Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ignition Cutting In and Out?  (Read 1908 times)

mturner2003

• OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE3
Ignition Cutting In and Out?
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:12:44 AM »

Hello everyone. I've also got an '87 Electra Glide, 88" big bore kit, EV27 cam, Super E carb, T-header, Dyna ignition, dyno tuned, etc. Great bike. A real runner. Went to Daytona this past year and I let my brother ride it while I was on the new CVO. Towards the end of our stay, the bike started cutting on and off. It would cut off long enough it would load up on fuel, come back on and BOOOOOM! We called it the "Uncle Buck Bike" the rest of the trip, lol.

We quickly checked grounds one morning and everything seemed just fine. I pulled the fairing and seat this past weekend and cannot find any obvious signs of a concern. But, I will say this... sometimes, not every time, when the ignition kept cutting out down in Daytona, the lights would go out. Now, I've noticed since I've owned it, especially if it is cold, when I turn the ignition knob to lights, the lights may not always come on. I would sometimes have to turn the knob back to off or the ignition position and then back to lights and they would come on.

I am wondering if the ignition knob is going bad? Anyone ever have the ignition knob go bad? Not the ignition button on the handlebar controls but the main knob at the bottom of the fairing/neck area? Appreciate all input. Thank you very much.

ultrarider123

Re: Ignition Cutting In and Out?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »

Harley had a recall on the ignition switch/knob on the triple tree that was sent out Sturgis week 1997 that covered current to past EG models back to 1986.  I know because I had to replace the one in my 1989 doing the same thing.  I put two batteries in her before K'ville HD diagnosed the switch and replaced.  Another story...on my 1997 EGU I rode with my hand on the switch coming back from Sturgis in 1997 from Louisville to Lexington, KY.  I had called the Lexington dealer when it wouldn't start just outside Louisville (that dealer did not have a switch) doing exactly what you describe and what it did on my '89.  Lexington had one left and would get me in on a Saturday to repair....which they did and I found out there it was covered under the recall that the MoCo sent out that previous week while everyone was on the road heading to/from SD.  Great old dealership in Lexington that was a big help (moved and upgraded to MoCo posh now....another discussion for another thread)

That's a long answer to your question but yes, the switch has issues....

mturner2003

• OH

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:42:48 AM »

Harley had a recall on the ignition switch/knob on the triple tree that was sent out Sturgis week 1997 that covered current to past EG models back to 1986.  I know because I had to replace the one in my 1989 doing the same thing.  I put two batteries in her before K'ville HD diagnosed the switch and replaced.  Another story...on my 1997 EGU I rode with my hand on the switch coming back from Sturgis in 1997 from Louisville to Lexington, KY.  I had called the Lexington dealer when it wouldn't start just outside Louisville (that dealer did not have a switch) doing exactly what you describe and what it did on my '89.  Lexington had one left and would get me in on a Saturday to repair....which they did and I found out there it was covered under the recall that the MoCo sent out that previous week while everyone was on the road heading to/from SD.  Great old dealership in Lexington that was a big help (moved and upgraded to MoCo posh now....another discussion for another thread)

That's a long answer to your question but yes, the switch has issues....

Well I'll be. That is the kind of stuff you want to hear when you have issues! Someone who has had the same experience. Thank you for your reply and knowledge.

I doubt Harley will honor the recall on the bike now... then again I guess it doesn't hurt have them run the VIN to see if it has ever replaced.

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »

Good idea on running the VIN to check.  That was the only problem I had on my '97 but I said quite a few "nice" words on that 80 or so miles to make up for the two years I had that bike.  I had to repent...a LOT...after that ride.... ;D

As for the recall, I believe there is a statute of limitations on them so 20 years later I'm guessing not covered.  I think I still have all my receipts from my bikes somewhere in the basement.  I can look back to see what the '89 cost to replace (it would be in 1991 dollars) but I think it was $150 give or take $10 and that was switch and labor.

Good luck

mturner2003

• OH

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »

Good idea on running the VIN to check.  That was the only problem I had on my '97 but I said quite a few "nice" words on that 80 or so miles to make up for the two years I had that bike.  I had to repent...a LOT...after that ride.... ;D

As for the recall, I believe there is a statute of limitations on them so 20 years later I'm guessing not covered.  I think I still have all my receipts from my bikes somewhere in the basement.  I can look back to see what the '89 cost to replace (it would be in 1991 dollars) but I think it was $150 give or take $10 and that was switch and labor.

Good luck

I'm engineer for Honda and my understanding of the automotive industry is 10 years or if the company goes out of business or the part is no longer being produced. There are all kinds of stipulations as well depending on the part being recalled and whether or not you purchased the vehicle new. I don't expect Harley to honor such an old recall but I would like to know if it has ever been done. Either way, I'll just pick one up and replace it this weekend. Gotta love those weekend projects!

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.