Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Big Twin cams maybe gone 2018  (Read 8721 times)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Big Twin cams maybe gone 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »

Why is there no much negativity about Harley and their product on this thread. Not sure why people that don't like the brand even waste their time on this forum. They should find something that interests them and get a life.

It ain't the motorsikles fault, or is it??

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

mark

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »

Why is there no much negativity about Harley and their product on this thread. Not sure why people that don't like the brand even waste their time on this forum. They should find something that interests them and get a life.

You have two posts.  Go to the Twin Cam section and Milwaukee 8 section of this forum.  Under Twin Cam, read about failed compensators, lifters, excessive oil consumption, etc.  Don't worry about being able to find them, there will be a multitude of posts dating back to the introduction of the 110. In the M8 section, read about oil sumping and oil pump issues.  The posts you read will be from HD loyalist that spent $30k to $40k for the MoCo's top of the line product.  After reading, feel free to make your third post.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »

You may have the wrong impression,....in time as you read different threads no one says they don't like Harley's it's not negatively it's venting.

The interest is upgrading the MoCo's top of the line bike so it will keep running,...inturn gives us a life on a more trustworthy ride ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:58:50 PM by longlast »

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »

Nothing negative about wanting a plaid saddle  ;D

The following may be offensive to some readers....

I love my FLHTCUSE6 but......

:soapbox:
The only negative aspects I personally can relate to is..... One Tappet & Cam set replacements due to failed tappets(at 6500 miles), Another cam set and tappet replacement due to broken cam retention bolt in the cam chest(at 12,000 miles), a compensator replacement, three ignition switches, a rear brake light switch and a faulty cruise control(twice) - all in five years of ownership and about 32,000 miles of riding ( fortunately I have an ESP on the bike, which I will likely renew in April - if the ESP company will let me  :huepfenlol2: )

Then there is the preventative tappet changes at 25,000 miles - that one on my dime for parts as I did my own labor... Almost forgot, guess who fixed the cruise control and a malfunctioning power lock on the saddle bags????  Give up?? yup I fixed those since the parts changers at one dealer I USED to go to couldn't troubleshoot their way out of wet paper bag and I got sick of bringing the bike back repeatedly for the issues

For $36,000.00 (in 2011) of my hard earned cash I expect better.

Will I buy another one?  probably not. I can't see spending 40k on one when the build/engineering quality has not improved to a level I expect. Heck, I spent a lot less than that on my car and it hasn't seen a repair shop since I bought it in 2013 - and it has 62,000 miles on it ......

I've looked at the new Indians and they are a viable alternative to a new HD - if I could get a trade in on all my darn Harley T-shirts  :oops:

At this point in time it's just more cost effective and easier to keep the bike I have.

Hopefully your results will be different, and by that I mean better.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 12:56:15 AM »

Because there are a lot of people here who are on their 3rd compensator, 3rd master cylinder repair/replace, 3rd voltage regulator, 2nd stator, 2nd set of cylinders and heads, 2nd set of lifters, or even 3rd engine.  On the same bike, of course.  With several of those failures occurring while 1000s of miles from home, on a budgeted number of days...and paid the equivalent of today's $42,000.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »

Warning!!! Don’t expect to post anything positive about a HARLEY on this site without getting flamed and accused of guzzling koolaid!!!

The truth is there a several on this forum that evidently had one or more problems with there bike and have found a home to puff up their chest and beat it like a silver back. Must make them feel important or powerful or whatever. Sure whatever problem they may have had did happen to them 100%. They certainly have the right to be pi$$ed. That fact does not mean 100% of Harley’s have experienced the same problems, OR that 100% of Harley owners are pis$ed off at MoCO, or unhappy with THEIR bike, or THEIR purchase. They just have a life and don’t LIVE on this forum constantly posting all of THEIR POSITIVE experiences. Some don’t post positive on here out of fear. I don’t give a $hit.

Here are some facts… My 2015 FLHXSE now has over 33K miles on it. Not a lot but still as much as the previous example post mentioning all the bad experiences. In my example the bike has only been in the shop for the 1000 mile service. No problems whatsoever! I service it every 5K. I take my wheels in and have the tires replaced. That’s it! We just got back from another yearly extended trip (5700 miles) from Washington coast to Milwaukie WI for a factory tour and the HD Museum and back. Oh Jeeze… no problems again. I sold my previous bike at over 45K. It had one compensator changed at a warranty deductible cost of $50. I put forward that most Harley riders are having experiences closer to what I have experienced, NOT those of the Silver Back chest beaters posting on this forum. I say they are a small percentage compared to the total population of owners.

Another fact. Unlike Tesla most companies have to make money to survive; thus, the extended warranty company is making money. If all of their customers were experiencing what the Silver Back chest beaters are espousing on this forum they would have been bankrupt years ago.

Yes the koolaid tastes so good. Someone has to have the ball$ to tell it like it is on this forum. Now go ahead and beat your chests! As you can see it just breaks my heart.

Frank FX

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Prostreet Breakout
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 11:49:47 AM »

Well said. I agree 100%

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »

The doctors of negativity have been challenged.   :huepfenlol2:

Some just think all Harleys are crap.  Like some "other" brand owners I know.  Fun to tweak them at times, unless they are just a-holes about it.  Then there are the "All Harleys are crap and only the ones made before _________________ are good" & that is not a new idea.  I have heard that for years, engine changes, carb to fuel injection, yadda yadda. 

