Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: True-Track stabilizer for Touring 2014+  (Read 9145 times)

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '15 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
True-Track stabilizer for Touring 2014+
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:26:35 AM »

Hello

I've been looking for feedback about the True-Track stabilizer plates, front (ref. 20-00-09FTS) and rear (ref. 20-00-09), but all info found looks to come from people with pre Rushmore touring.

Does anybody use them, front or back, with a 2014+ touring? Does it really correct/eliminate wobbles? Is it worth it? What about a SGSE15 ?

Rear : http://www.true-track.com/tt_20-00-09.html

Front: http://www.true-track.com/tt_20-00-09FTS.html

Thank you in advance for your info

Greetings   Lolo

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

Re: True-Track stabilizer for Touring 2014+
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »

No one is using that on his 2014+ StreetGlide ?

Merry Christmas

Lolo

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 01:46:20 PM »

When Harley redesigned the touring frame for the 09 model year the "wobbles" became a thing of the past for the most part. If you are experiencing a problem with front or rear wobbles I would check a couple of things like tire condition and pressure and make sure that you aren't overloading the suspension. If those things are good then a trip to your mechanic is probably in order. But all this is just MY personal experience. Maybe someone else could chime in with a different perspective.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »

Have to agree with rayson56. I have owned a pre-09 (New frame), Ultra and now a 2013 Ultra. Never had this wobble they speak of. None of my friends that I know have had to use these anti-wobble brackets. Hope it is a thing of the past...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »

Lolo, do you actually have a wobble issue, or are you just reading ads and wondering if you need something they're trying to sell?  As noted above, the rear steer and wobble issues were a problem on the 2008 and earlier touring frames with the single front motor mount.  That's what the True-Track and similar products were originally designed for, and they did seem to help on those bikes.  In 2009 Harley changed the entire frame and swingarm, making both much stronger and more rigid.  That along with using two front motor mounts eliminated the issue for most people, at least the kinds of wobbles created by lateral movement of the rear wheel relative to the frame and front end.  That didn't keep some companies from trying to continue to make profits on their stabilizers, thus the new version designed to fit the 2009 and later bikes. 

If you actually have a wobble, I'd suggest finding the real source of the problem and fixing that, versus adding one of these devices.  Actually repairing the root cause of the problem is almost always preferable to just covering it up with an add-on device.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

@Jerry: Yes I experience woobles with my SGSE 2015, and it is frightening.

The bike is properly maintained, all services executed by HD. The scoot is fully equiped with front and rear öhlins shocks/springs and with perfectly balanced and correctly inflated new metzeler tires... and some woobles nevertheless occure in certain situations. It usually occure in long curves at different speed from as low as 60 mph, most generally from 75 mph, depending the quality of the road asphalt or bumps. But it also occurs in straight line at higher speed and above 100 mph it's, let's say unpredictive.

After having experienced woobles at different speed, I have almost lost confidence in this motorcycle above 70 mph despite the fact that it can easily reach 125 mph. I am clueless on how it can be solved. That sucks and it is dangerous, specially here in Europe where highway speed is usually 75-80 mph, even not limited on some part in Germany.

Any info to fix that would be very appreciated

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »

you need to buy a SHARK... you wont know till you do, how stable a bike can be at speed   8)
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 10:42:28 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

@Jerry: Yes I experience woobles with my SGSE 2015, and it is frightening.

The bike is properly maintained, all services executed by HD. The scoot is fully equiped with front and rear öhlins shocks/springs and with perfectly balanced and correctly inflated new metzeler tires... and some woobles nevertheless occure in certain situations. It usually occure in long curves at different speed from as low as 60 mph, most generally from 75 mph, depending the quality of the road asphalt or bumps. But it also occurs in straight line at higher speed and above 100 mph it's, let's say unpredictive.

After having experienced woobles at different speed, I have almost lost confidence in this motorcycle above 70 mph despite the fact that it can easily reach 125 mph. I am clueless on how it can be solved. That sucks and it is dangerous, specially here in Europe where highway speed is usually 75-80 mph, even not limited on some part in Germany.

Any info to fix that would be very appreciated

I have a 2015 SESG and I too have a wobble. It's a front end wobble. First happened at lower speeds on decel. Going down from say 45 down to 30 front end would wobble. Not a tank slapper but very uncomfortable. Dealer just tightened neck bolt (in actuality over tightened) and wobble went away........at lower speeds. Now the fun. High speed decel wobble. From around 95 down to around 75 a scary as hell wobble that will pucker your ass up quick. Dealer says so sorry tough chit we can't have a service tech do a test ride in excess of speed limits. Yes that's what they said.

