Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sell me on a RG over a SG  (Read 4342 times)

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
Sell me on a RG over a SG
« on: August 26, 2017, 06:30:59 AM »

Puzzled, and others educate me please!  Having been a Street Glide guy my dealer is working on a price for me on the 18 2 tone grey SG and 2 tone grey RG. No I am not buying 2 bikes, but keeping my option open on one or the other.  At 5'8" the SG has fit me prefect but in looking at the dimensions I see the RG will actually put me closer to the ground.  Both bikes are to include Reduced reach bars as I am short in the arms and arm fatigue is a big issue for me on my present SG.  Both bikes priced with matching King Tour Pak and rest of normal accessories.   Pretend you are a salesman and tell me why I would want the RG over the SG.  What is the big front wheel going to do for me other than looks? etc etc etc.  I have never road a RG but my buddies that have them love them.  3 Ultras before getting into the SG's.  I always found the SG less top heavy and better balanced for my height compared to the Ultra.  FYI up here in Canada now the SG is listing at $50 and the RG at $53!!!!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Re: Sell me on a RG over a SG
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:51:09 AM »

I've never owned a RG, but have ridden a few over the years.  A few years back I was lucky enough to enjoy a demo on a "Maple" CVO RG for over a week!  Love the paint job, the fancy stitch seat, the ride and handling, but in the end decided to stick with what I was more comfortable with.

My best advise would be to definitely go to an upcoming demo ride at your dealer to test ride one, as you mentioned you've never ridden a RG... It will certainly be a different feel from what you're used to - possibly better, or maybe not, as it is a real personal thing.  I'm certain with you being 5'8", I can almost assure you that your touch screen will be "touchless"!

Good luck with your decision.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:52:42 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 07:10:19 AM »

LOL on the touch screen.  I hear ya!  I can count on my hand the number of times I have touched my present screen.  Always used the hand controls because hell I might leave a finger/glove print on the screen!

Mjspiz

• 2021 CVO Triglide
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »

If you ride mainly in town a SG will do othrtwise buy the RG.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »

There are many many threads all over this website discussing the pros and cons of one design over another. If you do the advanced search function and put in "bat vs shark" you get many entries where this topic is discussed. Here is one example:

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=111320.0

You will find that many prefer one over the other for their own reasons and of course they want to justify their purchase.  :huepfenlol2:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »

okay, i'm a short guy.  5'4'', with 28'' inseam.  had a road king with a fairing (essentially a street glide) before I owned road glides, so I think I can talk with some amount of experience here.

with the fixed fairing, you have more space in front of you vs the batwing fairing being 'in your face'.  less claustrophobic and cramped feeling.  this also means you get more rain in the face with the road glide.

the 13 and below (pre rushmore) road glides were even worse than the newer ones,  the rushmores have moved the fairing 2.0'' closer to the rider, and the handlebars have a bunch more pullback, in the neighborhood of 5.5''.

no, the headlights don't turn with the fairing.  but given the physics of countersteering, the roadglide headlights lean into the turn, while the batwing headlights point outward.  yes, it's very minute but just a response to those who bring this up.

my radio is further away than yours would be.  I can reach it fine when I need to.  though most of the time, I use my hand controls.  that's what they're there for.

where the roadglide shines is on the highway.  while wind and turbulence by passing vehicles (esp. trucks) is minimized with the roadglide, while the batwing has those forces put right on the forks.  we've been on rides where once we reach our destination, the batwing folks talk about how 'brutal' the wind was, while I didn't even notice any.

the difference in seat height between the two bikes is negligible and is attributable to the 19'' front wheel on the sg, vs the 21'' front wheel on the rg.  in the past, the 2 bikes were identical with the exception of the fairing.

I would agree with the recommendation that you do an extended test ride on the rg.  that will give you a good comparison/contrast to your sg experience.  but, I would stress that you remember that that little tiny windscreen on the cvo rg will need to be replaced with a proper windscreen asap.  that tiny little thing isn't even as tall as the inner fairing.

this road glide is my 2nd road glide.  I knew what I was getting before I got it, so the reasons that I like it have absolutely zero to do with 'justifying' my purchase, and everything to do with why I bought this bike in the first place.  but, roadglides are not for everyone.  which is why they make more than one bike.  and i'm happy with not everyone having one.  I liked it better when there was fewer of us out on the road.  there is a reason why they called it 'the secret society of the sharknose'.  but that secret has been getting out more.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:18:26 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:10:47 PM »

With those awful speed limits you all have in Canada you probably won't notice the difference. But if you head to Sturgis and try both models out on I90 and pass some trucks going 140/150. You'll make up your mind pretty quick.

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »

Thanks guys I appreciate the input and your suggestions will give me something to look for on a good test ride.

jcd520

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »

Be advised -----------You cannot put lowers on the cvo roadglide---------they will not fit with the knockout wheels that they come with. I don't know about you but I don't ride with out lower fairings on either an RG or SG---------in the rain it will drown you. Water comes straight up from under the fairing and hits you directly in the face without lowers.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »

I'm 5'7" , agree with everything said but all I can say is get a test ride and take it out to the highway and into some twisties, nobody has to "sell" you on a RG, the bike will sell itself. If it's right for you, you will know it in seconds. It's just that good.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

jcd520

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 05:31:02 PM »

I agree----------I love the new 117 RG , I just will not buy without the ability to install lower fairings. There is nothing like the RG on the highway or anywhere else. They feel lighter , handle better , slip through the wind better ------I love them. However the wind comes right up into your face without lower fairings and the rain will literally drown you . True on any batwing fairing bike too.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »

my bike came without lowers.  I added them too.  love the ride with them.  when I traded that bike in for the cvo, kept the lowers, and shipped them to joe z at xtreme dimension for his magic.  I've just gotten too used to the ride with them to ride without them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:28:47 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

jcd520

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »

The engine guard is not the problem.
The description on the fairing lowers says that they will not work with knockout Wheels.
The description of the knockout Wheels also says that they will not work with fairing lowers.
My guess is that the 21 inch front wheel Fender hits the fairing lowers when you turn the handlebars.
The CVO Street Glide however has lowers but does not have the knockout Wheels.

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »

Ive owned both. I bought the Original Screamin' Eagle Roadglide in 2000 when it was not popular. I owned it and the 04' SEEG (the first Streetglide) at the same time. I loved both bikes. I currently ride a Streetglide. It is all personal preference. If it were me, I couldn't sway you one way or the other.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 12:29:48 AM »

Ive owned both. I bought the Original Screamin' Eagle Roadglide in 2000 when it was not popular. I owned it and the 04' SEEG (the first Streetglide) at the same time. I loved both bikes. I currently ride a Streetglide. It is all personal preference. If it were me, I couldn't sway you one way or the other.
I have both right now and agree that I love both bikes and have trouble picking one over the other
Alan
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.