If I thought it was that bad I would buy something else.  Have I had bike issues?  Sure and some were not simple.  Each time either the dealer stepped up or Harley stepped up to take care of them.  The time that took, sometimes, was another matter.  All in all Harley remains the sales leader for a reason.  No guarantee that continues forever or even for the next decade.

Too many USA companies have bit the dust, or sold out to some conglomerate who later destroyed them. No way would I wish that upon any company (well Comcast could be a current exception), hope HD continues to do well.

And the T/Cs be gone or barely there if at all.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »

Can I get a lab coat and stethoscope?

Actually, I could use a good stethoscope to aid in diagnosing some mechanical noises I keep hearing.... :huepfenlol2:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »

Can I get a lab coat and stethoscope?

Actually, I could use a good stethoscope to aid in diagnosing some mechanical noises I keep hearing.... :huepfenlol2:

Yes and yes.  The Harley noise gremlins are legion.   :o

Not saying some do not have legitimate gripes, and some of these are so bad they will never buy another Harley.  Understandable.  But some........just enjoy the biatching, kvetching, complaining, etc.  Is better to be pondering, with a  beverage that is some sort of potent memory eraser, to make it better to ponder.

Back in 08 when my 07 was a POS, I was in the biatch group, but I drank enough memory eraser beverages to fuhgeddabouit.   ;D

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »

I just need a little more majic Berrie juice to make things right.
As I stated in my post I love the bike. Unfortunately I think I got a Monday model.
I've addressed most of the historical issues with new cam bearings, upgraded lifters. And the latest version of the compensator with the fancy oil tray gizmo. This winter the top end will be addressed..

Back on topic, have the 2028"s been revealed yet? Just a little curious about the rest of the lines getting the M8.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:52:31 PM by phato1 »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 04:58:37 PM »

Carb report is the same since Friday.  Reports are around that say M8 goes into Softail models & Fat Bobs.

Yeah, I had a lousy 07, towards the last.  Electrical and security system glitches mostly and they were always a little different each time.  After 3 years I traded for my 2010, it was a good one. So far the 17 is ok. No probs except the I-Aint system vexes me sorely.

Berry juice makes everything better.  Reminds me, is beer thirty here.  :drink:

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 05:46:37 PM »

Some just think all Harleys are crap.  Like some "other" brand owners I know.  Fun to tweak them at times, unless they are just a-holes about it.  Then there are the "All Harleys are crap and only the ones made before _________________ are good" & that is not a new idea.  I have heard that for years, engine changes, carb to fuel injection, yadda yadda. 

If I thought it was that bad I would buy something else.  Have I had bike issues?  Sure and some were not simple.  Each time either the dealer stepped up or Harley stepped up to take care of them.  The time that took, sometimes, was another matter.  All in all Harley remains the sales leader for a reason.  No guarantee that continues forever or even for the next decade.

Too many USA companies have bit the dust, or sold out to some conglomerate who later destroyed them. No way would I wish that upon any company (well Comcast could be a current exception), hope HD continues to do well.

And the T/Cs be gone or barely there if at all.

Thanks for giving me some cover iski. It just never ceases to amaze me how people can look at similar situations so completely differently.

I grew-up racing bikes in the dirt and blew up a lot of engines from many different manufacturers. The first one my dad helped me with. The next time (age 12) he said “If you can tear it apart, you can put it back together.” I did and all the rest were on me. Go figure but the same thing was repeated for my first car. I was fortunate enough to get a 69 SS 396. Almost the first day taking it to school I did a burnout dropping my brother off and it started knocking. It had 12.5 aluminum pistons that I did not warm up well enough.  My dad helped me with that one and the next four engines were on me. Of course I never even considered that any of the bikes or the car were a POS.

I had more fun racing and riding those bikes and driving that car than almost anything else! Riding these bikes on the street are not that much fun, but that is why I ride them… for fun. Why keep one that makes you miserable? Cheers.

Dennis97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 06:11:58 PM »

All car and manufacturer's have bad products come off the line. I have been fortunate not to have one. I like Harley's but have issues with the MOCO. Don't get me started on Stealerships, I mean Dealerships. I guess there is something wrong with me but I will stick with Harley Davidson. I like the Indians but if they don't really take off I am concerned they will go the way of Victory.
2020 CVO Tri Glide
2011 CVO Street Glide
2011 Road King
1997 Heritage Softail Springer

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »

Thanks for giving me some cover iski. It just never ceases to amaze me how people can look at similar situations so completely differently.

I grew-up racing bikes in the dirt and blew up a lot of engines from many different manufacturers. The first one my dad helped me with. The next time (age 12) he said “If you can tear it apart, you can put it back together.” I did and all the rest were on me. Go figure but the same thing was repeated for my first car. I was fortunate enough to get a 69 SS 396. Almost the first day taking it to school I did a burnout dropping my brother off and it started knocking. It had 12.5 aluminum pistons that I did not warm up well enough.  My dad helped me with that one and the next four engines were on me. Of course I never even considered that any of the bikes or the car were a POS.

I had more fun racing and riding those bikes and driving that car than almost anything else! Riding these bikes on the street are not that much fun, but that is why I ride them… for fun. Why keep one that makes you miserable? Cheers.

I understand what your saying, and don't entirely disagree.

I'm just saying that my experience with THIS HD has not been all sunshine and roses (it's not my first or only HD) Unfortunately it's left a bit of a bad taste. Again my experience is obviously different than some.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.