Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Anyone Doing Their Own Tire Mounting and Balancing?  (Read 6660 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Anyone Doing Their Own Tire Mounting and Balancing?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 02:46:29 PM »

Who has the best online pricing for current stock major brand (Michelin, Avon) tires?  Last couple sets I ordered from J&P but it's been awhile since I looked at other vendors.

The last few times that I shopped / bought Tires, the least expensive, with the best selection, has been;

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

J.D.

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »

Thanks.  So I'm down to choosing either Dunlop American Elite or Michelin Commander II.  Leaning toward the latter, although some online claim they are stiffer and more difficult to mount.

J.D.

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »

The last few times that I shopped / bought Tires, the least expensive, with the best selection, has been;

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/

Checked J&P, Dennis Kirk, Amazon, Bike Bandit, 2Wheel, and americanmototire - you are correct, they have the best price.  Thanks for the info  :orange: :mango: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »

Thanks.  So I'm down to choosing either Dunlop American Elite or Michelin Commander II.  Leaning toward the latter, although some online claim they are stiffer and more difficult to mount.

Several Manufacturers are stiffening the sidewalls for safety reasons,,, going towards "run-flat" capability... not quite there yet,, but headed that way...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »

The Commander II tires are definitely a stiffer sidewall and harder to mount/dismount.  Have done several and it's a noticeable difference.

J.D.

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 01:55:11 PM »

Gotta love Amazon Prime.  Tire spoons and rim shields arrived this morning.  Like a kid on Christmas morning, couldn't wait to open the box.  Hmmm, I say to myself, ya know, the wheels are still sitting in the garage with my tubing-clad bucket and bottle of Windex.  Maybe I'll just throw on my slippers and kinda check out if the rim shields fit on and which way these spoons get oriented.

Shields pop right on and fit like they were made for this wheel.  Recalling my extensive training and education on the job (ok one YouTube video) I get what I think is the correct orientation of the spoons and space them a few inches apart from each other.  The drop center of the opposite side is very easy to feel with a little tug.

Ok will try this later.

Well that plan lasted all of 10 seconds before I grabbed the Windex bottle and sprayed down the bead.  Popped those irons back in over the shields and gave them a simultaneous tug (yep, just like the guy did it on the aforementioned YouTube video).  Pop, right over the lip of the rim.  One more "nibble" on either side and 1st bead completely off.  Repeat for second bead, even easier.

So, never removing a motorcycle tire from a wheel before I was able to remove both in literally under 10 minutes with absolutely no sweat whatsoever (in my slippers to boot).  I can't believe I've been paying the dealer $100/hour to do this.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:56:44 PM by 2002FXDWG3 »

ultrarider123

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »

Gotta love Amazon Prime.  Tire spoons and rim shields arrived this morning.  Like a kid on Christmas morning, couldn't wait to open the box.  Hmmm, I say to myself, ya know, the wheels are still sitting in the garage with my tubing-clad bucket and bottle of Windex.  Maybe I'll just throw on my slippers and kinda check out if the rim shields fit on and which way these spoons get oriented.

Shields pop right on and fit like they were made for this wheel.  Recalling my extensive training and education on the job (ok one YouTube video) I get what I think is the correct orientation of the spoons and space them a few inches apart from each other.  The drop center of the opposite side is very easy to feel with a little tug.

Ok will try this later.

Well that plan lasted all of 10 seconds before I grabbed the Windex bottle and sprayed down the bead.  Popped those irons back in over the shields and gave them a simultaneous tug (yep, just like the guy did it on the aforementioned YouTube video).  Pop, right over the lip of the rim.  One more "nibble" on either side and 1st bead completely off.  Repeat for second bead, even easier.

So, never removing a motorcycle tire from a wheel before I was able to remove both in literally under 10 minutes with absolutely no sweat whatsoever (in my slippers to boot). I can't believe I've been paying the dealer $100/hour to do this.

Easy money.....

J.D.

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »

Worst part is, the dealer is 1/2 hour away, which meant 2 hours of driving on top of the labor bill.

Just ordered the remaining tools on my list (less the drop center tool and tires).  Probably won't order and install the tires until next season so this thread will likely go dormant again for 4-5 months.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:46 PM »

Ok will try this later.

So, never removing a motorcycle tire from a wheel before I was able to remove both in literally under 10 minutes with absolutely no sweat whatsoever (in my slippers to boot).  I can't believe I've been paying the dealer $100/hour to do this.

Nice.  It's really all about having the right slippers.

Plus if doing the deed with a normal sidewall that's not too stiff this is a an easy job; if you've got the right slippers.

J.D.

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:20 PM »

Hey why not have warm, clean feet when the job is done? :bananarock:

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »

Sounds like a great deal.  Where in FL is this shop?

Although I seldom pay any attention to young bike techs but a local shop here known for Saturday tire mounting for a small amount used to be $15 each and has grown to $40 but that includes remove from bike, mounting and balancing and reinstall. I was in there last Saturday and they will NOT put Dyna beads in a bike that has a tire pressure monitor system. If you demand them they will turn you away. They do recommend Dyna for everything else. They said everytime they used them it resulted in later having to remove them (at there expense) due to complaints with inconsistent readings of the tire pressure system. FYI

J.D.

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »

Ended up ordering the Commander II set from americanmototire.com.  Shipped same day with 2-day transit.  Fresh inventory with mid-late 2017 date codes.  Noted the sidewalls have "MADE IN THAILAND" molded in, and the lightest/heaviest spot isn't marked.  Tires still look like top quality, but if I had it to do over I'd order the American-made Dunlops.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:19:46 PM by 2002FXDWG3 »

J.D.

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »

Finally got around to mounting the new tires today.  It was much easier than expected, comically easy in fact, and even easier than removing the old ones.  The simple tools I bought worked perfectly.  The tires practically slid right on using that mounting grease.  Setting the tires out in 90F sun for 1/2 hour probably helped.  Tires themselves were pretty evenly balanced as the heavy spot was in the same place as it was on the rim itself.  Balancing took some time and patience but the results seem good (although I won't know for sure until on the highway).

J.D.

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »

Well I'm going to call this a success.  New tires are smoother than ever and feel balanced at highway speeds (and haven't lost any wheel weights).  Wear patterns look centered and good.  No problems or any apparent issues whatsoever.

Installed new brake pads as part of the job.  Cleaned the calipers up with brake cleaner and bled fresh DOT5 through both systems.  Brakes are nice and firm and stop well.  I should be good for another 10-15k.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 21 queries.