glide, so not sure if the wiring is identical. Performed most of the Stage II upgrade myself and encountered a similar problem with "under-identified" plugs :nixweiss:! When the tech had troubles with getting the flash to recognize the second amp (Tourpak), through trial & error, he discovered I'd missed connecting the (poorly identified) #10 connection. Done a while back so don't remember details any longer, but hope this diagram helps :2vrolijk_21:.
Dennis
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 21 queries.