So the hunt has begun. Replaced front suspension, new tires, check wheel and tire balance. Next is to completely rebuild neck and see what happens. I have also replaced all motor mounts as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »

I confirm that it is a front end wobble, not tank slapping but enough to feel really unsafe at 75 mph and chit your pants at 100+ mph.

Never experienced it at low speed. Replacement of front suspension, new tires and wheels balance did not improved anything in that matter.

Let us know if rebuilding neck and replacing all motor mounts has any effect.

Merry Christmas    Lolo

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 07:10:00 AM by Lolo »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 12:15:50 PM »

I had a slight wobble in high speed sweepers (very high speed..) on my 12 Roadglide and in stalled the True Track and it went away. I was also getting advice that I didn't need the TT but like you I had done the front and rear Ohlins and figured it was worth a shot. I was being told that Harleys just aren't made to perform the way I was pushing it and I almost "bought it" but I am happy I went for the True Track solution. On my 17 Streetglide I have not had any issue at any speeds but I was certainly prepared to do the TT when I first got it. There is a high speed sweeper up in the Laguna Mtns that I ride almost every weekend where I can "let her run" and if there is no wobble there I am good. If you can find a spot like that where you are consistently getting the wobble then you can install the TT and see for yourself if it worked or not. My dealer told me when I did mine if it didn't work I would only be out the half hour of labor they charged me to install as they would refund me the part.
Alan

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »

I have a 2015 SESG and I too have a wobble. It's a front end wobble. First happened at lower speeds on decel. Going down from say 45 down to 30 front end would wobble. Not a tank slapper but very uncomfortable. Dealer just tightened neck bolt (in actuality over tightened) and wobble went away........at lower speeds. Now the fun. High speed decel wobble. From around 95 down to around 75 a scary as hell wobble that will pucker your ass up quick. Dealer says so sorry tough chit we can't have a service tech do a test ride in excess of speed limits. Yes that's what they said.

So the hunt has begun. Replaced front suspension, new tires, check wheel and tire balance. Next is to completely rebuild neck and see what happens. I have also replaced all motor mounts as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Below 45 it's behind the head. Above 45 it's in font of the head.  Tighten up head bearings for starters.  I was Using the old 'swing test" mine was set at just barely one swing. problem solved. Rode it that way for 75,000 miles.     
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »

Hello,

I acquired both front and rear TT stabilizers. I will first have my 15'000 miles maintenance, have the head bearings tightened up to 1 swing, and retest. Than I will mount the plates and let you know if it makes any difference.

Greetings from freezing Switzerland

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 07:21:02 PM »

Hello,

I acquired both front and rear TT stabilizers. I will first have my 15'000 miles maintenance, have the head bearings tightened up to 1 swing, and retest. Than I will mount the plates and let you know if it makes any difference.

Greetings from freezing Switzerland

The 2014 and later bikes DO NOT use the swing test, and if you use it you will get erroneous results.  The Rushmore bikes use a swing back test somewhat similar to the test used on Dyna's and Softail's.  You'll probably want to check the shop manual if doing it yourself, or if taking it to a shop make certain they use the correct method.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:29:59 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »

Swing Back Specs attached.

Jerry

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 05:32:26 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: Thank you Jerry

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »

Hi all,

My bike has been serviced for the 15K miles. Everything checked, new tires well balanced, motor mount checks etc...

I've talk with the mechanic in chief who said it is really not a good idea to over tight the neck bearing which would cause rapid worn. So I did not ask to do it.

Guess what, wobbles still there.

But I've also talk with the guy and they admit that I am definitely not the only one who is experiencing wobbles at speed from 75 and above. They have no miracle solution for that as it is almost by design. These bikes have not been design for that kind of speed. End of the story.

I have mounted the bike in full Öhlins front and rear, of course it handles a lot better, but it absolutely does not help in eliminating the wobbles.

So now I am going to mount the True-Track and let you know.

Greetings   Lolo
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:39:36 PM by Lolo »

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »

Hi all,

I have mounted both the front and rear True-Track stabilizers. Now after around 3K miles of trips on highways and mountain roads I can say that is helps, but...

While the wobbles are still present at "high" speeds the phenomenon now occurs from 85 mph in curves, so I gained 10mph, and wobbles are more low frequency, it still wobbles but much more slowly. On straight line when releasing the throttle over 100 mph I still experience some wobbles but again much less than before.

