Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dusty, Dusty Dust  (Read 3519 times)

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
Dusty, Dusty Dust
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »

Okay, Okay, so my wife told me not to do it and I did it so now I need some help. My 14 SGS was Morocco Gold but the new CVO is mostly black. We live down a 1 mile gravel road. The difference in dust appearance is overwhelming!!!   :smilie_staub:

I knew it would be more work ( I have a dark blue crown vic also  ;) ) but I guess it doesn't stir up as much gravel dust. I drive 5 mph in and out on the bike, and if it hasn't rained in the last 72 hours man o man. I can't imagine August with no rain.

I used a waterless wash from Adams on the 14, but I don't really want to rub the black that much. I am currently using Swiffer feather dusters. I spend 5 minutes or so at the end of the road each way now. Using 1 feather refill each day for the 2 trips.

Short of renting a storage building in town (which I'm seriously considering) what do some of you guys do? I can't be the only guy with a black bike on a gravel road.... well maybe  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:58:32 AM by Designflaw »
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

Marty811

• SD

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra-Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited-Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO Limited-Traded. 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
Re: Dusty, Dusty Dust
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »

I live on 3 miles of gravel. Put up with it last year on my 2014 CVO Limited. Had to clean it on both ends of the gravel.
About ready to pick up the new 17, Red Garnett, I'm renting a storage unit in town!

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »

I'm also down a dirt road. I just got used to it. That crap gets everywhere. Rain rides are good to to get the dust off but then you get mud up in every nook and cranny.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »

Have you thought about lining the road with DG?   (decomposed granite)

It's relatively inexpensive (compared to asphalt) and once that stuff gets laid and compacted it's almost like concrete yet it remains pourous for the water run off.....and a thousand times better than dirt or sand.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »

Same problem for me, 1/2 mile of gravel road. Be careful with the duster, replace it often or the dust it collects will leave small scratches. I learned that the hard way. One of my neighbors and I kept calling the county about the dust on the road, they would have been issuing fines if it were a construction site. We finally got them to start spraying the road with calcium chloride which helped immensely, still get a little dust but nowhere near as bad as it was.

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »

Same problem for me, 1/2 mile of gravel road. Be careful with the duster, replace it often or the dust it collects will leave small scratches. I learned that the hard way. One of my neighbors and I kept calling the county about the dust on the road, they would have been issuing fines if it were a construction site. We finally got them to start spraying the road with calcium chloride which helped immensely, still get a little dust but nowhere near as bad as it was.

Calcium chloride? Doesn't that cause rust?

P
2013 CVO RoadKing

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »

Yeah, that's my point, 1 per trip in and out
Basically $$$. But I feel that beats rubbing a detail spray over dry dirt 2 times a day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Appearance:

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 11:00:04 PM »

Ride it and enjoy it. It's transportation not jewelry.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »

Calcium chloride? Doesn't that cause rust?

P

Yes.  It also presents risks if inhaled or allowed to stay in contact with your skin.  When you ride on that stuff while it's wet and then let it dry, it doesn't just rinse off.  Got it on momma's car when visiting her sister after a rain, a touchless carwash the next day didn't faze it.  Had to do the full on hand wash twice to remove it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »

Yes.  It also presents risks if inhaled or allowed to stay in contact with your skin.  When you ride on that stuff while it's wet and then let it dry, it doesn't just rinse off.  Got it on momma's car when visiting her sister after a rain, a touchless carwash the next day didn't faze it.  Had to do the full on hand wash twice to remove it.

Jerry

I haven't noticed those ill effects from the calcium chloride. It is in solution when they apply it so no risk of inhalation, maybe from some dust long after it was applied but I doubt it could be any worse than inhaling a lot more dust otherwise. All my vehicles get hand washed anyway but none have been hard to clean or show signs of rusting.  The solution is diluted to about 35% and tends to stay in the gravel roadbed, if it didn't it wouldn't be very effective for dust control. From what I have learned it is not the best choice for dust control on a dirt road with no gravel, it tends to disperse faster and the dirt can become slick when wet. Even if there are some minor downfalls with calcium chloride the benefits far outweigh them IMO.

41d

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »

A simple solution that will take a minute or two. Rinse it off with the hose and then get a high-powered backpack blower or leaf blower and blow it off dry. It may take a little bit of time but you won't get any scratches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »

A simple solution that will take a minute or two. Rinse it off with the hose and then get a high-powered backpack blower or leaf blower and blow it off dry. It may take a little bit of time but you won't get any scratches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea not practical when heading out

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Appearance:

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »

We lived on a 2 mi gravel road.  I use to load my '03 Road Glide in the featherlite trailer and drive it to the end of the gravel, park it, unload and ride. Then reverse on the way home. A pain, but almost faster than washing or detailing it each time.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »

They make a product that you add to water and spray the road heavily. It keeps the dust way down. Its used at all the vineyards. It works by the product absorbs moisture from the air and keeps the road from drying out. Magnesium chloride. Dust gaurd is one

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.