The bike feels more homogeneous and direct when initiating a curve, at any speed over 40 mph I feel that the frame and the engine turn together with no impression that there is a "lag", frame first than engine. Difficult to really explain, just a sensation. The bike also vibrate more at idle.

As the bike is fully mounted with Öhlins shocks, front and rear, I have also hardened the rear shocks by 2 clicks, going from 9 to 11 clicks (I weight 165lbs). I seems also to minimize the wobbles. I've done that later, thus this do not alter the feedback above.

Well, True-Track is not the silver bullet, it helps to reduce high speed wobbles, increase speed at which it occurs, but do not fully eliminate the problem which I guess is inherent to the design of the bike.

Now there nothing much I can change/add to eliminate the issue. So I will live with, but heck this sucks.

Hope this helps.

Greetings   Lolo

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »

Have you considered a steering stabilizer in the event it’s the front causing the tail to wiggle?

Have you tried loading down the passenger seat and seen any change in handling?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 05:52:40 AM »

Have you considered a steering stabilizer in the event it’s the front causing the tail to wiggle?

Have you tried loading down the passenger seat and seen any change in handling?

No rear wobbles, only front wobbles

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »

Have you road forced balanced your rims and tires vs just a standard balance to check them specifically or changed out the bearings as a precaution?

Our 04 pumpkin had a bad rim in the front

Have you ridden with a 2nd person at those speeds and seen the same problem.   I’ve noted with a BSR that with more weight on the bike that I didn’t see the same characteristic wobble / shake

Also have you taken a look at your swing arm bushings?

Good luck chasing it

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »

Have you road forced balanced your rims and tires    SAME EQUIPMENT YOU"D USE FOR YOUR AUTO OR TRUCK????

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

True-Track stabilizer for Touring 2014+
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »

Dave after replacing every bushing, heimjoint, neck bearing and the tires, along with laser alignment, manual ailment, we put the 04 rim on the machine and found a bad rim.   Replaced the rim and all good now.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »

Wow!  I didn't know the Road Force balance & alignment computer could be adapted for MC wheels & tires. I will only go to a tire dealer that has that equipment for my autos specifically.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 08:01:36 PM »

Dave sorry no car alignment but a great wishlist item.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »

:D

Dave sorry no car alignment but a great wishlist item.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »

I would go back at the steering head bearings. Mine was wobbling really bad when I let of the throttle at over 50 mph and it was loose head bearings. Then I changed my suspension front and rear and had a horrible woble on high speed turns! I adjusted my rear suspension to the proper sag, changed both front and rear tires and put on a klock Works windshield shield and that cleared it up. The Klock Works shield seems to help at the higher speeds.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »

I never had a wobble on my FXR4 CVO but I had one yesterday on my 98 Road King at 100. It was scary it lasted a few seconds too long. I ordered a True Track today to bolt up to my Baker Oil Pan.
It was very frightening. It made me wonder is this it? My last ride?
Bike was completely gone through 12k miles ago.  The 124" motor and Baker 6 speed Over Drive really likes to go fast with no effort at all.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 03:25:52 AM »

Lolo,
Change your fork oil ,it worked for me. I went to15w medium heavy, I would get that wobble at a higher speed in a bend or when leaning to lane change at a higher speed , same as you in the 70 to 80 mph range.
Since I put the heavier oil in I can be in the 70 to 90 range with no issues. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:30:23 AM by longlast »

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »

I have an öhlins fork kit FKC102 with the appropriate öhlins oil 1309.01 which viscosity is 19CST - 5W.

I will ask the öhlins guy if I can put a different oil. But not sure about that.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 03:59:40 PM »

I have an öhlins fork kit FKC102 with the appropriate öhlins oil 1309.01 which viscosity is 19CST - 5W.

I will ask the öhlins guy if I can put a different oil. But not sure about that.

All the 15w will stiffen the forks up a little,  it wouldn't hurt  anything.

For me anyway it stopped my wobbling  the front end felt like a hole new overhauled front end and I just went from 5w to 15w.

It's not hard to do if you do it your self , just need a vacuum brake bleeding  kit to pull the oil out and put the new in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:45:33 PM by longlast »

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 09:48:47 PM »

have you tried adding an extra 5psi to the tires?  Metz tires are typically a little softer than the stock Dunlops.  Might help
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 21 queries.